Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 18:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful.

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 24, 2017 10:13 |  #46

chauncey wrote in post #18309544 (external link)
Lets go back 10 years. to when I first picked up a camera...https://www.google.com …omas+kinkade+te​chniques&* (external link)
he is who I wanted to emulate, but painting was way beyond me. The desire still exists.

I always thought Kincades work was like bad HDR but then again he did inspire...............

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,603 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 24, 2017 10:44 |  #47

chauncey wrote in post #18308014 (external link)
Not that I want to change my life...I simply don't have the knowledge of a variety of artists.

I would like to introduce you to one artist whose work I think you will appreciate, Brooke Shaden. Here is an excerpt from the bio section of her website, and I think it shows why her work is the type of work that you would relate to:

". . . environments she wishes to explore, where secrets are exposed, impossibilities are tested, and life is questioned in eras beyond our own.

Brooke works to capture fantastic realities within her photographic frame. By using painterly techniques as well as the square format, traditional photographic properties are replaced by otherworldly elements."

Chauncey, I think it is her aesthetic style that would appeal to you the most, not necessarily her subject matter (which always seems to involve a human).

Here are a couple of links that show her work and her creative process. Several of these are "how to" instructional videos in which she teaches techniques for creating the "magical" types of images that you aspire to.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=3mrEHqrdxLE (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=FOhR3yo3Btg (external link)

https://www.google.com …brooke+shaden+w​allpaper&* (external link)

http://brookeshaden.co​m/classes/ (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=pbw2H7A0qvQ (external link)

Here is a link to her "Fourth Wall" series:
http://www.promotingpa​ssion.com …-on-creating-fourth-wall/ (external link)

And here is an excerpt from that webpage about the Fourth Wall that I thought you may find interesting:

"One of the most common comments I got on the series was “Why didn’t you just Photoshop it?”. For the key image, I did. It was a financial necessity for me. However, the rest were done in camera as much as possible. There was certainly still post processing on all of them, but not to the extent I had done in my previous work. The reason is simple. I wanted to be there, in that space, spending time with the idea as much as the material that created the idea. I wanted to spend hours upon hours gluing yarn to the floor. I wanted to feel what it felt like to really be trapped in a flooded room. It was important to me to be there."

Even though Brooke's style of imagery is not "my thing", I can really appreciate the excellence of her work. She is a fine art photographer in the fullest sense of the term.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,790 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by airfrogusmc.

Mar 24, 2017 11:04 |  #48

chauncey wrote in post #18309544 (external link)
Lets go back 10 years. to when I first picked up a camera...https://www.google.com …omas+kinkade+te​chniques&* (external link)
he is who I wanted to emulate, but painting was way beyond me. The desire still exists.

Chauncey,

for photography to become a legit art form it had to do the things that only photography could do. In the beginning, for 80 years or so, photography tried to imitate paintings of the day, which was for the most part, impressionism. This photography was referred to as pictorial photography and as an art form photography was not taken seriously because it was an imitation of another art form, painting. It took the straight photography movement (early to mid part of the last century) to move away from trying to imitating another art form (painting) and move into it's own by doing the things that are truly unique to photography. This is an issue that was settled 80 or so years ago.

If you look at JPC's work it looks like his work. Most of other work you posted I can't tell one persons work from the next. They could all be working from the same creative brain. Not a good thing in my opinion.

That's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.
Allen

airfrogusmc
35,790 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by airfrogusmc.

Mar 24, 2017 11:13 |  #49

You also know that a lot of Kincade's work is now mass produced and it is being painted in an assembly line by other artists. Not him. I hope no one seriously invested in that work thinking that it might appreciate in value some years down the road. That is a perfect example of better buy it because you love it. I certainly don't love it.

Now here are a couple of amazing magical paintings and these low res jpgs do not d the work justice.
http://www.edwardhoppe​r.net/images/paintings​/gas.jpg (external link)

http://lh3.ggpht.com …vCOzOzp5G8Phpw5​YY83=s1200 (external link)

airfrogusmc
35,790 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 24, 2017 12:47 |  #50

A great photographer and an amazing story. For those that haven't seen it it is a great piece and well worth the time spent.
http://www.pbs.org …-lange-full-episode/3260/ (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 24, 2017 13:33 |  #51

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18309633 (external link)
You also know that a lot of Kincade's work is now mass produced and it is being painted in an assembly line by other artists. Not him...

Well, Kinkade kicked it back in 2012, so if anything is presented as one of his 'new' paintings, you definitely know it ain't by him.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

airfrogusmc
35,790 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 24, 2017 13:43 |  #52

sjones wrote in post #18309733 (external link)
Well, Kinkade kicked it back in 2012, so if anything is presented as one of his 'new' paintings, you definitely know it ain't by him.

Yes but even before he kicked he had the production line crank'n'em out.

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 24, 2017 13:57 |  #53

Yeah, he was listed on the NYSE

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 24, 2017 14:45 |  #54

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18309742 (external link)
Yes but even before he kicked he had the production line crank'n'em out.

Yeah, doesn't surprise me.

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 24, 2017 15:59 |  #55

It must be said, for all the criticism.........Kink​ade was laughing at us all the way to the bank.

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net

sjones
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 24, 2017 16:22 |  #56

photosbytw wrote in post #18309885 (external link)
It must be said, for all the criticism.........Kink​ade was laughing at us all the way to the bank.

Same with Kim Kardashian, but I reckon there’s more to life than just money (but not much more…).

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,066 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 24, 2017 16:56 |  #57

saea501 wrote in post #18307791 (external link)
This is nearly impossible to answer.

Heck, that's like asking what is your favorite Beatles song.......fer cryin' out loud.

"Ive just seen a face,
I can't forget the time or place,
we just met,. etc." ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 24, 2017 17:18 |  #58

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18309939 (external link)
"Ive just seen a face,
I can't forget the time or place,
we just met,. etc." ;)

Heh! :)

Well, it was pretty Wild and Crazy watching/listening to Michael J. Fox do that old Chuck Berry song in the "Back to the Future flick!

But was it "Magical" or simply "Beautiful"?

A bit of both, I'd say

Hey, how 'bout standing and swooning to one of your most favorite bands playing a beautiful song live...

I'll throw in "Beauty" and some "Magic" here as well!!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,066 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 24, 2017 17:26 |  #59

Or maybe all of side two of Abbey Road... hmmm...

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,066 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 24, 2017 17:33 |  #60

In all honesty, there was a thread years ago, favorite POTN images, and I used to go back to that all the time to get the link for the image I liked best,.

And here I am thinking hard about it, and I think it might be at least come close to, in the running for, my favorite photo of all time.

Sadly I can't for the life of me find it any more haven't for years. (maybe someone can help?)

The image was of three individuals.

One was a referee,. he was holding the winner of the wrestling match's arm high.
His expression was priceless,. as he was glancing at the young boy who had lost the match.

The winner, arm held high in victory, was a young girl,. all of the faces were perfect in this moment. To me, what this image represents on a larger scale about society, expectations, and strength of character to overcome, is almost without equal.

"Nevertheless she persisted" ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

6,745 views & 30 likes for this thread
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.