Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 07:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Producer /manager for a music artist has a question about my contract

qman_tx
84 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 22, 2017 07:07 |  #1

Producer /manager for a music artist has a question about my contract. My contract states that I have copyright to the photos and videos that I shoot. He is in question of that. He states the photos and video that I shoot are not owned by me. I take photos and video whenever the artist is doing a live performances only. He states that the video being shot has the artist song playing and that the song is rights to the artist so that eliminates my copyright to the video that I shoot. He also states that I'm just a work-for-hire to just shoot video and photos and handed them over to him. This is not a known artist and just on a come up trying to get buzz. I'm kind of lost at the moment on this one. What are your thoughts?

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,597 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by saea501.

Mar 22, 2017 07:24 |  #2

My thoughts are you need to speak to an attorney that specializes in this sort of law. You need facts, not opinions or guesses.

I certainly would not be seeking legal advice on a photography forum. But, that's just me.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,776 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by PhotosGuy.

Mar 22, 2017 08:07 |  #3

My take is if the contract says that it's a work-for-hire, & you sign it, then I believe that he's right. Section 101 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the U.S. Code) defines a “work made for hire” in two parts:
a)
a work prepared by an employee within the scope of his or her employment, or
b)
a work specially ordered or commissioned for use
http://www.copyright.g​ov/circs/circ09.pdf (external link)

As of 2007, Photo Lawyer - Understanding Work for Hire (external link)

BUT I agree with Bob. Laws change all the time.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 22, 2017 08:42 |  #4

Just because you're getting paid doesn't automatically make it work-for-hire.

Get a competent IP lawyer. If you're not getting paid enough to warrant that, politely excuse yourself from this relationship, as this producer/manager will be more trouble than it's worth.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,029 posts
Gallery: 325 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 22, 2017 09:12 |  #5

Yep the above.

Take the fee, hand over the content an put up or walk away if you can't agree what both parties need. Your choice. The music industry has plenty of people who act tough on other artists, they are trying to protect their artist more than lightly.

Let us know how you get on.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,424 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2017 09:54 |  #6

Both 'it is yours' and 'it is theirs' situations can apply! Let me hypothetically describe here...
(I am not an attorney, and provide this narrative only the illustrate the possible complexities of why you should consult an attorney for a better understanding of your explicit circumstances.)

General description of Hypothetical Situation:

1. You are under contract by Artist X or his agent to shoot photos/videos of Artist X (and his sides in the band)
2. you shoot some photos of the stage and surroundings at VenueY, during some idle moments when Artist X and band are otherwise not 'on stage'

1. As a 'work made for hire', photos in #1 are indeed the copyright of the hiring business/person, unless in writing your agreement specifies that you retain copyright. You stated, "My contract states that I have copyright to the photos and videos that I shoot." Perhaps your written contract protects your retention.

a. If indeed the photos are 'work made for hire' (and in writing you are not retaining rights to the photos), they need no permissions or releases to use photos for their own commercial purposes (ads, brochures, etc.). Additionally they can grant rights to other parties to use photos in some commercial manner, without your permissions
    b. If the 'for hire' photos copyrights are retained by you, while they might be able to use their own (hired) photos commercially without permissions from you, as the copyright owner you retain rights to grant permissions to others for use of the same photos in some commercial manner by some third parties...but written permissions from Artist X are probably also needed because he/they are recognizable persons in the photos! So, in practice, your retention of copyright might prove valueless when you do not have Artist X permission for commercial use, in which case you have a market limited to selling shots as 'wall decor'.

2. Photos of VenueY in #2 were not made as part of the 'for hire' shooting, and you retain copyright. If Artist X or his agent happen to see any of these photos and would like to use them commercially, they need to negotiate terms/conditions with you. That does not alleviate the need for you to have permissions from the owner/manager of VenueY for any commercial use of the photos!

There is nothing that says Artist X or his agent do not argue with you (and in court) about whether Photos in #2 are or are not included as part of the body of work for which your contract was enacted. How the court sides with you or them is subject to the wording of the contract and whether a jury panel agrees with your opinion vs. that of Artist X.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 22, 2017 13:05 |  #7

If he wants a work for hire contract, then the fee should reflect that. Most bands don't have the funds to purchase copyrights. In my opinion there is no point in working for these types of clients ever, they want many thousands of dollars worth of licensing and offer nothing in return.

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 22, 2017 15:25 |  #8

A music video or any video that contains music always has a separate copyright from any music that is included. Without a contract that specifies something else, the copyright belongs to the cameraman/director/cre​ator. Your contract where you keep copyright and license content should match the fee you offered. Another contract that specifies that you work for hire and transfer copyright to the client/band/label should have another and much higher fee. You can choose to work on other terms as long as you charge a fee that matches.

It is not uncommon in the music industry for clients to want copyright/ownership because it makes it easier for them. You should just make sure that your fees reflect the rights granted.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 22, 2017 17:02 |  #9

Copyright belongs to you UNLESS you EXPRESSLY give them up in your agreement. Copyright belongs to the pusher of the button, not the subject absent a relinquishment of those rights. (US)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,915 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 23, 2017 01:04 |  #10

"Work for hire" is not the default presumption of a photographer working under contract. "Work for hire" must be stipulated in the contract--not the other way around (although explicitly stipulating your own rights is never a bad idea).

... if the parties expressly agree in a written instrument signed by them that the work shall be considered a work made for hire.

https://www.copyright.​gov/circs/circ01.pdf (external link)

But be careful, because "expressly agree in a written instrument signed by them" might be fine print on the back of the check.

sponsored links

1,892 views & 4 likes for this thread
Producer /manager for a music artist has a question about my contract
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.