Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9 Announced

ksbal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 20, 2017 10:26 as a reply to  @ post 18332909 |  #31

Link

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,352 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 20, 2017 10:56 |  #32

ksbal wrote in post #18332947 (external link)
Link

Thank you!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ksbal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 20, 2017 11:55 |  #33

I just realized something...

How much is the grip and two batteries going to run you? That could pare down the price difference significantly.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 20, 2017 13:58 |  #34

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18332928 (external link)
But before people go investing tens of thousands of dollars in Sony glass, they need to know that they can trust Sony to keep the same mount configuration for years and years and years to come. . Nobody spending 20 or 30 grand on a collection of lenses is going to be satisfied using adaptors.

I totally agree. I'm a Canon shooter that loves the a6500 that I have. I use it as my hobbiest / fun camera now. The Canon is saved for my sports. I'm not jumping in with both feet yet but Sony is moving in the right direction. I'm an optimist at heart!;-)a

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Apr 20, 2017 14:04 |  #35

tmalone893 wrote in post #18333147 (external link)
I totally agree. I'm a Canon shooter that loves the a6500 that I have. I use it as my hobbiest / fun camera now. The Canon is saved for my sports. I'm not jumping in with both feet yet but Sony is moving in the right direction. I'm an optimist at heart!;-)a

Plenty will hold back. But enough are going to take the plunge. This is going to liven up the market quite a bit, I think. I'm looking forwards to see how Canon and Nikon respond ... although holding my breath would definitely be foolish.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,068 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 20, 2017 14:21 |  #36

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18333110

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 20, 2017 16:34 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18333239

Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,438 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 20, 2017 17:09 |  #38

This thing looks absolutely badass!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Apr 20, 2017 17:14 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #39

It's not all good. Check out these links (courtesy DPReview):

https://www.dpreview.c​om …s/9882546842/Ha​nd01c.jpeg (external link)
https://www.dpreview.c​om …58753/Images/In​handA.jpeg (external link)

Those are some very nasty ergonomics.

David.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 20, 2017 17:51 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

DaviSto wrote in post #18333330 (external link)

maybe if you have hands like andre the giant.

I had the a7rII and ergonomics are perfectly fine.

Gear List

bpaulette
635 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 20, 2017 18:02 |  #41

DaviSto wrote in post #18333330 (external link)

Ergonomics-wise... I'm actually in agreement to a point. If you don't add the vertical grip, the thing is frickin TINY. I have long fingers, and when I use it without the grip, basically my ring finger and pinkie are curled around the bottom of the camera. Not pleasant for long shooting days. So my A7Rii basically has the vertical grip on it, almost all the time. But I do love the fact that when I want to just go out with the family, I have the option of stripping it down to a very small package... take off the grip, swap out the bigger lens for a tiny little one like the 55mm, and toss it in the wife's purse. heh

Here's how mine looks 99% of the time though. I find it very comfortable to use with the grip. And then, without. I like having the option, personally. (and yeah... I'm basically considering the a9 grip as a given part of the purchase price)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- BP -
---------------
Sony A7R II | Sonnar FE 55 | Zeiss Batis 85 | FE 90 Macro G | Metabones IV
24L II | 85L II | 135L | 24-105L | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 40-Shorty | Bower 14mm | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Apr 20, 2017 18:20 |  #42

bpaulette wrote in post #18333366 (external link)
Ergonomics-wise... I'm actually in agreement to a point. If you don't add the vertical grip, the thing is frickin TINY. I have long fingers, and when I use it without the grip, basically my ring finger and pinkie are curled around the bottom of the camera. Not pleasant for long shooting days. So my A7Rii basically has the vertical grip on it, almost all the time. But I do love the fact that when I want to just go out with the family, I have the option of stripping it down to a very small package... take off the grip, swap out the bigger lens for a tiny little one like the 55mm, and toss it in the wife's purse. heh

Here's how mine looks 99% of the time though. I find it very comfortable to use with the grip. And then, without. I like having the option, personally. (and yeah... I'm basically considering the a9 grip as a given part of the purchase price)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by bpaulette in
./showthread.php?p=183​33366&i=i110617419
forum: Sony Cameras

I do fully understand the case for lightness ... but I don't follow the case for smallness. Allowing a bit more space for air inside a mirrorless body would add scarcely any weight, might improve cooling, and would allow for an easier form factor for most hands, and ... most importantly ... for a less cramped and diminutive set of controls.

I actually think this opens up a big opportunity for Nikon and, most especially, Canon to offer a mirrorless alternative in a larger and more relaxed form factor. Sony are stuck for a good few years to come within the constraints of their E-mount system ... no going back now. Canon and Nikon have a lot more freedom.

David.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,546 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 20, 2017 18:26 |  #43

DaviSto wrote in post #18333378 (external link)
I do fully understand the case for lightness ... but I don't follow the case for smallness. ...

Smallness = portability. I am seriously looking at the Sony system as it significantly decreases the bag size I have to lug around. Smaller camera, smaller lenses = smaller bag. Right now I'm lugging around a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW and it does get to be a pain.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 20, 2017 18:36 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #18333383 (external link)
Smallness = portability. I am seriously looking at the Sony system as it significantly decreases the bag size I have to lug around. Smaller camera, smaller lenses = smaller bag. Right now I'm lugging around a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW and it does get to be a pain.

Exactly, and when you have to chase around your kid l. Small and light is a huge advantage.

Gear List

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Apr 20, 2017 18:39 |  #45

gjl711 wrote in post #18333383 (external link)

I think the generally accepted position is that -- for the same level of quality (basically FL and aperture) -- there is scarcely any difference between a traditional DSLR and a FF mirrorless set-up. If you are going for native glass, what you gain on the body you lose on the lens (potentially, time and time again). If you are using adapted lenses, you may save some bulk/weight but you are likely to lose out a little on performance.

Fair enough, if you want to put together a more cheerful walk-about kit using slower lenses, you can maybe gain a couple of hundred grams advantage and a few cubic inches ... but it is not going to be a lot for any like for like comparison.

If you really want to save weight and space, you have to go cropped. It's physics.

David.

sponsored links

36,859 views & 178 likes for this thread
Sony A9 Announced
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.