Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 08, 2017 09:41 |  #2131

dave_bass5 wrote in post #18295233 (external link)
Well my mkiv is due here tomorrow, i really cant wait.
I do have another question that i have looked for but cant find.

Ive read a few reviews that mention that due to the larger sensor in the mkiv you need to use faster shutter speeds for moving subjects to avoid blur as the subject passes over the sensor. The theory makes sense but i want to know if there is a guide line, like for hand holding, or is it just trial and error.

Or is is it just something to be aware of and not worry about it until i see issues?

I would stick with your 5D3 settings until you find a need to change. The AF system in the 5D4 is much better, and that might be enough to get more keepers (or at least the same amount) with moving subjects. If you have to shoot faster, it shouldn't be by more than 1/2 stop. And the improved ISO performance in the 5D4 can handle that. :-)

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

sponsored links
Dominia
167 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 08, 2017 09:53 |  #2132

5D Mark IV | Sigma 50mm f/1.4ART@3.5| ISO 100| 1/50-1000s

IMAGE: https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/55431/176701829.4/0_21b430_c6e85944_XXL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://fotki.yandex.r​u …album/522310/vi​ew/2208816  (external link)

IMAGE: https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/196486/176701829.4/0_21b42e_401305a6_XXL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://fotki.yandex.r​u …album/522310/vi​ew/2208814  (external link)

IMAGE: https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/196486/176701829.4/0_21b42c_dc9c03a0_XXL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://fotki.yandex.r​u …album/522310/vi​ew/2208812  (external link)

IMAGE: https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/196486/176701829.4/0_21b42f_f79c84a_XXL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://fotki.yandex.r​u …album/522310/vi​ew/2208815  (external link)

IMAGE: https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/55431/176701829.4/0_21b431_cffc4676_XXL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://fotki.yandex.r​u …album/522310/vi​ew/2208817  (external link)

IMAGE: https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/196486/176701829.4/0_21b42d_19f316c4_XXL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://fotki.yandex.r​u …album/522310/vi​ew/2208813  (external link)

www.antonmontbrillant.​com
5D Mark IV | 35/1.4L - 50/1.4ART - 135/2L
Mamiya 645AFD | Kodak ProBack | 80/1.9N - 80/2.8AF

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,093 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise.

Mar 08, 2017 10:04 |  #2133

Ive read a few reviews that mention that due to the larger sensor in the mkiv you need to use faster shutter speeds for moving subjects to avoid blur as the subject passes over the sensor. The theory makes sense but i want to know if there is a guide line, like for hand holding, or is it just trial and error.

Or is is it just something to be aware of and not worry about it until i see issues?

I had a 5D3 and have a 7D2. One change from the 7D2 is in one of the Case parameters. Accel/decel

The 7D2 adjustments are 0, 1, 2

The 5D4 adjustments are -2, -, 0, +1, +2 which is identical to the 1DX II.

Also the 5D4 offers the "detail set" which can be located on page 500 of the e manual. When you are in the custom settings and configuring the AF-ON and * buttons by pressing "info" you can add functions you might want activated.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpsjlefmebu.jp​g~original (external link)

If you press the Q button screen you get Q screen. Press info and another screen shows up that displays AF points and additional boxes so you can add extra functions.

Get the AF area switch working and that is about it. I basically copied my 7D2 base settings and within 15 minutes has it was all rigged to go. Very small learning curve.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

davidmtml
848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 08, 2017 11:10 |  #2134

My 5D IV was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (March 9), but yesterday I checked my tracking information and it showed that they had attempted a delivery! Unfortunately I had no idea it was coming, so nobody was home to sign for it. Now I have to suffer through a long day of work knowing that my new camera is sitting at the Post Office waiting for me to pick it up afterwards!

dexy101
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 08, 2017 11:25 |  #2135

davidmtml wrote in post #18295351 (external link)
My 5D IV was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (March 9), but yesterday I checked my tracking information and it showed that they had attempted a delivery! Unfortunately I had no idea it was coming, so nobody was home to sign for it. Now I have to suffer through a long day of work knowing that my new camera is sitting at the Post Office waiting for me to pick it up afterwards!

Oh the pain :-P

The worst thing about that for me is my post office collection place shuts at 12 so I always have to wait until the next day for collection. It's a killer.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List
1DX Mark II - 5D Mark IV - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II - 100mm f/2.8L 135L - 17-40L 50mm 1.8 stm 35mm 1.4 Sigma Art

ACESFULL82
683 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 08, 2017 12:05 as a reply to  @ davidmtml's post |  #2136

I had my 300 F2.8 done the same way, scheduled to be delivered on monday, when i got home on saturday they left a pink slip saying it was at the post office, they showed up 10 minutes after i left saturday. The post office is in another city from where i work so i drove like a mad man there on my lunch break monday only to wait in line for 20 minutes. Lol Got to open it and haul butt back to work, only had a few minutes to play with it.

Canon crap and Canon lenses

Itsed65
Goldmember
2,902 posts
Gallery: 1396 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 08, 2017 14:37 |  #2137

digital paradise wrote in post #18295274 (external link)
I would kill to have access to these birds you have. Two months I have been exploring the areas outside in grids. Mostly ravens and one Great Grey owl which is a regular at one site. Yesterday I finally saw an eagle but it was much too far away to get to. They are coming back. The geese are coming back by they are boring but good for practise

You are very fortunate.

Yes and No. I agree I am lucky as we have a lot of regional parks that are very well run in the east bay which provide good access to a lot of different birds. But the SF bay area is also home to some of the worst traffic in the country as about 7 million other people like living here as well. To get to the eagles, elk and such, I pretty much have to drive 1.5 to 2 hours away from the urban centers to get to see them, which I do regularly on weekends as I enjoy it. Migration season is coming to and end though and things will quiet down quickly until next fall.

The exception to that is that the Osprey will return to the bay area for nesting season any time now, and that is always good opportunity.

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 Sony A9 and RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,385 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Mar 08, 2017 15:11 |  #2138

I think it's a genuine concern.

I am such a lousy handheld shooter , especially with small lenses, I always go for double the focal length anyway.

But there is a setting in the auto ISO settings that will automatically increase the shutter speed if you like shooting in the auto modes.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,276 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 08, 2017 15:15 |  #2139

Hmm.. the sensor "size" is exactly the same, 36mm x 24mm. You have more pixels crammed in.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,300 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 08, 2017 15:21 |  #2140

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18295594 (external link)
Hmm.. the sensor "size" is exactly the same, 36mm x 24mm. You have more pixels crammed in.

Ok, that's nit picking as I'm sure you understood my question, but you are right anyway.

Thanks to the others that did give an answer to my question. As i dont have the camera yet I'm just going to keep shooting in the same way as before until i see an issue (might never see it).
Just to be clear, I'm not talking and camera shake, nor AF hit rate but I guess its just going to be trial and error.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,276 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 08, 2017 15:26 |  #2141

dave_bass5 wrote in post #18295603 (external link)
Ok, that's nit picking as I'm sure you understood my question, but you are right anyway.

Honest, I'm not nitpicking. I guess I don't understand why the 4 should have a worse shake problem than the 3. If an edge moves across 1.3 pixels instead of 1 pixel due to vibration, so what?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,380 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 08, 2017 16:11 |  #2142

Pre-dawn at the White Street Fishing Pier, Key West, FL.

IMAGE: http://www.cutwaterboatworks.com/potn/predawn.jpg

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,060 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 08, 2017 16:38 |  #2143

dave_bass5 wrote in post #18295603 (external link)

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18295607 (external link)
Honest, I'm not nitpicking.

I too misunderstood the question, just saying.

I Think I understand now, and my guess is those that are saying you need faster shutter speeds, ar3e following the same trend we see mentioning this with 5Ds, 7D2 etc.. and what it really means is, if you want to look at the images on your screen and see sharpness,. the crazy amount of detail is less forgiving.

I am not at all sure of this is really true, or if it's a chicken and the egg thing vs. standards going up as more detail is continuously being made more available with higher MP, ..

what I can say is that indeed, I do use much higher shutter speeds, but only because I CAN! The lower noise means I can happily shoot at much higher ISO and still have noise free images and faster shutter speeds for sharper images.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,385 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Mar 08, 2017 17:44 |  #2144

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18295656 (external link)
I too misunderstood the question, just saying.

I Think I understand now, and my guess is those that are saying you need faster shutter speeds, ar3e following the same trend we see mentioning this with 5Ds, 7D2 etc.. and what it really means is, if you want to look at the images on your screen and see sharpness,. the crazy amount of detail is less forgiving.

I am not at all sure of this is really true, or if it's a chicken and the egg thing vs. standards going up as more detail is continuously being made more available with higher MP, ..

what I can say is that indeed, I do use much higher shutter speeds, but only because I CAN! The lower noise means I can happily shoot at much higher ISO and still have noise free images and faster shutter speeds for sharper images.

I'm the same.... I use high SS as well. Mainly cause I do not like motion blur, and I never seem to shoot anything that is static.

This high ISO capabilities of the 5d4 is a godsend.

It's an awesome time to be into photography. You can do so much,

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,189 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 09, 2017 03:18 |  #2145

George Zip wrote in post #18295709 (external link)
I'm the same.... I use high SS as well. Mainly cause I do not like motion blur, and I never seem to shoot anything that is static.

This high ISO capability of the 5d4 is a godsend.

It's an awesome time to be into photography. You can do so much,

Well, if your shots are going to be printed at 18x13 inches then you might not notice that slight lack of extra sharpness. Personally trying to get shots up onto stock sites means they have to be sharp at 100%. Can I cheat and down sample, to a point yes but the larger the image the bigger chance of a sale (or certainly less chance of being overlooked if someone needs a high res image).

The 5D4 is a lot of things to a lot of people. I like the ability to take a wildlife shot 6500 pixels wide (or whatever it is) and being able to crop/noise reduce/ re-sample etc. 30MP allows a huge amount of flexibility and shooting over ISO3200 is as possible as it was with my 1Dx, maybe even better (if that shot is down sized). 5D4 has it's down sides but you gotta learn to live with 'em.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,476,000 views & 24,331 likes for this thread
-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.