Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 Mar 2017 (Saturday) 11:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Computer for around $750

Hodgecl
117 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 18, 2017 11:50 |  #1

I am looking to either buy pre-built PC or may attempt to build my own.

If you were in the market for a new computer for photo editing what would you do? If need be the budget can be stretched a few $100 dollars.

No monitor needed at this time.

Keep in mind that I'm currently using a 6 year Dell desktop and I have a 3 year old Asus laptop.

I would like to purchase a desktop of some sort.

Feedback welcome.

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,385 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by EverydayGetaway.

Mar 18, 2017 19:43 |  #2

Hodgecl wrote in post #18304234 (external link)
I am looking to either buy pre-built PC or may attempt to build my own.

If you were in the market for a new computer for photo editing what would you do? If need be the budget can be stretched a few $100 dollars.

No monitor needed at this time.

Keep in mind that I'm currently using a 6 year Dell desktop and I have a 3 year old Asus laptop.

I would like to purchase a desktop of some sort.

Feedback welcome.

I would definitely build your own, building a computer is basically like Legos, just follow some simple steps and anyone can do it.

If buying new I would go with a Ryzen R7 or R5 build. You could get the R7 1700 with a basic motherboard and 16gb of RAM for around $450 (less if you go with an r5 chipset), then pick a case of your choice, Hybrid drive or HDD and SSD for OS (my recommendation), 400w PSU, buy a Windows 10 key from www.Kinguin.net (external link) (they're very safe and legal, I've bought several Windows 10 keys from them) and find a keyboard and mouse you like and throw it together in a couple hours, should be fairly easy with a $750 budget if you play your cards right ;)

I've helped several friends build PC's at this point and they're always surprised by how easy it is. I myself just got into PC's only a couple of years ago... before then I was an avid Mac supporter and refused to consider a PC.

If you have a Microcenter near you I highly recommend going there for not only the best prices, but actually useful employee help too (they generally know what they're talking about and will give you worthy recommendations).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Hodgecl
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 18, 2017 21:07 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #3

Ive never heard of site to buy Windows 10 key.

Would you recommend Windows 10 or something else?

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,561 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 18, 2017 21:26 |  #4

I don't know if it's worth the hassle to build anymore and this is coming from someone who has built all his and family PCs for decades. Just looking at this from Tiger it's got way more power than you'll ever need for image processing maybe with the exception of a SSD which is easy to add. Poke around, there are hundreds to choose from. My last PC was an Asus from Fry's. I added a SSD and a couple data drives and that's it. I did do a scratch install but as it came licensed, it's just a download from MS. Everything is there and working out of the box.

http://www.tigerdirect​.com …asp?EdpNo=31444​62&CatId=6 (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Hodgecl
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 18, 2017 22:22 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #5

Any in particular you would recommend from Tiger direct?

-dave-m-
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 18, 2017 22:27 |  #6

I have been building PC's for personal use, friends, family and to earn extra cash for 20 years. With the budget you have, I would also look at a pre-built, there are tons in that price range and you will find deals/sales that will match and exceed building your own.

With regards to Ryzen based systems, unless you have experience dealing with early adopter problems on completely new hardware I would wait at least a few months until the BIOS/software issues are sorted out.

Buying a pre-built or building your own also involves choices based on usage. If you only do photo editing high core count processors offer little benefit beyond 4 cores, for most tasks in photo editing single core processor power offers the most performance, the current king for such usage is the i7-7700k. GPU acceleration for photo editing is another area where there is little benefit beyond onboard or basic GPU's.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Kent Clark.

Mar 22, 2017 13:18 |  #7

Building a PC is easy, troubleshooting it when things go wrong may not be. If you don't love poking around in PCs and just want to process photos there's a huge amount of value in having a vendor's warranty to fall back on instead of taking the time required to pinpoint a hardware/software problem and then dealing with all too common finger pointing, ie the motherboard mfg says, "it's not the MB it's the memory" and the memory mfg says, "it's not the memory it's the MB." If you buy a premade system you just tell the vendor to fix it without slogging through the details.

Hodgecl
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Mar 22, 2017 16:05 |  #8

http://www.bestbuy.com …r/5595424.p?sku​Id=5595424 (external link)

This is at my local bestbuy.. wasn't sure how this will do?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,889 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 23, 2017 03:51 |  #9

Hodgecl wrote in post #18308191 (external link)
http://www.bestbuy.com …r/5595424.p?sku​Id=5595424 (external link)

This is at my local bestbuy.. wasn't sure how this will do?

For a prebuilt unit it will work just fine.

I prefer building my own PC but if your buying a pre built unit my only suggestion is to downloading Macrium Reflect "free" and make an image of the HP's 128gb hard drive after you configure all of your personal programs. Why???

In a short period of time you'll use up that small amount of space in no time. If you make an image of your SSD drive you can buy a larger SSD in the future and make a "carbon copy" of the current "small ssd". This process will take about 20+ to 30 minutes. You'll thank me later!!!!

In your case I'd suggest paying a local computer shop to assemble a computer for you. It will cost you more but you'll have the control of purchasing known good parts like Samsung Evo 500gb ssd, Western digital Black 2tb,4tb, 80 plus gold certified power supply, i7 intel skylake (doesn't necessarily have to be the latest kaby lake), at least 16gb of ddr4 ram etc.

Using display port cable you will have enough resolution to run a 27 inch monitor. You do not need to buy an expensive video card for simple photo editing needs. Many onboard video ports can handle simple still photography post processing.

Just remember your buying into a system that should be able to handle photo and video editing for the next 5yrs. In the next 5yrs I cannot see all full frame sensors all becoming 50 megapixel camera's (Canon 5dsR) so realistically speaking even an intel i7 system built 2012 can handle 50mp files in lightroom. Infact my 6yrs old i7 w/ Samsung 500gb SSD is slightly slower than my 2017 intel skylake 4.2ghz system (with same model ssd) I built couple months ago when it comes to photo editing.

I will never buy a prebuilt system due to my preference in internal computer components.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

DesolateMirror
302 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 23, 2017 04:28 |  #10

http://www.logicalincr​ements.com/ (external link)

Look at the $839 PC - Replace the graphics card with a lower model.

You can choose the cheapest motherboard, case, cooler, and power supply. The i5 7500 or 7400 should be fine, 16GB ram would be preferable, get the biggest SSD you can afford with a large normal HDD for storage. Run the OS/lightroom/ps on the SSD and keep the files you're working on there, once you've worked on them you can move them to the normal HDD.

tim
Light Bringer
50,937 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 23, 2017 20:53 |  #11

The local HP looks fine. Off the shelf may be more difficult to add drives and customise - I chose a case that can fit something like six 3.5" drives and two 2.5" drives, plus DVD.

I've built my PCs for years. They're really fiddly. Heatsinks and cable routing are especially annoying.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,823 views & 1 like for this thread
Computer for around $750
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.