Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader.

Mar 19, 2017 19:15 |  #16651

TeleFragger wrote in post #18305467 (external link)
lol I know this all too well.. Ive been using my t2i since 2009 the venture into this!!!!
the 7dm2 has the capabilities but one has to grasp them all to truly know the power!!!! ill get there.. hah

Listen its ok to vent a little, thousands have been before you. Just so you know I shoot mostly in centre point but will move to centre group sometimes but the subject must fill 1/3 to a half the view finder or you not giving the camera a chance at all. If your looking for sharpness where you want it. IMO

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 19, 2017 19:20 |  #16652

Also remember that ALL the zone modes including 65 point, will focus on the NEAREST thing. If that's a blade of grass 10 feet in front of the soccer player or a ripple in the lake 10feet in front of the duck, then you're going to get an OOF shot. So, you need to be careful of when to use the zone modes. I've had good luck with zone when I have birds sufficiently off the ground so that I don't accidentally focus on a foreground object. In that case, you'll get goo results. Otherwise, if you are in a cluttered situation, one of the expanded clusters, either 5pt or 9pt may be a better choice.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,212 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 19, 2017 19:38 |  #16653

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18305105 (external link)
DP and others, what's your best/fastest method for switching cases?

I've gone back and forth with between going into the Case menu and picking one of the preprogrammed cases, versus having the 3 individual parameters as items in the custom menu and tweaking each individually. But both take time. I wish case selection was in the quick menu, or we could assign it to one of the wheels.

The only thing that has come to mind is using the C1/2/3 on the top left dial.

I suppose one could eventually get the feel of it while looking into the VF - but otherwise it is really just a quick look and turn of the dial...

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 19, 2017 20:28 |  #16654

Immaculens wrote in post #18305486 (external link)
The only thing that has come to mind is using the C1/2/3 on the top left dial.

I suppose one could eventually get the feel of it while looking into the VF - but otherwise it is really just a quick look and turn of the dial...

Ive been shooting this camera since 20/10/2014 and I don't remember ever wanting to switch case's quickly but you can set the button beside the AF-ON button ( star) to be any set of setups you like including AF selection. I use the q button then move to the camera icon on the back screen, second down the list press info for detail setup.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 19, 2017 20:33 |  #16655

Pondrader wrote in post #18305515 (external link)
Ive been shooting this camera since 20/10/2014 and I don't remember ever wanting to switch case's quickly but you can set the button beside the AF-ON button ( star) to be any set of setups you like including AF selection. I use the q button then move to the camera icon on the back screen, second down the list press info for detail setup.

I'm thinking more of AF set point.. either left middle or right... that could work using the C switches but still a pita...

and thx for the slight talk.. not a vent.. it is challenging but I'm not paid to do this so all good..

I love this and have fun with it. had a blast shooting today. cant wait till games start and you will see more of me..

glad I'm also not the only one that uses other things other than center point. I have gone to the 3x3 box within center point mainly and choose that mostly...

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 19, 2017 20:59 |  #16656

Pondrader wrote in post #18305515 (external link)

Well, that's sorta what I've done. The AF-ON is hard set for Case 1 single point for static subjects. The * button is set for current case, current AF mode. I leave the camera on a default of tweaked case 2 and 9 point center point +focus assist. That way, it's AF-ON for static birds and *for BIF in an instant. If I need to switch cases for BIF, I.e. say go from Case 2 to Case 5 or 6, that's when things take more time,. because the only way to do it is to go into the menu and switch it. Now, if the M-Fn button gave me the ability to cycle through the cases, that would be awesome but unfortunately, it doesn't do that.

Sam
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

gschlact
1,318 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by gschlact.

Mar 19, 2017 21:42 |  #16657

Pondrader wrote in post #18304890 (external link)
Over christmas through January I had two 100-400LII and two 7DII's trying to figure out why I was getting odd looking images. they didn't look motion blur, they looked like the images people complain about just not right, off somehow. I switched out of mode 3 of which Ive been using most of the fall and BOOM problem gone. So I'm back to mode2 for most everything. Everything Ive posted the last few months is just off hand. tripods buggin me these days

Does this mean your are nicknaming Mode 2 the Shiver Mode? (Dec/Jan)

gschlact
1,318 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2017 21:46 |  #16658

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18305105 (external link)
DP and others, what's your best/fastest method for switching cases?

I've gone back and forth with between going into the Case menu and picking one of the preprogrammed cases, versus having the 3 individual parameters as items in the custom menu and tweaking each individually. But both take time. I wish case selection was in the quick menu, or we could assign it to one of the wheels.

I put the three subcase settings in a custom menu.
I almost never change them though.

gschlact
1,318 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2017 21:49 |  #16659

TeleFragger wrote in post #18305389 (external link)
yall went crazy with this... ITS GREAT!!!!

so I did more testing...

I tried case 1, 2 and 6 and also 65 point AF.. I had intermittent issues getting AF to lock on who I wanted it to, in addition when it locked it still bounced all over and didn't ignore some objects... was frustrating but I got some good stuff...

soccer just get out and play.. they cancelled our games which stinks.. our 2nd game cancelled and weather isn't that bad.

I really like this pic of my kid.. it is a SUPER CROP!!!! to which I show below.. and the focus points in DPP are not on my kid!!!!

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T6G9​Ht  (external link) UnitedWarmups (31 of 36) (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

AF Points

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RRHb​2Z  (external link) RiggsCropAFPts (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

Mega Crop

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T6G2​Tr  (external link) RiggsCrop (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

another interesting one

super crop and the board in the back is tack sharp (to my eyes)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RRHe​ER  (external link) UnitedWarmups (21 of 36) (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

AF points

https://flic.kr/p/RRHa​Yn (external link)TroubledAFClose (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

Actual

https://flic.kr/p/SRNN​NL (external link)TroubledAF (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

Did you finally turn on a starting af point for 65 pt zone?

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scrumhalf.

Mar 19, 2017 22:07 |  #16660

gschlact wrote in post #18305557 (external link)
I put the three subcase settings in a custom menu.
I almost never change them though.

Yeah, that's what I have done. Still needs several button presses to get the job done. Basically, ANYTHING you want done on the fly, ought to be doable with 1 button press plus a wheel turn, or 1 button press plus a joystick move, etc. That is good human factors engineering.

Sam
Gear List

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 19, 2017 22:08 as a reply to  @ gschlact's post |  #16661

No where do you do that? Id love to b avle to tell 65pt to start center then track... so i can move camera around

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

gschlact
1,318 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2017 22:13 |  #16662

TeleFragger wrote in post #18305517 (external link)
I'm thinking more of AF set point.. either left middle or right... that could work using the C switches but still a pita...

and thx for the slight talk.. not a vent.. it is challenging but I'm not paid to do this so all good..

I love this and have fun with it. had a blast shooting today. cant wait till games start and you will see more of me..

glad I'm also not the only one that uses other things other than center point. I have gone to the 3x3 box within center point mainly and choose that mostly...

You can use center, registered, or last set AF point as the starting AF point. This will work for single, expanded, spot point. Also, you can do this for the 65pt mode via a other setting. You can program a button to snap to the Registered point, you can press in the multicontroller to snap to the center point. Read up in the manual. But essentially you can snap to three points when you include starting point. Oh yeah, you can turn on remember last af point separately for each orientation, Landscap, and both portrait modes.

gschlact
1,318 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2017 22:21 |  #16663

TeleFragger wrote in post #18305570 (external link)
No where do you do that? Id love to b avle to tell 65pt to start center then track... so i can move camera around

I'll look in the morning. It isn't the one that sounds like it shoukd be it that is under the Live View menu. I keep it in my Custom Menu. There are a lot of people who use and like it with no starting point a lot of people refer to blue sky mode since it will focus on a bird flying in the sky and tracking it.

DavidFranks
827 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 20, 2017 03:40 |  #16664

Curt Richmond, Texas Smoke Dance

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

#######

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Gallery: 919 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by McNeese72.

Mar 20, 2017 08:52 |  #16665

More baseball from Sunday's game. First some pregame photos. Day game so I got to play with my 100-400 II. Some game action photos later. I had a good day.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3810/32707066044_41fc3863d1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RQdg​eN  (external link) baseball_sfa_3_2017-38 (external link) by Richard Martin (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2937/32736107233_2988330a19_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RSM7​aX  (external link) baseball_sfa_3_2017-24 (external link) by Richard Martin (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2894/33421873441_ee91478a06_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SVnQ​zg  (external link) baseball_sfa_3_2017-22 (external link) by Richard Martin (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3951/33167063650_af549c1252_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SwRS​v1  (external link) baseball_sfa_3_2017-14 (external link) by Richard Martin (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3947/33421873281_cc1def9fdd_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SVnQ​wv  (external link) baseball_sfa_3_2017-105 (external link) by Richard Martin (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3681/32736107703_4ab9656024_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RSM7​j4  (external link) baseball_sfa_3_2017-214 (external link) by Richard Martin (external link), on Flickr

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links

7,638,160 views & 96,108 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.