Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 19:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luminosity Masking Plugin - Opinions Please

lacogada
287 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by lacogada.

Apr 16, 2017 19:32 |  #1

Thinking of trying out a luminosity mask plugin.

Appreciate opinions from anyone that has tried any of these three plugins.

AD Panel Pro
Raya Pro
Lumenzia

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,236 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 16, 2017 19:39 |  #2

No experience, but I've been checking into Luminzia, looks pretty dang nice.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Peano
Goldmember
1,726 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 16, 2017 19:47 |  #3

I've never understood the appeal of luminosity masks. In my more than 15 years of Photoshop editing, I've never found them useful. To each his own, I guess ...

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
802 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 16, 2017 21:25 |  #4

I really like Tony Kuyper's (external link) plugin. It does a lot more than just LM's (eg, the web sharpening action is great) and as far as I am aware is the only (?) plugin that does LM's in 16-bit.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Damo77
Goldmember
4,608 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2017 21:43 |  #5

Peano wrote in post #18329765 (external link)
I've never understood the appeal of luminosity masks. In my more than 15 years of Photoshop editing, I've never found them useful. To each his own, I guess ...

Absolutely agree.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,608 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2017 21:43 |  #6

lacogada wrote in post #18329758 (external link)
Thinking of trying out a luminosity mask plugin.

Please just show us what you wish to achieve, and we'll show you how to do it in Photoshop already.

Damien

Damo77
Goldmember
4,608 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2017 21:55 |  #7

Every cent you can save by not buying nonsense plugins is another cent you can put towards stuff that really matters - new lens, new lighting, whatever.

Damien

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,236 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 16, 2017 23:53 |  #8

Damo77 wrote in post #18329849 (external link)
Every cent you can save by not buying nonsense plugins is another cent you can put towards stuff that really matters - new lens, new lighting, whatever.

When you actually work as a photographer, time is money.

Some software allows greater effencies, so regardless of whether there are other ways to achieve the goal if something lets me get it done faster, I'm going to check it out.

Anyway, the thread topic is not asking about ways to do things without a plug in ... it is asking which plug in.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 17, 2017 00:33 |  #9

Most plug ins are a waste of money.

Luminosity masking is a useful tool and Tony Kuyper's tools are well implemented and useful. What he is offering is really an efficient suite of tools. As mentioned above, they work in 16bit. There are two tool panels and it is worth buying them together. They allow quick push-button actions (many of which are useful outside of the luminosity masking context as well--dealing with efficiently viewing selections, adding much-used adj layers, efficiently replacing masks, etc). They also allow you to make luminosity variations which are based on individual channels, etc.

Luminosity Masking is a fairly sophisticated tool set and allows you to make adjustments which look natural because you are using the image itself to make the adjustments. Hand painting a mask tends to be more time consuming and, often, looks more ham-fisted.

When I first got the tools, I used them to speed some of my work, but the initial benefit was how quickly they helped me gain practical insight into channels. This is helpful for building stronger images. I use these manipulations regularly in actions I have made.

If I am trying to subtly improve local contrast, create sophisticated color grading or adjust tonality in monochrome or color images, I often find luminosity masks helpful.

I have no affiliation with Tony Kuyper except as a customer.

He has a number of articles and videos which are useful. He also works with an instructor who has produced videos and the available free samples provide some useful insights.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Picture North Carolina with reason 'fixed links'. (4 edits in all)

Apr 17, 2017 05:24 |  #10

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Raya Pro (external link). Like TK's, does luminosity masks, auto blending, but a whole lot more.

Here's comparisons (external link) between Raya Pro and the TK panels.

Edit: note that the new RP v2.0 was released 2/23/2017 and contains many new tools. Any comparisons or reviews before that date would not be complete and up to date. And no, I am not affiliated with RP in any way. A video of v2 (external link).

Website (external link) |

lacogada
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined May 2015

Apr 17, 2017 08:08 |  #11

That's why I'm here asking as I've questioned myself as to "how useful would they actually be"
with all the features PS already has.

From the videos, it seems they may speed up the selection process.
But then they take up more screen space.

Thanks for the info on the TK panel ... I'll have a look.

Appreciate all the reply's people ... Thanks.

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 17, 2017 08:26 |  #12

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18330005 (external link)
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Raya Pro (external link). Like TK's, does luminosity masks, auto blending, but a whole lot more.

Here's comparisons (external link) between Raya Pro and the TK panels.

Edit: note that the new RP v2.0 was released 2/23/2017 and contains many new tools. Any comparisons or reviews before that date would not be complete and up to date. And no, I am not affiliated with RP in any way. A video of v2 (external link).

I will look into this product.

When I got TKActions, there were no real competitors, just a few much simpler tools which did a minimal job of implementing Tony's directions. He was writing articles about how to do it before he started creating actions and later plugins. And you can still read those today. It's just less efficient to do it by hand and, at this point, his tools provide more sophisticated options.

I'm interested to see what Raya Pro offers. The new version of TK panels came out after the latest Raya. Tony sent an update email to users of the older version on March 14, 2017 for a major revision, Version five.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 17, 2017 09:04 |  #13

I found a comprehensive comparison, which may serve as a good starting point.

The author has compiled a spreadsheet, which he keeps updating, about the various products and his written description also has notes added as he learns more and programs get updated.

He also has a long video review demonstrating differences, which I have not yet finished. Do read the page, since he has learned more since he made the video.

https://www.exploringe​xposure.com …inosity-mask-panel-review (external link)

C&C always welcomed...

lacogada
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined May 2015

Apr 17, 2017 10:45 |  #14

F2Bthere wrote in post #18330168 (external link)
I found a comprehensive comparison, which may serve as a good starting point.

The author has compiled a spreadsheet, which he keeps updating, about the various products and his written description also has notes added as he learns more and programs get updated.

He also has a long video review demonstrating differences, which I have not yet finished. Do read the page, since he has learned more since he made the video.

https://www.exploringe​xposure.com …inosity-mask-panel-review (external link)

Nice find ... thank you !

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 17, 2017 12:49 |  #15

Agree... interesting find.

I learned long ago not to trust a single person's review and recommendations, but nonetheless worth investigating. If things check out, Raya Pro will be replaced by TK.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links

12,406 views & 11 likes for this thread
Luminosity Masking Plugin - Opinions Please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.