Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9 Announced

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 20, 2017 20:57 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

Canon 1DX II vs Sony a9 AF Tracking performance comparison

https://youtu.be/gcIpu​o_mJl8?t=231 (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,459 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Apr 20, 2017 21:15 |  #47

That's looking good. Can't wait to see it in the hands of some real action shooters and hear what they have to say.

A question, is the sensor on this somewhere between the A7s II and A7rII for low light capability? (based on pixel density)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 20, 2017 22:34 |  #48

Looks amazing on paper. Touch tilt screen, happiness. I'll hold off happiness on the joystick to see if it actually works or has issues like the A99ii which was a deal breaker for me coupled with it not having a touchscreen either.

After thinking about it I started to think that they will come out with one or two variations of the A9 because of the body. If it was truly meant to directly challenge the 1d and D5 they should have made it a unibody with grip built in #1 to make it a little more rugged and robust, and #2 to slap a huge single battery in it just like Canikon flagships. That would help mitigate the battery advantage even more. BUT, If they plan on doing variations it would save a lot of money using a body they already have instead of having another body without a grip built in.

I tip my hat to Sony for pushing the envelope and thank them for doing so! Ironically I remember reading and article just a little while ago where someone at Fuji said that mirrorless was probably one generation of processors away from being able to legitimately keep up and even surpass DSLRs. LOL!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,100 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Apr 20, 2017 22:54 |  #49

gjl711 wrote in post #18333383 (external link)
Smallness = portability. I am seriously looking at the Sony system as it significantly decreases the bag size I have to lug around. Smaller camera, smaller lenses = smaller bag. Right now I'm lugging around a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW and it does get to be a pain.

But as a Petapixel article has shown, the reduction in body size and weight does not always translate into similar savings of lens size and weight...a number of comparative photos have shown that with comparable FL and aperture lenses, the body+lens combination might actually be a bit deeper than the dSLR equivalent. Same FL for same sensor size = very similar weight and length of lens...thinner body can mean that more barrel length is needed (if the optical design was not specifically for a 'more telephoto' version of the same FL.)

https://petapixel.com …mirrorless-fatal-mistake/ (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

elitejp
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 20, 2017 22:55 |  #50

Jotto123 wrote in post #18332480 (external link)
20fps? Jesus Christ that's like filming.

The a7r3 should be interesting.

Ive been waiting with cash in the bank for the 6dm2 but its probably better to wait for the a7r3.

Sony is looking like the not so distant future of photography.

Canon and Nikon better get their stuff together because their future is looking dim.

Im the same as you but I am not even considering the 6d2. The a7r2 already seems awesome from the reviews ive seen but my 6d does just fine. The A7r3 though would probably be enough to get me to upgrade.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

elitejp
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 20, 2017 22:58 |  #51

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18332896 (external link)
A new flagship camera announced by one of the world's top camera manufacturers, and after one day there are only 2 pages of posts on its announcement thread? That is strange!

I thought that this forum was not supposed to be Canon-centric anymore, but clearly there is still a bias toward Canon when it comes to forum activity. What does Sony have to do to get just as much attention as Canon gets here on POTN?

This forum was 100% canon for quite some time. It wasnt like a whole new group of posters signed up just because the forum changed structure. I just take it for a grain of salt that you will get much more canon love here than with other brands.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 20, 2017 23:38 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #52

That's why there are lenses like the Zeiss 24 1.8, Zeiss 55 1.8 and the Sigma e-mount series of lenses--to keep size down and IQ up.

As a prime shooter it is hard not to be pleased with the size/ weight savings and end product after a day of shooting.

You come to the Sony threads with that PP story like every other month. We get it, science wins and Sony shooters have bought into nothing but a fad!!!

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,100 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Apr 20, 2017 23:47 |  #53

mickeyb105 wrote in post #18333594 (external link)
You come to the Sony threads with that PP story like every other month. We get it, science wins and Sony shooters have bought into nothing but a fad!!!

Not a fad, but marketing propaganda. We all fall victims of that, to various degrees. In the case of Sony mirrorless, the smaller FL for less-than-FF allowed Sony to beat that drum in an effort to gain market share, along with the mirrorless drum. Olympus had the size advantage and mirrorless design, for years before Sony, but did not beat that drum as strongly. When Sony failed to win more share in the FF market after plateauing at 3 Million and is prevented from getting more share from Nikon/Canon, it lets consumers continue to beat the size/weight drum to differentiate from its FF competition.

Sony deserves the size/weight advantage distinction for the FF mirrorless body; but as the petapixel article showed, that same advantage apparently has failed to materialize when lens size and weight are considered. Yes the FF mirrorless body is smaller and lighter. But if the weight saving is ONLY in the body, and the body is 25% of the weight of a kit with lenses, then a 20% drop in body weight amounts to 5% in kit weight.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,415 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Apr 21, 2017 00:00 |  #54

I think the point is that with Sony, you have access to smaller sized primes than with Canon, even if you kept the canon selection down to the sl1, the smallest Canon dslr. Or at least that seems to be what I glean from Sony owners.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Talley.

Apr 21, 2017 07:46 |  #55

I'll have to play around with one. The specs seem right if I can just get past the ergonomics. The X-T20 the wife has is small but I've gotten kinda use to it. This is much bigger than the Fuji and has tons of amazing features. Depending on some of the glass options this could get me to swap.

I wonder how AF performance is with sigma art glass and the MC-11 adapter.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 21, 2017 07:56 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

Cameras like a7r2, a9, x-t2, xt10, em1 are not small. Mirrorless returned camera sizes back to the same size they used to be in film days.

DSLR got fat and oversized because back in the day electronics were oversized and couldn't fit in a film camera body.

Now with advancement in technology cameras returned to the norm.

Gear List

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 21, 2017 08:23 as a reply to  @ post 18333777 |  #57

It just gets so old.

We don't care what anyone shoots on the Sony forum. It is fantastic when mods and fantastic posters share their opinions and experiences here.

Many of the regulars here shoot multi-platform, or are very open to the idea.

But why troll just to make sure the boards minority brand shooters know that you think your way is better than theirs?

When I'm out shooting and I see someone else shooting a D5, D500, 80D, or the rare Pentax body I don't walk up to them and explain how flawed their logic is for owning one. I do try and ask them what they like about their gear, though, as I love hearing their opinions.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,379 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 21, 2017 10:19 |  #58

When it comes to size, I greatly prefer a large camera, despite the fact that my hands are average in size. . I wish that Sony would realize that some people like to hold bigger cameras in their hands, and increase the size of their bodies.

A friend has a Sony 6 thousand something that is really small. .He got some kind of cage thing that looks kinda like a speed plate that wraps all the way around the camera. . It increases the overall size significantly, and he us able to use the camera comfortably due to the additional size.

The optional battery grip for the A9 seems like a no-brainer, but even with the grip the camera is too small for comfortable use.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,912 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 21, 2017 10:39 |  #59

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18333886 (external link)
When it comes to size, I greatly prefer a large camera, despite the fact that my hands are average in size. . I wish that Sony would realize that some people like to hold bigger cameras in their hands, and increase the size of their bodies.

A friend has a Sony 6 thousand something that is really small. .He got some kind of cage thing that looks kinda like a speed plate that wraps all the way around the camera. . It increases the overall size significantly, and he us able to use the camera comfortably due to the additional size.

The optional battery grip for the A9 seems like a no-brainer, but even with the grip the camera is too small for comfortable use.

I think the trend is that people want smaller, lighter, more compact rigs today. I think compact size may even be a more important factor than weight.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 21, 2017 10:54 |  #60
bannedPermanent ban

mwsilver wrote in post #18333902 (external link)
I think the trend is that people want smaller, lighter, more compact rigs today. I think compact size may even be a more important factor than weight.

that is the trend, and that trend is becoming bigger and bigger day by day in all regions around the world except in USA, where people in USA still have the mentality of "bigger is better", but that is also changing slowly.

Canon and and especially Nikon market shares are shrinking, while Sonys (and other mirrorless makers) are increasing, maybe slowly, but its happening.

There are hundreds of articles of people ditching DLSR for mirrorless bodies, while close to none of doing the opposite.

Gear List

sponsored links

36,906 views & 178 likes for this thread
Sony A9 Announced
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.