Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 19:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Working with My Cloud Mirror

canon ­ shooter
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 22, 2017 19:32 |  #1

I have purchased a WD My Cloud Mirror for saving my photos and to perform an automatic backup.

Just having a little trouble find the device on my MacBook Pro. I want to save directly to this drive so as not to fill up the built in storage of computer. Then let it do auto back for extra copy.

Anyone working with this drive and have any suggestions.

Jim

5D Mark III Grip, 40D Grip, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 IS II F2.8L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 100 F2.8, Canon 580 EX
It's the Glass that Counts!

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,026 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 23, 2017 08:25 |  #2

I have neither a Mac, nor the drive in question, but I don't see how what you want to do will help you. What you want to do will not create a backup copy of your data, it will just provide you with a second copy of the data, on the same medium. For the copy to provide any level of data security it has to be stored on a different physical drive. So for a degree of protection you would need to have the file saved on both the internal HDD and the external device.

It sounds to me from the products name as if it basically creates a simple mirroring RAID array, so that everything that is on the "main" drive is also written to the mirror drive at the same time. This provides instant backup for all data should one of the two drives fail, but while operating you should only see it as a single device. Also mirroring is not a backup, since if the file is deleted from the main drive, or is for example encrypted by one of the viruses that work in that way, the mirrored copy will also be deleted or encrypted at the same time.

To be a true backup of your data it should be being checked for integrity and then copied to a separate device. Ideally the backup device is only attached to the computer and powered up during the backup process. You should also be making multiple backups, with one of them kept off site for maximum data security.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by WaltA.

Mar 23, 2017 13:18 |  #3

I've got the Cloud drive as well - just installed last week.

Using it to backup data from my 2 laptops and 1 desktop and it works fine for that.

I am just about to set it up to provide storage for our 2 Blackberrys so I will know more in a day or so. May be able to help you then.

Did you go thru the routine on your Cloud Admin page for granting access to a remote device. The instruction seem pretty straightforward.

Added after re-reading your post:

Are you trying top backup from a remote location. Or are you plugged into the same network as the MyCloud?

Not sure about MAC but on Windows I just browse to it in my Network.

I mapped a drive to the Cloud Drive and all backups go there.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

WaltA
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by WaltA. (2 edits in all)

Mar 23, 2017 13:20 |  #4

BigAl007 wrote in post #18308591 (external link)
I have neither a Mac, nor the drive in question, but I don't see how what you want to do will help you. What you want to do will not create a backup copy of your data, it will just provide you with a second copy of the data, on the same medium. For the copy to provide any level of data security it has to be stored on a different physical drive. So for a degree of protection you would need to have the file saved on both the internal HDD and the external device.

It sounds to me from the products name as if it basically creates a simple mirroring RAID array, so that everything that is on the "main" drive is also written to the mirror drive at the same time. This provides instant backup for all data should one of the two drives fail, but while operating you should only see it as a single device. Also mirroring is not a backup, since if the file is deleted from the main drive, or is for example encrypted by one of the viruses that work in that way, the mirrored copy will also be deleted or encrypted at the same time.

To be a true backup of your data it should be being checked for integrity and then copied to a separate device. Ideally the backup device is only attached to the computer and powered up during the backup process. You should also be making multiple backups, with one of them kept off site for maximum data security.

Alan

Actually, the Cloud drive is not like you describe. Its a standalone drive that plugs into your network router - not into a PC.
I do a backup to it from a desktop and 2 laptops and it provides backups in a separate physical drive.

Check it out here

https://www.wdc.com …my-cloud-mirror-gen2.html (external link)

Walt

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,262 posts
Gallery: 949 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 24, 2017 09:22 |  #5

WaltA wrote in post #18308800 (external link)
Actually, the Cloud drive is not like you describe. Its a standalone drive that plugs into your network router - not into a PC.
I do a backup to it from a desktop and 2 laptops and it provides backups in a separate physical drive.

Check it out here

https://www.wdc.com …my-cloud-mirror-gen2.html (external link)

Reading the initial post, it sounds like the initial poster was wanting to put his working copy on his cloud drive and not his laptop. And create a second copy on the cloud drive as backup. And, as the seconday poster was pointing out, with 2 copies on the cloud drive and none on the laptop, that would not provide adequate backup because if the cloud drive went bad, the original poster would lose both copies on the cloud drive.

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by WaltA.

Mar 24, 2017 10:12 |  #6

McNeese72 wrote in post #18309537 (external link)
Reading the initial post, it sounds like the initial poster was wanting to put his working copy on his cloud drive and not his laptop. And create a second copy on the cloud drive as backup. And, as the seconday poster was pointing out, with 2 copies on the cloud drive and none on the laptop, that would not provide adequate backup because if the cloud drive went bad, the original poster would lose both copies on the cloud drive.

Well, either way.

Save to MAC and Backup to cloud

Save to cloud and backup to MAC

And with RAID on the Mirror drives thats pretty safe.

Sounds like a good solution to me - either way.

Walt

sponsored links

2,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
Working with My Cloud Mirror
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.