Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 10 May 2016 (Tuesday) 10:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SoCal Thread Part III: Home of the Hackers, Yackers, and B.I.F.'s!!!

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,955 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 14, 2017 10:56 |  #511

joonrhee wrote in post #18294699 (external link)
Recently had a very nice time watching a 4DX movie at CGV Buena Park.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

thanks for posting this. I totally forgot that there was one opening locally. last Friday I was debating whether to watching kong or not and then I saw these pictures and saw it being available in 4d so I thought it would be a great watch. and it turns out it was lots of fun and we had an enjoyable time watching it. kong in 4d.. id recommend it :)

sponsored links
joonrhee
Goldmember
3,825 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 14, 2017 11:20 |  #512

peeaanuut wrote in post #18300622 (external link)
next time you head up there, on the same level is a mexican restaurant that just opened. My buddy is executive chef there. Gift it a try.

Will give it a try next time. Do you know the name of the restaurant? I looooove Mexican food!!

DTBaan wrote in post #18300733 (external link)
thanks for posting this. I totally forgot that there was one opening locally. last Friday I was debating whether to watching kong or not and then I saw these pictures and saw it being available in 4d so I thought it would be a great watch. and it turns out it was lots of fun and we had an enjoyable time watching it. kong in 4d.. id recommend it :)

You're welcome and I'm very glad to hear you had a great time!

a7RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,806 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Mar 14, 2017 13:19 |  #513

navydoc wrote in post #18300646 (external link)
As seen from my driveway yesterday. Poppies blossoming on the hills looking towards Beaumont and Big Bear beyond.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RFT9​qT  (external link)

That scene is extremely compelling. Makes me really want to be out there hiking amongst the poppies.......but it all looks so extremely steep! Are there any established trails out there where the poppies are?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 14, 2017 14:25 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #514

Hi Tom, the Walker Canyon and Chino Hills areas all have plenty of trails and fire roads for poppy viewing. Notice the trails from these iPhone pics.
Not sure about the area from Navy Doc.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2017 15:48 |  #515

Took the kids out to Walker Canyon last night. Ugh. It took us a wee bit longer to get there that what the GPS predicted, so that by the time we got there the sun was about to set and the poppies had all closed up for the night. Place was definitely crowded, and trampled. Still pretty good views though, and the girls had fun running up and down the side of the hill.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3868/33060238300_8fa4b9e4ae_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Snqn​3C  (external link) Amelia and Natasha Standing in Walker Canyon (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3774/32590622654_b9bf45d69c_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RDVs​F9  (external link) Natasha in the "Superbloom™" at Walker Canyon (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Canon ­ Dog
969 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 14, 2017 16:01 |  #516

PixelPusher wrote in post #18300909 (external link)
Hi Tom, the Walker Canyon and Chino Hills areas all have plenty of trails and fire roads for poppy viewing. Notice the trails from these iPhone pics.
Not sure about the area from Navy Doc.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by PixelPusher in
./showthread.php?p=183​00909&i=i24014627
forum: Member Activities

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by PixelPusher in
./showthread.php?p=183​00909&i=i14724307
forum: Member Activities

Robert I took this trail this morning. I was there for about 3 hours and only saw 2 people for 5 minutes. I am glad you posted pictures or I would have never gone here. Thanks

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 14, 2017 17:50 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #517

Looks pretty good to me. My two daughters run from my camera....-?

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 14, 2017 17:53 as a reply to  @ Canon Dog's post |  #518

Hi Paul,

Glad you got to go there, Sunday was insane by 10:30. We got there around 8:00 before it got too crowded. Crazy blooms for sure, post some up!!!

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,543 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 14, 2017 21:30 |  #519

joonrhee wrote in post #18300752 (external link)
Will give it a try next time. Do you know the name of the restaurant? I looooove Mexican food!!

You're welcome and I'm very glad to hear you had a great time!

The restaurant is called La Huasteca. Its on the 3rd level in the south west corner of the complex.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 15, 2017 00:34 |  #520

Super Bloom = Super Crowd

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Poppy-field/i-pTK4m8K/0/XL/3G3A9695-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://cone.smugmug.c​om …ield/i-pTK4m8K/A&lb=1&s=A  (external link)
poppy field (external link) by cone (external link) on Smugmug

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Poppy-field/i-jJH9hJS/0/XL/3G3A9602-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://cone.smugmug.c​om …ield/i-jJH9hJS/A&lb=1&s=A  (external link)
poppy field (external link) by cone (external link) on Smugmug

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,631 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 15, 2017 06:53 |  #521

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18300851 (external link)

That scene is extremely compelling. Makes me really want to be out there hiking amongst the poppies.......but it all looks so extremely steep! Are there any established trails out there where the poppies are?

I'm not sure about that particular area Tom. That was taken from my house using my 100-400L @ 400mm. I'm sure there are areas nearby equally covered with poppies where there is access.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. (3 edits in all)

Mar 15, 2017 09:56 |  #522

navydoc wrote in post #18301447 (external link)
I'm not sure about that particular area Tom. That was taken from my house using my 100-400L @ 400mm. I'm sure there are areas nearby equally covered with poppies where there is access.

I love the steepness and ruggedness and the overall remoteness of that area you showed us. I think that would pretty much keep others out, and if one were there they would have it completely to themselves. Others have shown local poppy meadows, but they are overrun with people by time late morning rolls around, as access seems quite easy and the terrain not very steep or particularly rugged.

If one wants to spend a whole day in expansive poppy meadows and never have another human anywhere near them at any time, the area you showed us seems to be a spot where this would be possible! However, if there are no trails, then just getting into the area could be quite a difficult endeavor.

It's pretty amazing that that is the view from your driveway! You must live at quite an elevation - several hundred feet above the valley floor, at least.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,631 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by navydoc.

Mar 15, 2017 10:31 |  #523

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18301575 (external link)

I love the steepness and ruggedness and the overall remoteness of that area you showed us. I think that would pretty much keep others out, and if one were there they would have it completely to themselves. Others have shown local poppy meadows, but they are overrun with people by time late morning rolls around, as access seems quite easy and the terrain not very steep or particularly rugged.

If one wants to spend a whole day in expansive poppy meadows and never have another human anywhere near them at any time, the area you showed us seems to be a spot where this would be possible! However, if there are no trails, then just getting into the area could be quite a difficult endeavor.

It's pretty amazing that that is the view from your driveway! You must live at quite an elevation - several hundred feet above the valley floor, at least.

Tom, the elevation where I live is about 1600' above sea level and is in a valley. To the north is a line of hills with a higher valley and then the San Bernardino mountain range beyond. The town of Beaumont happens to be in that higher valley at this point and the 10 Freeway goes by it. Big Bear is in the mountains behind that around this point.

Here's a wider angle of the steep hills with the poppies north of where I live and a section from Google maps where I placed a "line of sight" from my house towards the poppy fields in those hills.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Mar 15, 2017 10:35 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #524

Oh, my goodness! I got fooled! In that photo you posted in post #509, I really thought you took it from a level equal to the poppy slopes. Never would have imagined you were aiming the camera up at such an angle.

No wI can see why those slopes are so compelling to me - such ruggedness! I can't help but to wonder what wildlife is up there amongst the blooms.

The utility towers I see at the top - they have to have an access road leading to them........probably a rugged, rutted little two-track dirt road. Is it possible to drive on the access road? If so, then you could drive all the way to the top, park near the towers, then hike down to the poppy patches from there. We have utility towers placed atop mountains and buttes here in my area, and the roads to them are not secured or posted, so anyone who figures it out and has a capable vehicle can drive up them without getting arrested for trespassing. It can be a pretty good way to get up into lonely areas that otherwise would be inaccessible.

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,825 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 15, 2017 11:27 |  #525

peeaanuut wrote in post #18301262 (external link)
The restaurant is called La Huasteca. Its on the 3rd level in the south west corner of the complex.

I am very familiar with that restaurant. I haven't been to the new one in Buena Park yet, but been to the one in Lynwood quite a few times. It is a fancy Mexican restaurant with great food, drinks, and service. I'll check out the one in BP one day. Thanks for the heads up!

a7RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

168,263 views & 2,005 likes for this thread
SoCal Thread Part III: Home of the Hackers, Yackers, and B.I.F.'s!!!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.