Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 19:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shameful News in OKC

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 07, 2017 07:55 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

RDKirk wrote in post #18293838 (external link)
Well, I guess it all depends on whether one wants to take all positive steps to reduce unwanted actions as much as possible or merely bristle in feckless indignation.

Notice that the park did put up another sign, albeit handwritten. They did post more information directed at photographers, and that fact means they needed to have posted that same information permanently much earlier.

What about the dog walker that goes off trail...do they need a special sign. What about the kids playing Frisbee in some sensitive area...do they need a special sign? What about the birder with their tripods blocking paths...do they need special signs?

Why is it that photographers need a special sign? If the rules say you can't go off the paths and you can't block a path, that should apply to all, not photographer exempt.

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,746 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by RDKirk.

Mar 07, 2017 08:12 |  #32

Hogloff wrote in post #18294172 (external link)
What about the dog walker that goes off trail...do they need a special sign. What about the kids playing Frisbee in some sensitive area...do they need a special sign? What about the birder with their tripods blocking paths...do they need special signs?

Why is it that photographers need a special sign? If the rules say you can't go off the paths and you can't block a path, that should apply to all, not photographer exempt.

And yet in various places I do see signs explicitly for dog walkers.

When an effective people sees they have a specific type of problem, they address that specific problem.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 07, 2017 08:43 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

RDKirk wrote in post #18294182 (external link)
And yet in various places I do see signs explicitly for dog walkers.

When an effective people sees they have a specific type of problem, they address that specific problem.

Yes, that's because dog's have a specific case to do with leashes and poop...hope photographers don't have these specifics.

What's so specific about photographers which is not covered for the general public? Does a photographer need to be explicitly told to stay on the trails and not block other people?

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 07, 2017 09:44 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #34

Yes, they do sometimes.. it is like one sees one go off trail and the race is on for everyone that is a photog to do it.

I have a lake that positively crawls with photogs in certain times of the year.. can't even get a shot off for all the photobombing going on in the background. I avoid that place then.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

rgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,396 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 07, 2017 18:42 |  #35

A clarification and a bit of an update. The hand lettered sign at the park has been removed so, I assume, the problem has be resolved - at least until the senior portraits and engagement sessions begin this summer. Martin Nature Park is NOT a normal city park. It is maintained as a nature preserve. 30 years ago, it was on the edge of town but the city and it's suburbs have it surrounded so it's status as a special park is important and well known. It's one of my favorite places for a morning walk. I am posting some of my images so readers can get a sense of the character of the park. These are normal scenes from the park (except the foggy one). I think everyone will see that it is a place about the animal and plant life - not a portrait studio.

When I first saw the sign, I spoke to one of the park employees who assured me that the problem was not with those of us who use the park for wildlife and nature photography but was specific to those using the park for elaborate portrait sessions.

RDKirk, did you read in the opening post where one photographer wanted to bring in a generator for his lights? The rules of this place are clear and common sense for such a park. It seems to me that expecting specific rules for such photographers amounts to blaming the park for stupidity and insensitivity on the part of the photographers.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from rgs's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 07, 2017 19:42 |  #36

Been following the thread...surprised it had new traction...
Here are the rules posted on the website...
https://www.okc.gov …enter/park-rules-and-faqs (external link)

And a few of my favorite captures from the park...

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3807/11280831424_65aa867dea_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3741/11594574723_dff7195f44_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8578/15680134470_83fb847bb3_z.jpg

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

JonQCanon
76 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by JonQCanon.

Mar 14, 2017 08:54 |  #37

rgs wrote in post #18291750 (external link)
It has nothing do do with ignorance of rules - some of these guys have even been issued tickets because of the egregious nature of their violations.

I'm curious about what kinds of tickets have been issued to photographers, since none of the posted rules (https://www.okc.gov …enter/park-rules-and-faqs (external link)) referenced by a specific municipal code are not related to photography except the use of drones. Can they actually issue tickets for people going off the trails?

I still think that if they started requiring a photography permit, it would resolve 90% of the problems, (give or take a few percentage points).

www.grinandbarrettphot​ography.comexternal link

Nick ­ Aufiero
462 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2013

Mar 14, 2017 20:44 |  #38

I've shot here a few times before. I can definitely tell a lot of people shoot out there and I could definitely see this being a problem. Small world though. Oklahomie!!

JonQCanon
76 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 20, 2017 14:48 |  #39

rgs wrote in post #18294750 (external link)
The hand lettered sign at the park has been removed so, I assume, the problem has be resolved - at least until the senior portraits and engagement sessions begin this summer.

Looks like the sessions may be beginning earlier than this summer, although it seems like Martin Park is ok with it since it's on their IG page.

HOSTED PHOTO

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 20, 2017 15:24 |  #40

looks like they are staying on the trail though...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

rgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,396 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 20, 2017 15:59 |  #41

JonQCanon wrote in post #18306135 (external link)
Looks like the sessions may be beginning earlier than this summer, although it seems like Martin Park is ok with it since it's on their IG page.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by JonQCanon in
./showthread.php?p=183​06135&i=i168946298
forum: The Business of Photography

Looks to me like they are learning from last year and trying to get ahead of the problem. Good for them.

But, lurching to an entirely different subject, I do wonder just what this photographer thinks that diffuser on his flash is going to accomplish outside. And if he thinks his little speedlight outside with a light gobbling diffuser mounted can still overpower the sun and be a main light. Or why anyone would want to use flash for anything but fill outside.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 20, 2017 16:02 |  #42

I suspect that's not a photographer, but a bunch of props thrown together for the photo to prove a passive aggressive point to those ignorant enough to not obey the rules. That looks like a rubbish backdrop to be taking photo's anyway....

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 20, 2017 16:09 |  #43

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18306190 (external link)
I suspect that's not a photographer, but a bunch of props thrown together for the photo to prove a passive aggressive point to those ignorant enough to not obey the rules. That looks like a rubbish backdrop to be taking photo's anyway....

i think if that were the case they wouldn't have tagged the photographer in the post...he's not some award winning portrait photographer...but he does seem to be trying to make it as one...you can see the results from the shoot on his instagram page...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

rgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,396 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 20, 2017 16:12 |  #44

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18306190 (external link)

At least in winter. We are having an early spring and the park will soon be dense with green. I'm going there tomorrow morning and I expect the redbuds to be bright pink and lots of gentle, early spring green around.

JonQCanon
76 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 21, 2017 07:23 |  #45

rgs wrote in post #18306187 (external link)
Looks to me like they are learning from last year and trying to get ahead of the problem. Good for them.

But, lurching to an entirely different subject, I do wonder just what this photographer thinks that diffuser on his flash is going to accomplish outside. And if he thinks his little speedlight outside with a light gobbling diffuser mounted can still overpower the sun and be a main light. Or why anyone would want to use flash for anything but fill outside.

Yes, definitely looks like they're going to be more proactive.

And I was thinking the exact same thing about the speedlight!

sponsored links

11,074 views & 25 likes for this thread
Shameful News in OKC
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.