Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 15 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 15:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Seriously thinking about moving to nikon

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 18, 2017 06:42 |  #16

Another thing to consider is the buttons and menus. being a Canon user, I find it all so intuitive. I used Nikon when at work and disliked the fact that a lot of 'easy' stuff was hidden in menus. In fact someone I was talking to recently who'd borrowed a Nikon to do a course and told me they'd gone and bought a Canon camera the other day because they couldn't get on with the Nikon and found Canon so easy. So just bear that in mind! Just an opinion :-)

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,631 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 18, 2017 06:51 |  #17

joedlh wrote in post #18301857 (external link)
How many people to whom you have shown your pictures have observed the following?

1. Wow, man a Nikon would have given your vastly better dynamic range.
  2. Too bad your camera's autofocus was so slow. You would have gotten that shot.
  3. Too bad you missed the key moment of that pass reception. More frames per second in a Nikon would have nailed it.
  4. I'd really like to print that picture large and hang it in Grand Central Station, but 20mp just isn't going to cut it.

If you're bored with Canon and want to go over to Nikon, then go for it. But any inferiority of the gear you have compared to a Nikon is marginal at best. The differences are apparent only on paper -- and I don't mean print paper. Pixel peeping is the road to madness and empty wallets.

Truer words were never spoken.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Drums
46 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Mar 18, 2017 15:51 |  #18

The Grass is always greener on the other side...... I was very tempted by the nikons, but then I thought to myself, that in a few months , they will all be in line for an upgraded model. (it will come at some point!!) so I just went sold my 3.5 year old 5d3 and bought the mark iv, which although very similar really seems to be a significant upgrade over the 3 in IQ, AF speed/reponsiveness and also at higher ISO. but that is just my opinion of it.

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by quickben.

Mar 18, 2017 16:53 |  #19

Hannya wrote in post #18304016 (external link)
Another thing to consider is the buttons and menus. being a Canon user, I find it all so intuitive. I used Nikon when at work and disliked the fact that a lot of 'easy' stuff was hidden in menus. In fact someone I was talking to recently who'd borrowed a Nikon to do a course and told me they'd gone and bought a Canon camera the other day because they couldn't get on with the Nikon and found Canon so easy. So just bear that in mind! Just an opinion :-)

This is the main reason I came back to Canon after a brief foray into Nikon-land. I just couldn't get used to the ergonomics of the three Nikon bodies I spent time with (D5100, D700 and a borrowed D600), the main culprits being the front control dial and back button focusing. It always felt awkward and un-intuitive.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by 98kellrs. (2 edits in all)

Mar 18, 2017 17:16 |  #20

This is a pretty strongly Canon-biased forum, so expect a fair bit of scepticism.

I was in a similar boat a couple of years ago; I wanted to step up to full frame and the choice was either 5D3, or D800. Everyone is right, the performance is essentially the same, and the button layout is different, however for me the colour rendition straight from camera is what drove me to Nikon.

Canon images, to me at least, are flat and just lack colour. I will certainly concede though that Canon's line of lenses is marginally superior depending on our usage. Another interesting point I've found is that when I was with Canon, I always wanted to upgrade to the latest model. I don't find that at all with my D800. I've had it for several years now and I wouldn't dream of selling it any time soon even though it has been superseded.

Interestingly, I've found a similar situation in mirrorless systems. The mirrorless king (Sony) I found to be too clinical and characterless, whereas the Fuji X series is just stunning in all aspects.

At the end of the day, it's a preference though, there is definitely no right or wrong answer.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by tdlavigne. (2 edits in all)

Mar 18, 2017 18:15 |  #21

Nikon has all the comparable glass you need, although the Canon 70-200 f4L is a gem especially at that price.

16-35mm f4 (most reviews say it's OK, but nothing stellar. Best IQ would be the 14-24 at a premium price of course...your lens is generally considered to be much better)
24-70 f2.8 G (can be found used for ~$900 now)
50mm 1.8G is sharper and focuses faster than the 1.4G
105 2.8 Micro
85mm 1.8 should be on your radar, considered to be the best performance/dollar prime
70-200 f4 VR

If you're open to buying used you can score all the above for around ~$3600. New would probably be closer to $5500

That being said, I'd just go for the 5DIV. You've got decent enough glass already, and I don't know the used Canon market anymore...but who knows if you'll get $3600 for your lenses and body; and another $2000-$2600 to cover a FF Nikon. Seems easier/cheaper to just spend the $2000 on the MkIV. Unless you absolutely NEED more DR, the other differences are negligible...only DR is the real noticeable difference. It is a big difference though, despite what others might say (having gone from 5DII/70D/5DIII to D610/800e myself). The resolution isn't that big a jump from my 24mp D610 to 36mp D800e either. It's there...but it's not like "Wow! So much more detail!". I doubt you'd notice it much in use between the 5D's 30mp and the 810's 36mp.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,158 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 18, 2017 19:06 |  #22

Forget about DR and just go get a used 5D3.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by quickben.

Mar 18, 2017 20:57 |  #23

98kellrs wrote in post #18304521 (external link)
This is a pretty strongly Canon-biased forum, so expect a fair bit of scepticism.

I was in a similar boat a couple of years ago; I wanted to step up to full frame and the choice was either 5D3, or D800. Everyone is right, the performance is essentially the same, and the button layout is different, however for me the colour rendition straight from camera is what drove me to Nikon.

Canon images, to me at least, are flat and just lack colour. I will certainly concede though that Canon's line of lenses is marginally superior depending on our usage. Another interesting point I've found is that when I was with Canon, I always wanted to upgrade to the latest model. I don't find that at all with my D800. I've had it for several years now and I wouldn't dream of selling it any time soon even though it has been superseded.

Interestingly, I've found a similar situation in mirrorless systems. The mirrorless king (Sony) I found to be too clinical and characterless, whereas the Fuji X series is just stunning in all aspects.

At the end of the day, it's a preference though, there is definitely no right or wrong answer.

A good example of how everyone's tastes and needs differ. The other main reason I went back to Canon was that I much preferred the skin tones to that from the Nikons I had tried. Much more warmth and vibrancy.

Also, it's for this reason that I have an itch to try the Fuji cameras to see what all the fuss is about. They're just a bit expensive new to have as a second system, unfortunately. I'll probably give it a go when the used price of a X-T2 drops a bit.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

DesolateMirror
347 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 19, 2017 00:54 |  #24

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18302312 (external link)
I use a D750 at work and shoot with a 6D at home (work and personal stuff). At ISO 100 the Nikon does have noticeably more exposure latitude but as ISO increases, any advantage disappears quickly.

Frankly, despite having read a little about it in the past, I was surprised to see for myself how quickly noise creeps into the Nikon files. ISO 200 is indistinguishable from 100 on my 6D and I use it often without giving it any thought of harming the files at all. 400 is very, very, close. On the Nikon I can see the difference between 100 and 200 with just minor shadow pushing.

You must have a very good eye because you're pretty much spot on for where the D750's dynamic range advantages disappear in terms of higher ISO shooting, vs a 6D.

TheNewLegend wrote in post #18301813 (external link)
Any advice?

Add the 6D, 5DIV and D750 to the graph here: http://www.photonstoph​otos.net/Charts/PDR.ht​m (external link) You will see where the DR advantages are lost at higher ISO. For fun you can add the A99ii and the A7Rii.

I guess it depends if you shoot most of your shots above or below ~800 ISO (6D vs D750). At ISO 200 the 5Div and D750 DR is pretty much the same all the way up the scale, D750 only has an advantage at ISO 100.

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 19, 2017 00:56 |  #25

quickben wrote in post #18304661 (external link)
A good example of how everyone's tastes and needs differ. The other main reason I went back to Canon was that I much preferred the skin tones to that from the Nikons I had tried. Much more warmth and vibrancy.

Also, it's for this reason that I have an itch to try the Fuji cameras to see what all the fuss is about. They're just a bit expensive new to have as a second system, unfortunately. I'll probably give it a go when the used price of a X-T2 drops a bit.

That's another thing I forgot to mention; I am pretty much happy with my Nikon kit, but I do miss the way Canon renders colors and especially skin tones. The starting point is much easier to work with than the Nikons, which to me seem dull/lifeless without any post work. So there's trade-offs to everything...I get more resolution and DR, but lose the opportunity to get great processing of files straight out of camera. Something else for anyone considering switching...maybe rent first to see if it's ok.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Mar 19, 2017 18:16 |  #26

joedlh wrote in post #18301857 (external link)
Pixel peeping is the road to madness and empty wallets.

It seems like what the mythical mom says to her son(s) is true,

"If you don't stop doing that, you'll go BLIND, and poor!"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

power ­ shot
56 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 24, 2017 07:41 |  #27

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18304598 (external link)
Forget about DR and just go get a used 5D3.

nice, the OP specifically wants better DR and the best you can come up with is for them to ignore what they want because you say so, what a stupid post

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,302 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post edited over 2 years ago by joedlh. (2 edits in all)

Mar 24, 2017 08:14 |  #28

power shot wrote in post #18309468 (external link)
nice, the OP specifically wants better DR and the best you can come up with is for them to ignore what they want because you say so, what a stupid post

You're relatively new to this forum. The comment to which you responded is the poster's opinion regarding reasons why one would switch systems. If the goal is to get images with clearly better dynamic range to the human eye, then a used 5D3 is a reasonable and less costly alternative. If the goal is to have the best dynamic range anywhere even if the human eye could not discern it outside of an optical laboratory, then the thousands of dollars expended on a new system may be worth the while. It basically comes down to whether the original poster wanted better photographs or was a gear head. You comment did not contribute to that discussion in my view.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,631 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 24, 2017 08:49 |  #29

This is crass and just plain rude. Try to act like a mature adult in these conversations please.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,158 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 24, 2017 09:03 |  #30

Better DR was one of the four things they wished for. Read the entire paragraph and you will understand why I posted that a used 5D3 would be a good choice, one that won't break the bank.

GAS and gear envy will cause a lot of people to have high credit card balances when with a few minor concessions most can be happy with the last generation of gear and the system they are already in and accustomed to. Chasing small increments in DR by switching to an entirely new system is just silly IMHO. If you have the coin to do it then all power to you. Go for it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

22,315 views & 145 likes for this thread
Seriously thinking about moving to nikon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.