Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 14 Apr 2017 (Friday) 11:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Desktop to Laptop switch

Michael ­ Frymus
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited over 2 years ago by Michael Frymus.

Apr 14, 2017 11:04 |  #1

I currently have a desktop (specs mentioned in 2nd post), but I need to make the switch to a laptop.

I'm in Canada, so I would need to be able to buy it in Canada. Custom built or sold as is.
Any brand that's reliable (NO mac).
Budget: up to $2000? -- Depends on how much I can sell my desktop for.

I don't know much about computer specs. So I don't know what's needed.

I need to be able to edit 4K.
Have a large screen (but 15" seems standard and fits in most bags).

Any recommendations?

Michael Frymus
Travel Photographer || Filmmaker || Vlogger
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/michaelfrymus (external link)

sponsored links
Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2017 11:14 |  #2

http://www.bestbuy.ca …501vw-ds71t/10407952.aspx (external link)?

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Apr 14, 2017 11:20 |  #3

My current desktop is:

Intel Core i7-3820 @3.60GHz
- Asus P9X79 Motherboard
16.0GB Ram
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960??
Vertex 4 SSD

I am wanting to sell this to upgrade to a laptop.
Where can I sell this, and how much could I sell it for?

Michael Frymus

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2017 11:23 |  #4

Laptop I posted has similar specs. I have found HP laptops to be durable and reliable.

Sell on Kijiji? Do a search on there for similar systems for a price range.

Used computer stuff is often worth less used than you want it to be.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,343 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 14, 2017 15:48 |  #5

http://www3.lenovo.com …nSize%3A15.6+in​&uq=&text= (external link)

$1800 after web savings.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,858 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2017 16:28 |  #6

Best advice to follow is to simply go to the Adobe web site and see what the System Requirements are for using their software on your computer!

If you plan on doing postprocessing of photos, I strongly urge still using a separate monitor with hardware controls of screen Brightness and Contrast of the monitor hardware, and NOT use laptop monitors!

Your current desktop PC is a very respectable and current configuration. Just what is motivating a switch? you almost always pay a premium to have the 'same thing' in laptop package!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Apr 14, 2017 16:48 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #18328039 (external link)
Best advice to follow is to simply go to the Adobe web site and see what the System Requirements are for using their software on your computer!
If you plan on doing postprocessing of photos, I strongly urge still using a separate monitor with hardware controls of secreen Brightness and Contrast of the monitor hardware, and NOT use laptop monitors!
Your current desktop PC is a very respectable and current configuration. Just what is motivating a switch? you almost always pay a premium to have the 'same thing' in laptop package!

The desktop I have it custom built. It is a few years old, so I don't know how it would handle 4K.
But, its very large, and Im doing a lot of travel so portability would be more ideal.
Especially when travelling in a camper van.

I currently have a 1000w power supply on it.
I doubt its using that much, but either way, I need something with very low power usage.
Laptops would use less, and be on battery, so more ideal.

Michael Frymus

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,858 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2017 16:56 as a reply to  @ Michael Frymus's post |  #8

The 1000W supply merely means the power supply can PROVIDE up to 1000W at various loads of 12V and 5V to the necessary circuit boards and 'peripheral' devices (harddrive, floppy, DVD, graphics card) but does not mean that that is actually what it DRAWS from the wall. For example, one 1000W supply advertised on the web provides

• +3.3V@25A,
  • +5V@25A,
  • +12V@83.3A,
  • -12V@0.8A,
  • +5VSB@3A

and if the DRAW by the hardware only totals 200W, a 1000W supply has lots of surplus capacity but is not DRAWING 1000W out of the wall (or camper/van). it will not DRAW the 13A max from 120V outlet unless it is providing all 1000W that is demanded by things plugged in.

Now admittedly the laptop MIGHT be using lower draw components...like the CPU chip itself might be a low-power version chip than used in a desktop, so that battery life is extended. But then again, how many laptops have video support for a 4K monitor?! And then if you are a gamer and need the video card acceleration that is in your desktop, you might have a hard time getting the same capabilities in a laptop because it cannot separately cool the video card like a desktop can (which can use more electricity consuming cooling fans mounted on the video card).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MikeJohnson
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Apr 15, 2017 08:38 |  #9

For editing 4K videos on the laptop, you will need a high configured machine with quad core i7 and at least Nvidia GTX 1060 or 960M graphics. RAM has to be 16GB for smooth editing experience and for storage I recommend SSD. Size can be 256GB, 512GB based on your requirements and budget but no less than 256GB because size of 4K videos will be huge.

Other than specifications,

Editing 4K videos on the laptops with 4K display will be best experience. However, it isn't necessary thing to have. You can cut on cost by buying a laptop with color accurate 1080p display and edit videos on it.

You can consider all the aforementioned things to search for the laptop for your video editing requirements.

I don't know if this laptop falls in $2000 CAD price range but,

ASUS Zenbook Pro UX502VW is a pretty solid laptop with 4K display, powerful quad core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM and 512GB of SSD. It is available for 1300USD on Amazon here. You can search for it on Canada's Amazon or any other website there and find best deal. You can find other good options in different price ranges here - https://laptopunderbud​get.com …laptops-for-video-editing (external link)

tonykakkar
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2019

Feb 17, 2019 03:27 as a reply to  @ MikeJohnson's post |  #10

It's a good place to start. Don't expend or use less time on CPU, GPU or RAM. The power supply is important to feed a big GPU and multiple drives.

Another good place to go to look at component prices and pre-build a system is https://www.thecrazybu​yers.com/best-laptop-for-video-editing (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,343 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 17, 2019 05:38 |  #11

tonykakkar wrote in post #18812697 (external link)
It's a good place to start.

Mike Johnson's comments (post #9) are almost two years old as is his recommendations which are likely outdated.

sponsored links

2,696 views & 1 like for this thread
Desktop to Laptop switch
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.