Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 19:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 7D Av Shooting

tmwhitm
66 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 18, 2017 19:11 |  #1

This may be more of a sanity check for me to see if I am missing something. I have noticed that when I shoot with aperture priority my photos are coming out dark, even outdoors with full sun, ISO set to 200. To verify my aperture setting, I will set the camera to fully auto and then match the aperture setting in aperture priority. What I noticed was the camera was setting the shutter speed differently at fully auto than with aperture priority with the same setting. Would anyone know if I am missing something either with the configuration of the camera, the Av settings or maybe it's just the photographer...Thank you,

Canon 30D
Canon 7D
Canon Powershot SD780 IS
Sigma DC 17-70mm
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
Lens EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,200 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 18, 2017 19:40 |  #2

tmwhitm wrote in post #18331594 (external link)
This may be more of a sanity check for me to see if I am missing something. I have noticed that when I shoot with aperture priority my photos are coming out dark, even outdoors with full sun, ISO set to 200. To verify my aperture setting, I will set the camera to fully auto and then match the aperture setting in aperture priority. What I noticed was the camera was setting the shutter speed differently at fully auto than with aperture priority with the same setting. Would anyone know if I am missing something either with the configuration of the camera, the Av settings or maybe it's just the photographer...Thank you,

Heya,

Check your +/- EC option. The little graph with the stops +/-. You either have EC turned negative, or you're using evaluative mode and shooting something with a very bright source within the FOV.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

tmwhitm
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 18, 2017 20:16 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

Thanks but the camera was set to spot metering and the +- was in the middle. AF points are independent of the metering?

Canon 30D
Canon 7D
Canon Powershot SD780 IS
Sigma DC 17-70mm

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,200 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 18, 2017 20:17 |  #4

tmwhitm wrote in post #18331650 (external link)
Thanks but the camera was set to spot metering and the +- was in the middle. AF points are independent of the metering?

In spot metering, it will meter the selected AF spot. Check which one it is.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

tmwhitm
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 18, 2017 20:26 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #5

It wasn't the center, it was set to four points around the center. I use this for action shots. I will have to test. Thanks...

Canon 30D
Canon 7D
Canon Powershot SD780 IS
Sigma DC 17-70mm

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,245 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 18, 2017 20:27 |  #6

With spot metering, the 7D uses the center circle in the viewfinder. Set evaluative or center weighted metering and see if exposures are better.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,266 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 18, 2017 20:34 |  #7

tmwhitm wrote in post #18331650 (external link)

What exactly are you shooting? If you are spot metering a subject in a white shirt, or a white bird or a white car then the meter will be fooled and will under expose (even though the meter says the exposure is correct). Does it still happen if you point the camera at a black wall?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

tmwhitm
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 18, 2017 20:45 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #8

Outside portrait, Easter picture, very bright. I will have to test against a darker subject. Mentioned in the post above yours, I do recall now that I have played with the metering by changing it to evaluative and had better results but that was inside taking hockey photos. I just must have the wrong combination set, it's just that I don't recall having this issue with my 30D.

Canon 30D
Canon 7D
Canon Powershot SD780 IS
Sigma DC 17-70mm

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,602 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 18, 2017 20:47 |  #9

Green box mode and P mode both behave differently than Av...if ISO 400 were set and f/4 was the selected aperture in Av mode, it would behave more similar to P mode and Green Box mode.

P and GreenBox are simply programmed to try to keep the know-little snapshooter out of trouble for most situations, whereas Av mode assumes the user knows a little about what they are doing and the implications of a too-slow shutter speed.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,875 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by mwsilver.

Apr 18, 2017 20:51 |  #10

tmwhitm wrote in post #18331657 (external link)
It wasn't the center, it was set to four points around the center. I use this for action shots. I will have to test. Thanks...

It's pretty obvious that your use of spot metering is the issue. Try evaluative instead. I'm curious why you decided to use spot metering for your action shots. Spot meters on the center 5% of the viewfinder and should mainly be used when your subject is much lighter or darker than the surrounding area. When used in apppriate circumstances it's a great feature. When used inappropriately, it can result in a dark surrounding area. The settings in auto were not using spot metering which is why they were different than the Av settings.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,014 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by apersson850.

Apr 19, 2017 03:26 |  #11

Listen to Mark. He has the correct explanation for you.
Just realize that the selection of AF points is a separate setting from light metering. The only time they interact is when using evaluative metering, as it gets information from the AF setting about what is most important in the picture.
More advanced models have more intricate relationships between AF and metering, but for a 7D, this is true.

Anders

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,875 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by mwsilver. (5 edits in all)

Apr 19, 2017 09:29 |  #12

tmwhitm wrote in post #18331669 (external link)
Outside portrait, Easter picture, very bright. I will have to test against a darker subject. Mentioned in the post above yours, I do recall now that I have played with the metering by changing it to evaluative and had better results but that was inside taking hockey photos. I just must have the wrong combination set, it's just that I don't recall having this issue with my 30D.

Spot is not intended for general outdoor images. Is this a constant issue or only for a few selected shots? Did you review after taking the shots in spot? Did they look overly dark on the LCD? If so, when this occurs switch to evaluative or partial metering. Depending on the lighting and how extreme the difference between the subject and background is, using spot metering in order to get your subject exposed well could result in very dark backgrounds. It's a trade off. Thats why evaluative exists, to give you the best overall metering balance. If you could post a couple of examples for us, that would be useful.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 19, 2017 10:35 |  #13

Have you checked iso as well? Green box sets auto iso, so you need to set that the same. And then check metering pointer is as close to central as possible. Job's a good one!

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

tmwhitm
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 20, 2017 18:57 |  #14

I did check the ISO but it was an after thought and I realized that the green box had set the ISO lower than what I had, 200 vs 100 so it wasn't completely apples to apples. I used the spot meter thinking, with a portrait and the focal point on the subject, the image would be exposed correctly. They did look dark in the LCD. I will test again but have to wait till the weekend.

Canon 30D
Canon 7D
Canon Powershot SD780 IS
Sigma DC 17-70mm

Sgt.
914 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 20, 2017 19:14 as a reply to  @ tmwhitm's post |  #15

Why dont you just shoot in manual?

Iain
7D MKII
Another minion in the Pondrader fan club

sponsored links

6,389 views & 4 likes for this thread
EOS 7D Av Shooting
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.