Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 10 Apr 2017 (Monday) 16:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto 3001BPRO

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 10, 2017 16:13 |  #1

Hello all,

I am looking for a tripod and saw this Manfrotto 3001BPRO here in the classifieds. I have a very cheap tripod, not the best, but gets the job done when I need it when taking landscape style photos. The problem is when I want to take vertical pictures is where the frustration begins. I have to constantly adjust the tripod to stay vertical as it constantly dips down.

Will this tripod be good enough or is there something out there. That tripod I found it for about $100 shipped and it comes with a ball head (no model). I did see that this is a discontinued item. Honestly this is the only reason why I am wanting to get a new one, for a sturdier tripod and for less hassle when taking vertical pictures. Also I am starting to get interested in food photography and have been trying to educate myself as much as I can on the arm, but that would be after I get a tripod.

I did see this one as well: Manfrotto 055XDB Tripod w/ 488RC2 ballhead w/ 2 quick release Plate and Canon Rs-80n3 which I looked up and also discontinued.

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

I currently have a Canon 80d, 50m and a Tamron 17-50mm. Eventually am planning on buying another lense but probably not something big like a 70-200mm.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Apr 10, 2017 16:51 |  #2

The Bogen 3001 is a very long time favorite of hikers, while the Bogen 3021 is a long time favorite of those not seeking the lowest weight for hiking, during the 1990s before carbon fiber became fashionable (and unaffordable...before the Chinese copycats came along!), imported by Lester Bogen but built by Manfrotto. The 3001 is the precursor in the USA to the Manfrotto 190, while the 3021 is the precursor in the USA to the Manfrotto 055. They set the standard for affordable yet quality tripods for along time.

You said, "I have to constantly adjust the tripod to stay vertical as it constantly dips down" but I speculate that you really mean 'THE HEAD dips down'! While the tripod is nice and sturdy for its weight, we have no idea of what kind of head is on it...the Bogen 3001 is a 3/8 thread tripod which normally would be purchased without a head...it was up to the buyer to decide what head to buy.

What many people do is to buy and use an L-bracket with an Arca-Swiss-compatible quick release, rather than using the head drop-slot.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 11, 2017 00:35 |  #3

Thank you very much Wilt for the information. It sure helped me. I guess I have to find out what head it has right now. You are correct, when I mentioned about dipping down, I was referring to the head. Once again, thank you.

I have been looking at BH for some tripods. Although there are a lot to choose from I have seen a couple for under $100. Have to see if any of those can serve my purpose. Another question, I did see on the descriptions that it has weight capacity. Does it really make a big difference from a 3lb to 11lbs? Thanks.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by SkipD.

Apr 11, 2017 05:44 |  #4

firme wrote in post #18324814 (external link)
Another question, I did see on the descriptions that it has weight capacity. Does it really make a big difference from a 3lb to 11lbs? Thanks.

Weight capacity is a virtually useless factor for choosing a tripod for your own use. There are a few reasons why this is true.

First, there is no standardized test that is used by the manufacturers of tripods for creating the "maximum weight" values. This lack of standardization means that one manufacturer's "maximum weight" numbers have no direct relationship to another manufacturer's "maximum weight" numbers.

Secondly, there is no commonly used definition of what the "maximum weight" value really means. I'm reasonably sure that some tripod manufacturers (probably those producing cheap tripods for the typical low-end market) define it as the weight that will actually cause the tripod to fail.

Third, and most important, the "maximum weight" value has no bearing on how rigidly the tripod will hold a particular camera/lens combination. There are several directions of possible motion that all need to be considered and controlled by a tripod to truly hold a camera/lens combination motionless. Thus, there can not be any single number that truly states how rigid a given tripod will be in the field with a variety of equipment supported by it.

The absolute best way to choose a tripod is to first get suggestions from experienced users and then actually testing various tripods to see which will give you an acceptable rigidity for your camera/lens while being light enough to carry and with dimensions you can tolerate handling. The best place to test all this would be a store that carries a variety of tripods, but you could also find other photographers in your area who would let you handle their tripods (possibly at a photography club or something like that).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 11, 2017 16:01 |  #5

Thanks for the clarification SkipD and for your help.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Apr 11, 2017 21:26 |  #6

firme wrote in post #18324814 (external link)
I have been looking at BH for some tripods. Although there are a lot to choose from I have seen a couple for under $100. Have to see if any of those can serve my purpose. Another question, I did see on the descriptions that it has weight capacity. Does it really make a big difference from a 3lb to 11lbs? Thanks.

Back in 1990 a tripod under $100 was not worth buying. Add 25 years of inflation, and even with Chinese made bargains, the quality tripod under $100 is a difficult goal. Spend the money on a quality tripod on the first one, not buy and sell (if you can find another gullible soul) multiple inferior tripods...in the long run it is less expensive to buy right from the start.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/LesterBogen_zps1c868b55.jpg

I don't think that Lester Bogen ever claimed that his tripods supported 150-200lb of camera+lens, yet he is sitting on one in the above ad! Weight support claims are rather immaterial and non-uniform in claims. What matters is how the tripod reacts to induced vibration, whether it dampens such vibration quickly (vs. slowly) and it resists droop sufficiently. For that you almost need to assess it, and not simply 'shop the catalog'.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MiamiC70
38 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 12, 2017 19:21 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #7

I've bought two 3001PRO's in the 90's and both are still going strong. Gifted one and use the other.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 13, 2017 19:05 |  #8

Is there one that is worth getting while on a budget? I purchased the 80D about a month ago. Wouldn't mind saving until I have to get one.

Perhaps my obvious lack of knowledge in tripods is keeping me from obtaining one. Since I have never used "good" tripods is where I fail to know what to look for on tripods. Well at least I know what I want to use it for.

Thanks for the replies.

sponsored links

1,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto 3001BPRO
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.