Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Mar 2017 (Friday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about achieving focus for portrait while shooting wide open?

stanwelks
196 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 31, 2017 15:43 |  #1

Using a 5DM3 and a EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L I'm taking photos of a toddler holding a newborn on her lap. The toddler's head is just above the newborn's. I'm using natural nearby window light (not much) so I am shooting wide open at 2.8 and have my ISO somewhere around 500-600.

The issue is that I use the focus point to focus on the toddler's face, though the newborn's face becomes soft and out of focus. Is my only option to increase the light and just close my aperture?

If so, what do you do if you still want to add some blur to the background but need to close the aperture?

Thanks.

PhotosGuy
75,764 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 31, 2017 16:01 |  #2

stanwelks wrote in post #18315991 (external link)
Using a 5DM3 and a EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L I'm taking photos of a toddler holding a newborn on her lap. The toddler's head is just above the newborn's. I'm using natural nearby window light (not much) so I am shooting wide open at 2.8 and have my ISO somewhere around 500-600.

The issue is that I use the focus point to focus on the toddler's face, though the newborn's face becomes soft and out of focus. Is my only option to increase the light and just close my aperture?

That's the simplest way. Also try to keep both sets of eyes in the same vertical plane.
Depth of Field Calculator (external link) with apps for iphone, ipod, palm, android, windoze...

If so, what do you do if you still want to add some blur to the background but need to close the aperture?

2nd simplest would be to increase the background blur in post-processing. Most other solutions would require a lot more work.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Mar 31, 2017 16:33 |  #3

With practice, you'll be able to get both sets of eyes in focus at f2.8; it's all about getting them on the same focal plane.

In this case, if you raise the camera up and tilt it downwards, you'll reach a point where both faces are the same distance from your camera.

OR... Embrace the tighter apertures. You can control your background with light as easily as you can with your f-stop. Put your subjects close to the window and let your background fall into darkness. Lots of options to isolate your subject.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,377 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about achieving focus for portrait while shooting wide open?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.