Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,214 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 18, 2017 15:00 |  #16591

wesjr wrote in post #18304366 (external link)
Two from yesterday evening at the Alligator Farm. Didn't see vast numbers of roosting birds.

Not sure why..

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine Beach, FL

Canon 5Ds , Canon EOS - 7D Mk II, Panasonic Lumix LX 100, Canon Pixma Pro 10 Printer, Sekonic L- 358 incident/ flash meter, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 USM, Canon EF 24- 105 f/4 IS, Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 70 -200 mm.L f/4, Sigma 180 mm. HSM f/3.5 EX DG APO Macro IF AF, Canon EF 100- 400 mm. F/4.5- 5.6 L IS, Canon EF 500 mm. f/4 L IS, 1.4 TC, 12 & 25 mm. Ext. tubes, Better Beamer, Canon 580 EX II flash.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by wesjr in
./showthread.php?p=183​04366&i=i54717797
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by wesjr in
./showthread.php?p=183​04366&i=i200269376
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Still looks like a productive visit!

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
jccj58
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 18, 2017 15:12 |  #16592

One from Viera Wetlands in Melbourne, Florida. 3/7/17

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2839/32671914804_0e1bf7aec9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RM76​ZW  (external link) 000-AAA (external link) by John (external link), on Flickr

---------------

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,857 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 18, 2017 15:20 |  #16593

TeleFragger wrote in post #18304299 (external link)
yeah for the birds I was trying @ 1/1000 not 1/100... the ones above are @ 1/100... I know I coulda gone higher but didn't think it was needed...

and also that LR plugin is deceiving. I didn't notice it said 0 focus achieved.. but had the red boxes like it did...

DPP once again shows why its so good... grrrr yeah 0 points... was auto focusing BBF the entire time..

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T4vh​dn  (external link) DPP (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

Like Jeff said overcast is not the greatest for the light hungry 7D2. I hate shooting in it. The 7D2 is remarkably good at picking out the closest object. Zone may have not been the preferred choice by some but I have shot using it quite a bit in busy environments. I like to shoot in large and 65 point zone using cases 5 and 6. AF switching becomes faster. For precise tracking I like case 2 with TS set to -2. Single point, expansion and I have been trying out small zone as well.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,857 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by digital paradise.

Mar 18, 2017 15:25 |  #16594

Here they are on the wings

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zps51k05agc.jp​g~original (external link)

Bird moved before AF points caught but still in focus because TS is set t -2.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpszbo4orte.jp​g~original (external link)

Gulls for practice. This is in small zone.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zps59mvqlhr.jp​g~original (external link)

Image Editing OK

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 18, 2017 15:27 |  #16595

Large Zone AF worked great for me to get my killdeer shots in the following post I put up a few days ago

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18299475

Remember that in zone AF, the CLOSEST object is picked for focusing. It is possible that for a large bird like an egret or a heron, the wingtip will be in focus and the eye may not, so I don't know if zone is the best for it, but for a duck, and if you are shooting at a smaller aperture, it might be fine. The advantage of zone AF is that it does not get confused by any BG stuff. I had the case settings at (-2, 1,1) for the killdeer shots

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Gallery: 306 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by mikeivan.

Mar 18, 2017 16:42 |  #16596

TeleFragger wrote in post #18304213 (external link)
so what could I do to make it better????

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SPuq​P3  (external link) 191A9917 (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T4m4​f6  (external link) AFPoint (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

was done with 1.4 tele hence 280mm

Got a lot to learn with BIF

There is a parameter discussed on page 117 and 118 of the 7dii online manual called "first and second image priority. Basically, it lets you tell the camera whether you are more interested in "getting the shot" or getting the focus correct. I have mine both set for "focus priority". OOF shots don't do much for me. Not sure if this would help in your case, I believe the factory setting is "equal priority".

The 7dii takes time to master and requires patience, but it has helped me improve the quality of my BIF images considerably. I love the 65 point zone setting, it helps compensate for my inadequate panning skills. Keep at it, perhaps with some easier subjects to start.

Attached is an example from this morning in my backyard. This White-winged Dove was in view for only a couple of seconds. When I first raised the camera and pressed the shutter button, nothing happened because he was on the very edge of the viewfinder. I caught up to him, the camera fired twice and he was gone (they are very fast flyers). This is cropped a bit and is way more satisfying to me than a string of ten or so out-of-focus images.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MIKEIVAN

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 18, 2017 17:02 |  #16597

I have both set as well to focus...

I just cant get used to the 65pt as it never locks on what i want it to.

Is there a setting to tell it lock center pt then follow while in 65pt af mode?

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 18, 2017 17:16 |  #16598

TeleFragger wrote in post #18304509 (external link)

The answer is yes, but in saying that the 7DII is a very highly customizable camera. There are videos and the manual that can remove some of the fog if you know what I mean. I think we have all gone over it 20 time just to get a handle on the parts we have customized to our liking.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,857 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by digital paradise.

Mar 18, 2017 17:32 |  #16599

TeleFragger wrote in post #18304509 (external link)

I just watched a Grant Atkinson video on the 7D2. He sets his to Release. It's not that it won't focus, it just does not cycle the focus confirmation multiple times. I had mine set to Focus but about 6 months ago went back to the factory settings of Equal.

https://www.youtube.co​m …o2XsUgezBDkuyUF​hy&index=4 (external link)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,857 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 18, 2017 17:54 |  #16600

1st and 2nd priority have no bearing on initial AF acquisition. We have very little control over that. It is all about contrast. Either the camera sees it or it doesn't. We don't have a fine tuning setting for contrast. It also depends on the age of our equipment, what type of AF point we are working with - cross type or dual cross type. 1st and 2nd priority just control confirmation of the initial AF acquisition.

Neither do the case numbers. I have read every document Canon has released and did controlled tests to see for myself. The camera on a tripod and I chose a high contrast image. I taped and marked the barrel so I would defocus the same amount each time between each test. I tested with TS -2 and TS +2. There was no noticeable difference in AF acquisition time, but between the two there was a big difference how long the AF hung on when I moved the AF point off the target. Which is basically TS's job.

I don't know how that could be tested in the field. No bird or second bird flies exactly the same way twice, slight changes in light, different colouring patterns of a bird and you can't place the AF point on the exact same spot every time.

Image Editing OK

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader.

Mar 18, 2017 18:28 |  #16601

digital paradise wrote in post #18304551 (external link)
1st and 2nd priority have no bearing on initial AF acquisition. We have very little control over that. It is all about contrast. Either the camera sees it or it doesn't. We don't have a fine tuning setting for contrast. It also depends on the age of our equipment, what type of AF point we are working with - cross type or dual cross type. 1st and 2nd priority just control confirmation of the initial AF acquisition.

Neither do the case numbers. I have read every document Canon has released and did controlled tests to see for myself. The camera on a tripod and I chose a high contrast image. I taped and marked the barrel so I would defocus the same amount each time between each test. I tested with TS -2 and TS +2. There was no noticeable difference in AF acquisition time, but between the two there was a big difference how long the AF hung on when I moved the AF point off the target. Which is basically TS's job.

I don't know how that could be tested in the field. No bird or second bird flies exactly the same way twice, slight changes in light, different colouring patterns of a bird and you can't place the AF point on the exact same spot every time.

And that is not saying DP will or will not get a better image standing next to a second shooter with totally differnt settings. So the answer is make it your own and you will get what you want from this camera... Until the next one comes along. I follow no one but make my own path. !!

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,214 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 18, 2017 18:28 |  #16602

digital paradise wrote in post #18304551 (external link)

Agreed. There seems to be no way to do semi-systematic tests to learn what works best or to tune settings for BIF. So we are left to stay on default or guess at settings or follow someone's advice for BIF events that are unpredictable.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

edmidlifecrisis
Goldmember
3,440 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 18, 2017 19:48 |  #16603

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3935/33518857745_2a485357a8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T4WU​Cr  (external link) Snail kite, female (external link) by Ed Spenser (external link), on Flickr

Ed
https://www.sandhillim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,214 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by Immaculens.

Mar 18, 2017 19:59 |  #16604

? I posted a question on this thread a few hours ago regarding the 4-helper expanded AF vs the 8-helper expanded AF, and it was replied to by Jake the Moderator (Cyberdyne Systems) - who replied that he usually uses the 8-helper

and it has been deleted....

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,214 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 18, 2017 20:11 |  #16605

Immaculens wrote in post #18304633 (external link)
? I posted a question on this thread a few hours ago regarding the 4-helper expanded AF vs the 8-helper expanded AF, and it was replied to by Jake the Moderator (Cyberdyne Systems) - who replied that he usually uses the 8-helper

and it has been deleted....

I think it is here.
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18304364

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links

7,680,121 views & 96,209 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.