Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 07 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 16:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SEO, naming images

Nascar ­ Nut
383 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 07, 2017 16:13 |  #1

I am starting to rename my images and want some input. An example is a photo of a grizzly and cub from Yellowstone. Now this mother bear is popular among the photographers out there and they have given her a name along with her cup. So here is what I was thinking. Raspberry-Snow-Yellowstone-001-2016, ,raspberry-snow-Yellowstone-001-2016, raspberry-snow-001-2016. Should I have a "&" between raspberry-snow? Maybe these names are to long. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
KC

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,194 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 07, 2017 22:49 |  #2

Is your target market limited to other photographers/people who know this particular bear by name? If not I would rethink the naming to include bear & cub. Raspberry Snow sounds even less pleasant than Yellow Snow.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 07, 2017 23:35 |  #3

:eek::eek:

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 08, 2017 11:37 |  #4

As Dan indicated keeping it more generic should produce more results. Try to prioritize from left to right, grizzly-bear-yellowstone-2016 (SEO doesn't care about your image ID but it doesn't hurt to keep it). File size length isn't a huge factor, try to keep it within 6-8 keywords is best. And no special characters or upper case.

Dan may clarify as I'm not sure, but you could possibly benefit from Raspberry Snow in alt-text field.

Nascar ­ Nut
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 08, 2017 12:29 |  #5

Thanks for the info. My target would be the general public so not everyone would be familiar with there names. Grizzly-bears-yellowstone-2016 would make more sense. Is adding the file name OK? I have multiple grizzly photos and need to number them.

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 08, 2017 12:44 as a reply to  @ Nascar Nut's post |  #6

Yes, that's fine. I'm primarily a concert photographer & often have multiple images. My format is artist-venue-yyyy-mm-dd-index.

There's lots more than just filename in optimizing for SEO. Here are a couple of good links for photographers.

http://www.foregroundw​eb.com …-guide-for-photographers/ (external link)

http://www.bourncreati​ve.com/optimize-images-photos-seo/ (external link)

http://www.zdnet.com …to-image-ranking-success/ (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by kjonnnn.

Mar 08, 2017 13:12 as a reply to  @ Nascar Nut's post |  #7

Organizationally it makes more sense to be 2016-yellowstone-bear-grizzly-01

Your computer would alphabetize it in more useful way this way.

I dont think SEO cares about your file names, your use of ALT tags is more important.

Nascar ­ Nut
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 08, 2017 13:52 |  #8

So under alt tag, maybe put the actual bears name? As far as SEO, just getting my images ready right now. Thanks for those links. I have been reading stuff about SEO, but was unclear exactly how I should name the images. I didn't want to get all that renaming done and find out I should have done it differently.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,909 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 09, 2017 15:47 |  #9

kjonnnn wrote in post #18295475 (external link)
Organizationally it makes more sense to be 2016-yellowstone-bear-grizzly-01

Your computer would alphabetize it in more useful way this way..

Ever since the 8-character filename became obsolete to be replaced with the 256-character (including path) filename, I've made full use of it. And I also name so that I have a hope of finding files without regard to any particular data management application.

My first characters are the date in yyyy-mm-dd format. Then the "jobname." Then the image number. The image number is actually the date/time/seconds/incr​ement-in-second the picture was taken. Last item is the last four characters of the camera serial number.

sponsored links

1,723 views & 3 likes for this thread
SEO, naming images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.