Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 03 Nov 2016 (Thursday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Struggling on a mirrorless camera.. Which one?

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Spacemunkie.

Apr 17, 2017 04:47 as a reply to  @ post 18329949 |  #136

Oh dear. Got to love it when someone takes something on the internet too seriously :D

There was no attempt to "deceive others" i was simply just trying to "give them the correct information" as it pertains to my personal experience of Olympus bodies.

The XT2 is objectively a better body than anything Olympus currently makes, so I really fail to see what the problem is! :)

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

sponsored links
rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 17, 2017 05:04 |  #137

Well not sure how much it has to do with taking things too seriously..

But i also felt a false reprentation of olympus was being given..

But i get that you were sharing your experience with it..

Like all cameras there are some bodies and lenses that are built better than others within the same brand

I could be wrong , and i dont feel like rereading the entire thing just to make quotes ..

But it did feel like in this thread , the conclusion was ..not olympus because they build crap quality
But maybe i also took it "too seriously ";-)a

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 17, 2017 06:48 as a reply to  @ rantercsr's post |  #138

No false representation - I'm on a 100% fail rate in just two bodies. Both less than a week old.

Their stuff is flimsy compared to all the other gear I've used and I wouldn't recommend it - especially not over the XT2 :)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 17, 2017 07:33 |  #139
bannedPermanent ban

And yet Olympus is the leading mirrorless camera manufacturer with Fuji not even breaking the top three. Go figure, a camera that disintegrates in your hands is bought more than other cameras. Must be an awful lot of stupid photographers out there.

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 17, 2017 08:11 |  #140

raminolta wrote in post #18329949 (external link)
I am neither a fan of Olympus nor own one. Between the two brands, I do actually prefer Fuji simply because I prefer a larger sensor over a smaller one. Be it a rational preference or an emotional one, at least, I don't attempt to fool myself or deceive others. I prefer a full frame over either of them though; the larger, the better, lol..

Dude, you obviously need Fuji! Full Frame!? Seriously, we are past the full frame days. Time to go bigger! Get a Fuji GFX! ;)

Mirrorless Medium Format or bust!

Signed, the biggest Fuji Fanboi. ;)

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,791 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Apr 17, 2017 10:53 |  #141

raminolta wrote in post #18329949 (external link)
Whatever your responses, I am not going back to read and respond.

I am rather stunned at this statement. It is the online equivalent of someone saying something, and then, as soon as they are done talking, putting their hands over their ears so that they can not hear anything anyone else has to say. Kids did that back in 2nd grade........by 3rd grade they had matured and no longer did it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 18, 2017 17:23 |  #142

Hogloff wrote in post #18330109 (external link)
And yet Olympus is the leading mirrorless camera manufacturer...

You're essentially saying here that sales volume = quality of product when anybody with reasonable critical faculties could give you reasons why that might not be the case ;)

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 18, 2017 18:05 as a reply to  @ Spacemunkie's post |  #143

i'm sure Toyota could give many reasons why that would be the case ;-)a

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 20, 2017 16:46 |  #144

And Gerald Ratner says otherwise. What's your point?

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,926 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 20, 2017 17:50 |  #145

Great that you ordered a X-T2 hopefully it will be what you are looking for. It's a different experience to shooting with a DLSR, things work differently, so it can take a little time to get the best out of it.

What lenses are you opting for?

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 20, 2017 18:53 as a reply to  @ Spacemunkie's post |  #146

I thought it was obvious.. but if I must..
there is a valid point in arguing that sales numbers can mean a good quality product... for example... Toyota's numbers

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 20, 2017 19:00 |  #147
bannedPermanent ban

rantercsr wrote in post #18333404 (external link)
I thought it was obvious.. but if I must..
there is a valid point in arguing that sales numbers can mean a good quality product... for example... Toyota's numbers

Yeh, should we compare Toyota sales versus Lada sales.

If Olympus cameras were disintegrating like it was pictured by a few here, their numbers would surely show it like Lada sales figures.

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 21, 2017 10:58 as a reply to  @ Two Hot Shoes's post |  #148

the kit lens, a zoom and I'm waiting on the new 80mm macro.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,257 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Apr 21, 2017 16:21 |  #149

Mareshow wrote in post #18174955 (external link)
So I shoot with Canon 1DXs, and while I really enjoy it, for family trips and vacations it is an absolute PIG to carry around.

So I'd like to get a mirrorless camera that i could also use as a back up in a pinch if I had to. I'm looking at either the Fujifilm XT-1 or XT-2, or the Sony A7II. Most likely this camera will be used for family stuff and on vacations so I dont want to spend more, and Ideally i want to keep it small with a single lens or two so I'm not packing around a ton of stuff. Any suggestions? Feel free to add another option if you'd like. As far as the full frame vs apsc, I'm not pulled either way or at least i think i'm not...

First of all, stop thinking of 'mirrorless' so much like a commodity product. One key point of differentiation -- true for mirrorless as it is true for dSLR -- is the question of what size sensor? There are micro 4/3 mirrorless, APS-C mirrorless, and FF mirrorless.
As you go smaller in sensor size, your need for FL diminishes as well, making the lenses 'smaller' only because you don't need as high a FL to achieve the same Angle of View. True for mirrorless just as it is true for dSLR.
So if SIZE is what is driving you to mirrorless compared to your beastly 1Dx body, simply downsize the sensor to maximize any benefit of 'smaller body'...if you buy same FL and same max aperture in FF mirrorless or FF dSLR, there will be little benefit in lens size. In overall kit weight you save only about 10% in weight of mirrorless FF vs. dSLR FF sensor kit. And most of your gain in decreasing size is the body...same FL = 'same size' for all intents and purposes.

To maximize your potential to shrink kit, think of the 4/3 format different choices.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18334085

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,926 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 21, 2017 17:15 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #150

Interesting numbers on weight savings. I specked out what I use to carry about at weddings when I shot with 5D3's and now that I shoot with Fuji's, the weight savings is about half. Interestingly the savings when removing the bodies is also about half. So thats a 50% saving either way when you move from Full frame Canon to Fuji APS-C.

Moving from the APS-C sensor to Micro 4/3 only saved 1/4 [over the fuji setup, 1/4 of 50%] weight with equivalent items or ~700g but you fill fit more M4/3 lenses and bodies in your jacket pocket, those things are indeed small. But then again you could always just get a Sony RX IV if you want a handy camera for everyday snaps that is small and good [enough?] IQ. Personally I think Fuji is a good balance between size/weight and performance/IQ for my needs, yours might be different...

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

sponsored links

26,929 views & 126 likes for this thread
Struggling on a mirrorless camera.. Which one?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.