Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 13:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommended Battery Grip Canon 6d

Hodgecl
117 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 11, 2017 13:50 |  #1

I am looking to purchase a battery grip for my Canon 6d. I'm unsure whether I should purchase aftermarket 6d grip or canon grip.

Any recommendations? If so what are the prices?

sponsored links
mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 12, 2017 09:46 |  #2

I can't speak for the 6D grip but I recently purchased a 70D grip and went through a similar process of inquiry.

Searching through the PON forums, I found a couple favorable references to the MeiKe grip (there's a good recent discussion of the 5D mk IV MeiKe grip here). I've also seen favorable mentions of the Neewer grips here and there.

I've also had positive experiences with Vello products, although I haven't used their grips. Mostly tripod collars and remote timers and such.

For the 70D, the Canon grip goes for around $180 new online. Compare that to the MeiKe and Neewer grips, which go for around $40, and the Vello at $85 (which is the one I was leaning toward).

My concern about the third party grips was that the various online reviews describe a couple of problems that seem to crop up in a very small number of cases. Things like the batteries draining faster than expected, or the body losing contact with the grip periodically and having to turn the camera off and on again, or just mechanical fit and finish issues. Again, these problems were only mentioned in a small proportion of the reviews. My impression is that the majority of people who do buy the third party grips save a ton of money, and are perfectly happy with them.

I eventually purchased a "Used - Like New" Canon grip through Amazon for $125. More than any of the third party grips for sure, but less than the Canon would have been if I had bought it new so my cheapskate reflex was satisfied. Being a Canon grip, I feel confident that it's less likely to encounter the kinds of problems mentioned above. The grip is in like new condition as advertised, although it was missing paper instructions and the little bag for the unused battery holder. So far it's worked great, but I've only had it for a couple of weeks so I can't comment on its long term performance.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2017 11:02 |  #3

I had a 3rd party grip for my 500D. It worked just fine.
I had a Panasonic grip for my 60D. It worked just fine.
I had a 3rd party grip for my 70D. It worked just fine.

I tried at least three, maybe four, different 3rd party grips for my 6D. All of them would intermittently lose contact.
I bought a Canon grip for my 6D. It worked just fine.

You will never know how utterly bad an add-on grip feels until you pick up a 1D-series body. If you like grips, you'll fall in love with the feel of a 1DIV.

eddieb1
837 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 12, 2017 11:09 |  #4

Bassat wrote in post #18298774 (external link)
I had a 3rd party grip for my 500D. It worked just fine.
I had a Panasonic grip for my 60D. It worked just fine.
I had a 3rd party grip for my 70D. It worked just fine.

I tried at least three, maybe four, different 3rd party grips for my 6D. All of them would intermittently lose contact.
I bought a Canon grip for my 6D. It worked just fine.

You will never know how utterly bad an add-on grip feels until you pick up a 1D-series body. If you like grips, you'll fall in love with the feel of a 1DIV.

What Bassat said! Go with the Canon grip. You won't be sorry. Tried 3rd party grips on my 6D and none were anywhere near as good as the Canon.

Hodgecl
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 12, 2017 11:30 |  #5

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

My next question is.. whats the cheapest used site to purchase from. I know a lot of fake grips are on the eBay market. I don't know what to look for when compare the real vs fake.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,000 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 12, 2017 11:52 |  #6

I have a cheap grip on my 6D and it works fine but feels terrible next to the OEM unit on my 7D2. I would not trust it outside the studio and definitely not attached to a Black Rapic strap by the tripod lug on the bottom.

My aftermarket grip is a Xit brand. It was less than $40. My 7D2 grip was over $100 used and I bought it here, just been patient and jumped on it when it came up.

I have a question for you... why do you need a grip for your 6D? Reason I ask is because I rarely use mine as my 6D is mostly used for landscape and everyday use and I find an L bracket more useful. I suppose if I used it in the studio for portraiture a lot then it would be useful.

The additional weight/bulk of the grip is something I personally don't find very useful on that body. YMMV

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

mcoren
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 12, 2017 12:58 |  #7

Hodgecl wrote in post #18298791 (external link)
My next question is.. whats the cheapest used site to purchase from. I know a lot of fake grips are on the eBay market. I don't know what to look for when compare the real vs fake.

I bought my used 70D grip through Amazon. Usually below the main listing there's a link that says so many "Used and New". Maybe not as cheap as eBay or Craigslist or the PON sale forum, but since it's through Amazon, they handle the payment so you don't need cash and you don't have to give your credit card info to some unknown seller. Also there is some recourse if there is a problem.

MiamiC70
38 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 12, 2017 14:42 |  #8

So you bought a $1500 camera body, hopefully are going to spend $$$ on "L" lenses but that extra $179 for an OEM grip is going to break the bank?

Hodgecl
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 12, 2017 18:49 as a reply to  @ MiamiC70's post |  #9

Well MiamiC70 I don't know where to start...

I'm not trying to start an argument or get into a pissing match via the web.. but I was just asking people for their input because not all 3rd party accessories for Canon is junk.

I didn't say that the canon grip would "break" the bank. I was just wanting to know if any aftermarket grips are worth the savings. (Which it appears the canon route is the way to go)

I guess the moral of my reply is don't go on a thread and assume things. I wouldn't post anything derogatory or negative when someone is asking a question.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2017 18:55 |  #10

Hodgecl wrote in post #18299220 (external link)
Well MiamiC70 I don't know where to start...

I'm not trying to start an argument or get into a pissing match via the web.. but I was just asking people for their input because not all 3rd party accessories for Canon is junk.

I didn't say that the canon grip would "break" the bank. I was just wanting to know if any aftermarket grips are worth the savings. (Which it appears the canon route is the way to go)

I guess the moral of my reply is don't go on a thread and assume things. I wouldn't post anything derogatory or negative when someone is asking a question.

You are right to ask your valid question. I had 3rd party grips for at least 3 of my cameras that worked just fine. For the 6D, I had to go to a Canon grip. Different manufacturers making grips for several cameras are not all the same. Nothing wrong with trying to save a few bucks with an aftermarket product. As you state, "not all are junk."

mcoren
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by mcoren.

Mar 12, 2017 19:46 |  #11

MiamiC70 wrote in post #18298992 (external link)
So you bought a $1500 camera body, hopefully are going to spend $$$ on "L" lenses but that extra $179 for an OEM grip is going to break the bank?

For me personally, $179 would not “break the bank”. By purchasing used, however, I got the same OEM grip for $125 instead and pocketed $54. Many people may feel that even $125 is too much when there are third party alternatives available for well under $100. Whether those third party alternatives are “good enough” is up to the individual purchaser to decide.

If the Canon grip at $179 was the only option, I might have bought it anyway. Others might not. But in a free market, third parties can make their own grips and sell them at lower prices. That doesn’t mean Canon has to give out their exact mechanical specifications and tolerances, material choices, or details of the electrical protocol between the body and the grip, but they can’t stop a third party from attempting to reproduce them as best as they can. This is probably the cause of many of the fit and functionality issues that users of third party grips occasionally encounter.

At the end of the day, the grip contributes absolutely nothing to image quality. Zero. Zip. Nada. In fact, there’s a sizable population here on PON who will argue that a grip is totally unnecessary, and even an inexpensive one is a waste of money. That’s a personal choice. In my case, I have large hands and long fingers, and I felt that the grip would make it more comfortable for me to hold the camera.

Mike

eddieb1
837 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 13, 2017 11:06 |  #12

MiamiC70 wrote in post #18298992 (external link)

Everybody has a financial limit. If you don't, consider yourself extremely fortunate.

NemethR
861 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 13, 2017 11:24 |  #13

Hodgecl wrote in post #18298207 (external link)
I am looking to purchase a battery grip for my Canon 6d. I'm unsure whether I should purchase aftermarket 6d grip or canon grip.

Any recommendations? If so what are the prices?

I would go for the Canon one.
I had a grip for all my camerad (400D, 40D, 5D2, 5Ds) I really love them, all were Canon, and all were working great.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,995 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 13, 2017 17:03 as a reply to  @ Hodgecl's post |  #14

I think that you are asking a very valid question!

Back in the 20D to 50D days the third party grips that I have tried/used were better than the Canon offerings and were 1/2 to 1/4 the price!

After I bought my 7D2 I did buy the Canon grip, why? Because Canon had finally made a grip for a digital camera (some of their film camera grips were great) that actually connected firmly to the camera rather than being a floppy battery carrier that hung off the bottom.

I am not familiar with the grip for the 6D, but if it connects as solidly as the 7D2 grip then it is probably worth the extra. Try before you buy!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

mcoren
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by mcoren.

Mar 13, 2017 19:23 |  #15

johnf3f wrote in post #18300058 (external link)
(some of their film camera grips were great)

When I bought my EOS 100 in 1992 (Elan in the US), Canon sold a "Grip Extension" which gave you a place to hook your pinky for some extra stability. The modern concept of a "battery grip" had yet to evolve. Of course in those days, the battery was a non-rechargeable 2CR5 Lithium battery that cost about $9 and lasted 6 months easily if you didn't use the built-in flash.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

About a year later, they released a new Rebel model (it might have been the Rebel G) and its grip had a little fold-out tripod!

johnf3f wrote in post #18300058 (external link)
Back in the 20D to 50D days the third party grips that I have tried/used were better than the Canon offerings and were 1/2 to 1/4 the price!

I never got the grip for my 20D, but I vaguely recall that Canon had to recall all the ones they had sold a few months later for some reason.

Mike

sponsored links

9,553 views & 8 likes for this thread
Recommended Battery Grip Canon 6d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.