Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 30 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your Bird Portraits

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 01, 2017 09:56 |  #7741

shooz wrote in post #18316509 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I have a question... posting it here because I really respect the photographers in this section. Please give me an honest answer.
I have taken probably over a thousand Bluebird pictures this year. On this morning, the light was perfect, so I thought I would try to add a little colour to where the birds were perching. I placed the green moss up on the stump and waited for an opportunity.
I was pretty happy with the result and posted it on Facebook (Canadian Bird Photography), to favorable reviews.
But one guy, with a claimed "over 50 years of bird photography", is all over me for "staging" the photo. Even gone so far as calling me an "unethical Photographer". This is a wild bird, not baited or harmed in any way. I just liked the colour and the light.
I'm fairly new to bird photography and photography in general.
Would very much appreciate honest opinions here so as to not cross any lines in the future, Thanks.

There is always going to be that person on the internet forums Dave, The know it all, The guy that needs to tell you how it is, we all have branches and sticks, and yes even bait !!... I put mine in this new fangled thing they call a Bird Feeder. If you think about it everything we shoot is baited.. we either sit at the food source or somewhere in between to find the birds and critters we all shoot. I for one grow intolerant of the purest. They are mostly people who never leave the couch and live a Facebook existence, which leads them to believe all the B.S that is conjured up in the minds of the same. You put moss on a log.. No one died or was injured lol Every bird I have posted were baited as goes for everyone here that shot a bird near a feeder or with any type of food or rodent in their mouths. You should not take it to heart. I have come to terms with it and so will you. Now about those sticks in the back ground lol ??

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
shooz
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 01, 2017 10:00 |  #7742

rrdubya wrote in post #18316513 (external link)
I think you're creating an image and it looks great. I wonder if that photographer does any post processing or baits any of his birds for photos?

That's another odd thing. For all his supposed photographic experience, I've never seen him post a picture, or in fact, post at all. He seems to have come out, just to go after this picture.

Dave
davidhuffman.myportfol​io.com
flickr (external link)

shooz
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 01, 2017 10:07 |  #7743

rrdubya wrote in post #18316513 (external link)
I think you're creating an image and it looks great. I wonder if that photographer does any post processing or baits any of his birds for photos?

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18316540 (external link)
There are always a few bird brains in every group, & I suggest that you just ignore this one. You got a nice image & didn't disturb the wildlife in any way, so where's the harm?
Personally, I might have plucked out that blade of grass at the bottom-right. He's probably have had a fit about that, too! ; D

Pondrader wrote in post #18316565 (external link)
There is always going to be that person on the internet forums Dave, The know it all, The guy that needs to tell you how it is, we all have branches and sticks, and yes even bait !!... I put mine in this new fangled thing they call a Bird Feeder. If you think about it everything we shoot is baited.. we either sit at the food source or somewhere in between to find the birds and critters we all shoot. I for one grow intolerant of the purest. They are mostly people who never leave the couch and live a Facebook existence, which leads them to believe all the B.S that is conjured up in the minds of the same. You put moss on a log.. No one died or was injured lol Every bird I have posted were baited as goes for everyone here that shot a bird near a feeder or with any type of food or rodent in their mouths. You should not take it to heart. I have come to terms with it and so will you. Now about those sticks in the back ground lol ??

:p Okay, these made me laugh ! I never even considered the blade of grass, or the twigs in the background ! I did want to know what you all thought, because in my opinion, the level of photography here is so high and is what I aspire to.

Dave
davidhuffman.myportfol​io.com
flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 01, 2017 10:07 |  #7744

shooz wrote in post #18316569 (external link)
That's another odd thing. For all his supposed photographic experience, I've never seen him post a picture, or in fact, post at all. He seems to have come out, just to go after this picture.

Of course he has no pictures. The sound of the shutter might disturb the little ones & psychologically scar them for life!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 01, 2017 10:23 as a reply to  @ shooz's post |  #7745

People are crazy Dave... People are crazy.!! Baited Evening Grosbeak Female lol

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

Bignerd
Pardon my warped humor
1,332 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 01, 2017 10:37 |  #7746

shooz wrote in post #18316509 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I have a question... posting it here because I really respect the photographers in this section. Please give me an honest answer.
I have taken probably over a thousand Bluebird pictures this year. On this morning, the light was perfect, so I thought I would try to add a little colour to where the birds were perching. I placed the green moss up on the stump and waited for an opportunity.
I was pretty happy with the result and posted it on Facebook (Canadian Bird Photography), to favorable reviews.
But one guy, with a claimed "over 50 years of bird photography", is all over me for "staging" the photo. Even gone so far as calling me an "unethical Photographer". This is a wild bird, not baited or harmed in any way. I just liked the colour and the light.
I'm fairly new to bird photography and photography in general.
Would very much appreciate honest opinions here so as to not cross any lines in the future, Thanks.

I am certain he is complaining about your endangering the moss. We all know that moss is an endangered species, particularly the type of moss you placed on the stump. It is known to grow only once every 7,343 years and only in that particularly location. By moving it you will cause it to grow next in 14,686 years. He is angry that he will not live to see the next growth. He is an avid moss photographer, and you have ruined his plans. He actually baits moss by nailing little birdies to spots where he wants it to grow.

Larry Hendler
Canon 5D III, Canon 40d, 18-55 mm EF-S (kit lens), EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f1.8, EF 300mm f4 L, 1.4x, EF 20mm f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
http://larryhendler.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

jccj58
Goldmember
1,779 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 01, 2017 10:56 |  #7747

Ibis keeping an eye on me this morning

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2937/32962313083_1d60d0bc8b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SdLt​hP  (external link) Ibis eyes (external link) by John (external link), on Flickr

---------------

edmidlifecrisis
Goldmember
4,229 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by edmidlifecrisis. (3 edits in all)

Apr 01, 2017 11:01 |  #7748

shooz wrote in post #18316569 (external link)

That means he is a troll and should be ignored. No matter what you post someone will find a way to find it objectionable. This goes for everything, not just photography.

Ask him to see some of his photos. Bet he goes away.

Or just stop using that forum. I have left several FB groups because of crap like this, some people are under the mistaken impression that they are in charge of everything and act as the self-appointed arbiters of taste, ethics, science, medicine, etc. I challenged one of these "experts" in pet bird medicine once on a FB group (she held herself out as the all knowing expert on all things to do with pet bird nutrition and care and basically told everyone who didn't do exactly as she said that they were abusing their animals). And I am a veterinarian with a MS in Avian Sciences who specialized in birds when I was in practice a while ago and know just a little about this). I challenged her nonsenical statements-asked for science or some sort of reference, and she never responded. I looked at her profile to see what her expert qualifications were. Real estate agent. I left the group. Good riddance, life is too short for crap like that. Most of my responses to jackasses like that are not printable here.

PS we love your photos.

Ed
https://www.sandhillim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

edmidlifecrisis
Goldmember
4,229 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Apr 01, 2017 11:07 |  #7749

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18316576 (external link)
Of course he has no pictures. The sound of the shutter might disturb the little ones & psychologically scar them for life!

LOL!!!

Ed
https://www.sandhillim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 01, 2017 11:10 |  #7750

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

grazamataz
434 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 01, 2017 11:38 |  #7751

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2946/32827953753_3289aa1ee1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/S1TQ​WD  (external link) Cardinal (external link) by Chris Greig (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-T3
Chris Greig Photography (external link)

Big ­ Ugly
329 posts
Gallery: 234 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 01, 2017 14:00 |  #7752

Pine Warbler

HOSTED PHOTO

Jack

bones519
423 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 01, 2017 16:25 as a reply to  @ grazamataz's post |  #7753

An excellent image!

Bill ­ in ­ Texas
Cream of the Crop
6,735 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 01, 2017 16:31 |  #7754

Eaglet spreading it's wings.

HOSTED PHOTO

Bill being Smug (external link)
Sony a7, a7RIII, a9, Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS Lens, Tamron 70-180mm, F2.8 Di III VXD, Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS, Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6,3 GM OSS,

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by mikeivan.

Apr 01, 2017 16:43 |  #7755

Pectoral Sandpiper:
These birds spend the winter in South America and the summers in the arctic tundra of North America. They are migrating through Texas right now. A helpful birder told me where to find this specimen, although he called it a Baird's Sandpiper. So, not a lifer, but a seldom seen species for me. He was close, about 15 meters and very much undisturbed by my presence. Later, another birder, dressed in white, with a big white lens, approached and he soon departed.

These are the two best portraits, out of the several image I took, center focus point, Ai Servo, High speed continuous. One is in the sun, the other, light overcast.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MIKEIVAN

sponsored links

17,952,231 views & 1,010,586 likes for this thread
Post your Bird Portraits
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.