Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,047 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by dmward.

Mar 28, 2017 22:33 |  #8956

cccc wrote in post #18312489 (external link)
Always looking to improve, CC welcome. HGA Architects' new office in Sacramento. None of the newly built out "white" side had parallel structures... the result was converging sight lines that blended the history of the repurposed industrial warehouse with the contemporary sharp lines found throughout this set. Enjoy.

One, sometimes two, Rovelights were used here to highlight certain surfaces and provide some light in the darker places of the ceilings. The result is some much needed separation in some of the deeper shots.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T8oJ​9B  (external link) HGA R12_1 People (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T61a​io  (external link) HGA R12_2 Empty (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T61a​3o  (external link) HGA R12_3 Empty (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T619​Sy  (external link) HGA R12_4 Empty (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/Tgdw​sY (external link)HGA R12_5 Empty copy (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/T8oG​44 (external link)HGA R12_6 People copy (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/T619​FS (external link)HGA R12_7 Empty (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

These are all well lit, well staged, well done images. For me the problem is that they all look like renderings from an architects software program for projecting how the space will look once built.
There is no really there, real place feel to them.

Here is an image I made for a client. Its a health care facility in the Bay Area. Because of HIPA they requested that no people were to be in the images. Fortunately, I was able to get into the space when on a Sunday when no one was working.
I worked with installed lighting and ambient light from the windows rather than trying to over power it with my lights.
In my view, its more realistic than a precisely lit interior that overpowers the architect's designed lighting.

IMAGE: http://clients.dmwfotos.com/wp-content/gallery/castro-valley-mob/DSC07700.jpg

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
seaLere
464 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by seaLere.

Mar 29, 2017 08:07 |  #8957

dmward wrote in post #18313732 (external link)
These are all well lit, well staged, well done images. For me the problem is that they all look like renderings from an architects software program for projecting how the space will look once built.
There is no really there, real place feel to them.

Here is an image I made for a client. Its a health care facility in the Bay Area. Because of HIPA they requested that no people were to be in the images. Fortunately, I was able to get into the space when on a Sunday when no one was working.
I worked with installed lighting and ambient light from the windows rather than trying to over power it with my lights.
In my view, its more realistic than a precisely lit interior that overpowers the architect's designed lighting.

QUOTED IMAGE

Nice lighting but I would have probably changed composition a bit. The foreground chairs dominate a lot of frame and although a neat door, between the door and chairs that is like half of the contents of the frame with the pillar blocking even more.

Also, the 2 point perspective on a long hall such as this case doesn't feel right (imo). Makes it look unevenly weighted.

Sony A7RIII with Canon glass
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

joooowan
698 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by joooowan. (2 edits in all)

Mar 29, 2017 12:55 |  #8958

Nice to see everyone putting out some good stuff. Got a meeting with some land developers on Friday, fingers crossed.

What are our collective thoughts on photographing interiors at night? (I should've taken a frame with the lights off..)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

seaLere
464 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by seaLere. (2 edits in all)

Mar 29, 2017 14:18 |  #8959

joooowan wrote in post #18314161 (external link)
Nice to see everyone putting out some good stuff. Got a meeting with some land developers on Friday, fingers crossed.

What are our collective thoughts on photographing interiors at night? (I should've taken a frame with the lights off..)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by joooowan in
./showthread.php?p=183​14161&i=i146440746
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by joooowan in
./showthread.php?p=183​14161&i=i65180843
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Love the twilight lighting but not sure I'm sold on the perspective. Looks between a one point and two-point so I think I would have tried to get more of the left side/front door in the center. I also feel like the left side would show the depth/size better and have a few more windows to invite you in. And in general I try to avoid shooting garages unless neccessary but just including them enough to know it's there. But who knows what you were dealing with in terms of objects without being there.

As for photographing interiors at night, I am not a huge fan because you can't get anyone to relate to the space. Not as inviting and almost makes you feel like you're isolated in the room (Unless you're able to bring out some city lights or something), so I guess because of that maybe it's situational? But if the client wants it, I would first try to talk them into a twilight and if not, they get what they want. The colors and lighting do look good on the interior though given the situation.

joooowan
698 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by joooowan. (2 edits in all)

Mar 29, 2017 15:17 |  #8960

seaLere wrote in post #18314221 (external link)
Love the twilight lighting but not sure I'm sold on the perspective. Looks between a one point and two-point so I think I would have tried to get more of the left side/front door in the center. I also feel like the left side would show the depth/size better and have a few more windows to invite you in. And in general I try to avoid shooting garages unless neccessary but just including them enough to know it's there. But who knows what you were dealing with in terms of objects without being there.

This Kia was seriously cramping my style out there. and eh.. I think my lighting still looks spotty

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

seaLere
464 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 29, 2017 15:26 |  #8961

joooowan wrote in post #18314296 (external link)
This Kia was seriously cramping my style out there. and eh.. I think my lighting still looks spotty

Oh ya, that perspective is way better but damn that stupid toaster car! I hate those things already but now I really do! Was it the home owners?

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 29, 2017 16:17 as a reply to  @ joooowan's post |  #8962

I just don't photograph interiors at night, always 12-5p. They will simply never look good. I do dusk exterior shots as an extra cost option.

seaLere
464 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 29, 2017 16:47 |  #8963

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18314338 (external link)
I just don't photograph interiors at night, always 12-5p. They will simply never look good. I do dusk exterior shots as an extra cost option.

Twilight interior shots can absolutely look as good as day shots if done right.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,572 posts
Gallery: 358 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 29, 2017 17:32 |  #8964

seaLere wrote in post #18314357 (external link)

And sometimes be a little easier to balance the windows.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

joooowan
698 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 29, 2017 19:18 |  #8965

cccc wrote in post #18312489 (external link)
Always looking to improve, CC welcome. HGA Architects' new office in Sacramento. None of the newly built out "white" side had parallel structures... the result was converging sight lines that blended the history of the repurposed industrial warehouse with the contemporary sharp lines found throughout this set. Enjoy.

One, sometimes two, Rovelights were used here to highlight certain surfaces and provide some light in the darker places of the ceilings. The result is some much needed separation in some of the deeper shots.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T8oJ​9B  (external link) HGA R12_1 People (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T61a​io  (external link) HGA R12_2 Empty (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T61a​3o  (external link) HGA R12_3 Empty (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T619​Sy  (external link) HGA R12_4 Empty (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/Tgdw​sY (external link)HGA R12_5 Empty copy (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/T8oG​44 (external link)HGA R12_6 People copy (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/T619​FS (external link)HGA R12_7 Empty (external link) by Chad Davies (external link), on Flickr

Question for you dude, so are your photos more heavy on ambient light or flash?

CC welcome.

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 30, 2017 07:50 |  #8966

seaLere wrote in post #18314357 (external link)

I'm game, but I have never seen good interior residential shots at night primarily because the windows become mirrors. If you have some, we would love to see them.

seaLere
464 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 30, 2017 10:49 |  #8967

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18314734 (external link)
I'm game, but I have never seen good interior residential shots at night primarily because the windows become mirrors. If you have some, we would love to see them.

That's why you turn the lights off and grab a window shot to compose in.

Any of Mike Kelley's twilight interiors can show you that.

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 31, 2017 00:48 as a reply to  @ joooowan's post |  #8968

seaLere wrote in post #18312534 (external link)
^^ Looking fantastic man. What were you using to bounce the lights in the areas without white ceilings...shoot throughs or reflective umbrella?
Only CC I can even think of is the last image, the table/seat look just barely too flashed (for my taste...but yours is probably different).
Did you use a TSE on #2 or did you just correct in post?
Also, are you doing sharpening in post or do you leave as is?

Shoot throughs to spread light across some of the darker surfaces, or areas where definition was needed. Strobes were used to throw thin sheets of light over select areas, not to light the entire scene. Little flash was used on the seats, just strong desaturation on the white/black areas.

TSE was used on all but the last shot!

mltn wrote in post #18312673 (external link)
This is an awesome space, and your shots are killer! Only a couple small critiques from me, pay attention to casters and make sure they are consistent. I like to point them all in one direction, I've seen others have them all pointed away from the center of the chair. It will slow you down on those conference room shots, but it's easy once you get used to it. As for shot number 6, I like the person on the right in the kitchen, but for whatever reason I'm not crazy about the person walking through the middle of the space. Maybe it would feel too empty without her there though.

Good call on the casters, I'll keep that in mind for my next one! The space felt dead in that spot you're describing, and I wanted a body in there for a sense of scale. Any closer or further would have dominated the scene too much.

Thanks both for your comments!

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by cccc.

Mar 31, 2017 00:52 |  #8969

joooowan wrote in post #18314439 (external link)

joooowan wrote in post #18314439 (external link)

For the majority of shots, mostly ambient. Flash is only used to reshape light in certain areas. The large white areas needed shaping to keep them interesting, as did the large bookshelfs and some dark pockets in the ceilings. Most are less than 5 frames when not counting people.

I've been learning to trust the latitude in my raw files, I rarely need bracketed shots. I bring down the shutter slightly for shots I use with flash (to create more contrast) while still at very low ISO levels to keep noise down, and bump it up when I'm shooting ambient.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,047 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 01, 2017 00:02 |  #8970

cccc wrote in post #18315469 (external link)
I've been learning to trust the latitude in my raw files, I rarely need bracketed shots.

I've been pleasantly surprised when working with an image collection for a shot at how often I can discard most of the bracket because one of the images has so much tonal range.

I've been experimenting with a camera calibration profile that has a linear tone curve rather than the Adobe Base tone curve that is a significant arc from shadow to highlight.

The linear tone curve profile, created from a calibration test shot as per the Adobe DNG Profiler recommendation, is created by changing the tone curve from base to linear. It dramatically flattens the image. Almost to the dark, flat, ugly images one can get when asking a converter to show the raw data.

The value is that there is all kinds of highlight and shadow detail that can be processed using LR/CR at input for more detailed editing.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

1,513,159 views & 1,559 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.