Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 16 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 16:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Contract Cancellation verbiage

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,582 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 16, 2017 16:03 |  #1

I have a bride who is in breach of her contract and we have decided to part ways. This has NOT been a pleasant split, so rather than just sending a basic email, I want to send something a little more firm and very specific.

I need it to cover:
- Why the contract is being terminated
- A clear statement of all responsibilities being ended
- A clear discussion of what happens with the deposit
- A clear statement of the possible legal repercussions for leaving me negative feedback as a personal attack

I have a very good contract, but have never had to send something like this, certainly not with this much seriousness. Does anyone have a link to one or something they use and would care to share? I'll be glad to share my email address if you would prefer.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

sponsored links
Amadauss
667 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Amadauss. (3 edits in all)

Apr 17, 2017 21:07 |  #2

When you say breach, can you state how. Did she give you a deposit and now for whatever reason, has decided to not use you for her wedding?

If you have a good contract, not sure why you would need to send her anything. If she decides to end the agreement, your contract should have listed what happens if this is the case. The deposit should be a non issue. She loses it.

The negative feedback, you need to respond.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 17, 2017 22:03 |  #3

You dont need to write an essay. You need to point the the paragraphs/clauses where SHE breached. If you cant point to specific paragraph(s), she's probably not ine breach ... and you have other issues .... you guys just arent getting along.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 17, 2017 22:27 |  #4

Has the person decided to use somebody else or are you firing the client? It's not clear what happened here.

What does your contract say about refunding the deposit? I really agree with what kjonnnn is saying. The more you right the greater the potential for antagonism, or even worse, hanging yourself for things she will claim are not true (I'm not taking HER side, just thinking about how some folks over react).

Have you both had an actual conversation about the problems or has this just been an email/text communication?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,582 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 18, 2017 07:46 |  #5

Thanks guys.

I have turned this over to my attorney to review and advise me on how to proceed forward legally, so at this time, I'm not going to discuss the specifics. I will say there was a 3rd party, non-affilliated photographer involved.

Appreciate the comments.

Facebook (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by sapearl.

Apr 18, 2017 08:09 |  #6

huntersdad wrote in post #18331019 (external link)
Thanks guys.

I have turned this over to my attorney to review and advise me on how to proceed forward legally, so at this time, I'm not going to discuss the specifics. I will say there was a 3rd party, non-affilliated photographer involved.

Appreciate the comments.

You will always have additional photogs to contend with at weddings - just a fact of life, and something that can usually be diplomatically dealt with; just depends on interpersonal skills.

I'm not sure I understand why you sought advice here if you felt it was serious enough to involve an attorney. Are you sure you really want to take that route? Attorneys have their time and place but personally I'd exhaust all other avenues before taking the nuclear option. Once you go down that road everybody faces the potential of months of aggravation, cost, lost time and general distraction. Regardless of who is right, you may also pick up the rep of the photographer who sues.

Sorry it got to this point.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 18, 2017 10:21 |  #7

Amadauss wrote in post #18330735 (external link)
If you have a good contract, not sure why you would need to send her anything. If she decides to end the agreement, your contract should have listed what happens if this is the case. The deposit should be a non issue. She loses it.

Exactly. Other than confirming the cancellation (including brief description as to why) their isn't much more to do. Although to be honest I'd personally refund the deposit if you are that worried about repercussions (as a sign of no hard feelings / good will). Wish her the best and be done with it.

Given what you charge I hardly see how getting lawyers involved is in any way going to be cost effective nor lead to a non confrontational outcome.

As for 3rd party photographer... if there is another hire and your contract states you're the only one then it couldn't be simpler to state why the contract is being terminated. If it is just someone else taking pics at the wedding... well that happens. Not a big deal really.

If it is a case of mutually deciding to split why not just refund and be done with it? Some things are best left alone.

Having read your first post... and your latest about lawyering up is seems you are diving head first into confrontation.

Peter

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,582 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 18, 2017 11:52 |  #8

The attorney was due to threats made against me personally and my business. I felt it in my best interest to contact my attorney for his advice.

The 3rd party was an outside wedding photographer. I am quite used to dealing with people with iPhones and DSLRs. The bride however invited a outside wedding photographer to come and shoot.

I posted this before the threats were made or the attorney involved. I do not suspect that this will go any further than a simple cancellation and a letter from him, but I wanted to be sure I followed the rule of the law in case it did as well as understand any other legal recourses at my disposal if needed.

Facebook (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 18, 2017 12:24 |  #9

Did the bride actually CONTRACT another photographer, in addition to yourself or was he/she just an invited friend/photographer?

Obviously something very serious happened which we are not privy too because I can't imagine a bride/groom making a personal or business threat. In all my years of social event work I have certainly had differences of opinion, and a couple of incidents where a client was not 100% pleased, but never one that escalated to this point. We could always calmly talk things out. Obviously you feel an atty is needed.

GEAR LIST

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,582 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 18, 2017 12:36 |  #10

I tried the talking and working things out. It didn't work. That's when things went downhill in a manner even I wasn't expecting.

Facebook (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 18, 2017 12:38 |  #11

huntersdad wrote in post #18331230 (external link)
I tried the talking and working things out. It didn't work. That's when things went downhill in a manner even I wasn't expecting.

Very sorry to hear that - truly hope it all works out with minimal fuss.

GEAR LIST

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 18, 2017 13:52 |  #12

I had more than my fair share of encounters with Bridezillas when I was in the formal wear rental/sales business.

my favorite: "THE PLEATS ON THE CUMMERBUND ARE UPSIDEDOWN"

Its amazing how ballistic/nuclear things can get.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 19, 2017 09:45 |  #13

I noticed the word 'Outside' photographer was used. Is this part of a package from the venue as in you're the exclusive tog for the venue? That puts a new spin on it. Is it you that doesn't want a 3rd party tog, or the bride that wants one? How about letting him shoot as your second with joint usage rights to his shots?
Is there no way recover the situation at all?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,582 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 19, 2017 12:30 as a reply to  @ Colin Glover's post |  #14

No way to recover things. It is a 3rd party invited by the bride.

Facebook (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 19, 2017 13:35 |  #15

huntersdad wrote in post #18332136 (external link)
No way to recover things. It is a 3rd party invited by the bride.

Was this a CONTRACTED 3rd party invited by the bride to provide photo coverage or just a friend who was asked to furnish some photography?

I have to say you have been very cryptic with the info you have posted here.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

6,580 views & 4 likes for this thread
Wedding Contract Cancellation verbiage
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.