Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 11 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 17:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eagle at 1800mm and 603 feet away.

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,064 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2017 17:12 |  #1

I always like to test the limits of my camera gear and this morning was no different except that I actually looked at the exif data and was surprised at the distance I was sitting away from this eagle perched in it's nest tree.

The first image was at 1200mm using a Canon 600mm f/4L II with a 2XIII extender. The second image I added an older Kenko 1.5 non-reporting extender giving me a total of 1800mm focal length. I lost 2 stops of light but I was still able to autofocus and I was using my truck mirror to support the camera/lens.

These eagles are very skittish so I stay in my truck when I visit the nesting area. Not many people know about it's location and the ones that do don't bother visiting it because it's off the beaten path and it's a hard to reach nest with camera gear. There is also a limited view of the nest because of the trees surrounding the nest tree so there's not many opportunities for in-flights plus it's hard to swing a 600mm lens sitting inside a truck...lol.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

sponsored links
Eastcoast
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 11, 2017 18:19 |  #2

Those are some incredible stats Duane. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. You also managed to get some very impressive pictures! Bravo!

John
Be careful out there!

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 11, 2017 18:21 |  #3

Nice shots, Duane! These must have been taken early in the am. The seeing always seems to get bad for me as the day wears on and the refractive index of the air starts varying all over the place.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

txcanon
Goldmember
3,457 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 11, 2017 18:27 |  #4

Excellent results with the extra extender Duane. I have the same camera/lens combo and use my 2XIII all the time. In the past I've added my 1.4X III into the mix with poor results in IQ.

Brad
My Photo Gallery (external link)

Duane ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,064 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2017 18:40 |  #5

Eastcoast wrote in post #18298365 (external link)
Those are some incredible stats Duane. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. You also managed to get some very impressive pictures! Bravo!

When I used my 500mm lens I would stack 2-Canon 1.4 extenders and the Kenko 1.5 onto it but I would have to use an extension tube between two of the extenders so they would work. It was hard to focus but it did slowly....the results were sub-par to say the least.

Duane ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,064 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2017 18:42 |  #6

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18298368 (external link)
Nice shots, Duane! These must have been taken early in the am. The seeing always seems to get bad for me as the day wears on and the refractive index of the air starts varying all over the place.

Yes...about 45 minutes after sunrise and we had a clear day today. I hate doing this and won't do anything with the images but with this nest and the distance I always try different things rather than trying to get closer...the eagles will tolerate joggers running by but once someone stops if one is sitting on a branch it leaves.

Duane ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,064 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2017 18:44 |  #7

txcanon wrote in post #18298371 (external link)
Excellent results with the extra extender Duane. I have the same camera/lens combo and use my 2XIII all the time. In the past I've added my 1.4X III into the mix with poor results in IQ.

IQ with this setup is iffy to say the least...but sometimes the planets align and a few images are sharp enough to bother editing.

spitfirejd
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2017 08:55 |  #8

Now you're just showing off, buddy ;-)a Nice shots with all that hardware though, and kudos for not disturbing them.

Jeff
”Your eye must see a composition or expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera. The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone for ever.” Henri Cartier-Bresson

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 12, 2017 09:14 |  #9

Awesome shot!! Super stats!!!

Do you keep your lens in the car most of the time? I've missed a lot of opportunities being without my tele. I'd cry if I got it stolen!

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Duane ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,064 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 13, 2017 03:24 |  #10

spitfirejd wrote in post #18298707 (external link)
Now you're just showing off, buddy ;-)a Nice shots with all that hardware though, and kudos for not disturbing them.

Thanks Jeff. There are a few people around here that seem to forget a little word called ethics. Accidents happen but there are some that are accident prone or just dense...lol. I tend to stick by myself the last few years because it seems it's a reoccurring dream.

Duane ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,064 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 13, 2017 03:25 |  #11

4g63photo wrote in post #18298722 (external link)
Awesome shot!! Super stats!!!

Do you keep your lens in the car most of the time? I've missed a lot of opportunities being without my tele. I'd cry if I got it stolen!

No, my camera gear stays at home and is only allowed to go out and play with me supervising. :-) A decent insurance policy is a good way to protect you and your camera gear though just in case.

dm1215al
975 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Mar 13, 2017 05:14 |  #12

That's some nice photo's Duane considering the distance you were dealing with.

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
6,746 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 13, 2017 05:24 |  #13

I'd say you and gear aced this test. And technically hand-held, too. We'll done, Duane!

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

spitfirejd
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 13, 2017 06:32 as a reply to  @ Duane N's post |  #14

Good thing you haven't taught your gear how to drive yet  :p Seriously though, a good homeowner/renters policy with a personal articles floater for the expensive gear is a must. There is also specialized photographer's insurance, but I've never looked into that.

Jeff
”Your eye must see a composition or expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera. The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone for ever.” Henri Cartier-Bresson

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,288 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 13, 2017 08:00 |  #15

Duane,

Excellent shots!

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

sponsored links

2,840 views & 18 likes for this thread
Eagle at 1800mm and 603 feet away.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.