Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 06 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 19:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fine Art attempt #2

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 06, 2017 19:04 |  #1

I'm not very familiar with black and white, this took me 3 hours to edit.

Thoughts appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,301 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 06, 2017 19:08 |  #2

this took me 3 hours to edit

Why, was it an image of a flute?

Looks real good to me.

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 06, 2017 19:10 |  #3

texkam wrote in post #18321531 (external link)
this took me 3 hours to edit

Why, was it an image of a flute?

Looks real good to me.

LOL, no I just really suck at making decisions and the original file was rather flat.

Thanks.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 06, 2017 21:00 |  #4

Ya might want to take a look at one of the old film noir movies in B&W

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 07, 2017 10:35 |  #5

I would like to see the instrument (wood grain/varnish) more in focus than the strings, to me that tells the story of the instrument. The wear on the wood shows a seasoned instrument with character. Strings come and go.

I have one old beat up guitar with a few dings and paint worn off, passed down from my father. If I shot that guitar, that tells a story in a photo, my fairly new Strat and Les Paul would look like a product catalog shot.... ;-)a

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 08, 2017 19:32 |  #6

Here's a different one in color. This time the focus is somewhere midway down the bridge but focus when I have the extension tube in is very touchy.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 08, 2017 19:33 |  #7

chauncey wrote in post #18321597 (external link)
Ya might want to take a look at one of the old film noir movies in B&W

Chaunce, I'm not sure if that's a put down or an honest suggestion.. :D

- William Ernest Henley

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,556 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 09, 2017 06:40 |  #8

atsilverstein wrote in post #18321533 (external link)
LOL, no I just really suck at making decisions and the original file was rather flat.

Thanks.

I can't imagine what the original looked like as my first thought looking at the B&W above was that it looked flat.

atsilverstein wrote in post #18323010 (external link)
Chaunce, I'm not sure if that's a put down or an honest suggestion.. :D

I don't think this is a put down at all. I believe he's referring to the same thing I'm thinking which is what's missing here. There are so many great film noir movies that show just fantastic lighting, Touch of Evil, Double Indemnity are two that I can think of right off that show this. The sort of hard contrast black and white, not grey quality is what I think would do this picture well.

.........but that's me.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 09, 2017 07:39 |  #9

Was in no way meant as a put-down. I am a fan of quality movies...the ones that have superior lighting and photography. In spite of not being overwhelmed
by the script, Celestine Prophesy, http://www.imdb.com …80857?ref_=tt_p​v_vi_aiv_1 (external link) has that superior photography and lighting.
We all could improve our own photography by watching those types of movies and analyzing how they do stuff.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

bob_r
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 09, 2017 09:38 |  #10

chauncey wrote in post #18323279 (external link)
Was in no way meant as a put-down. I am a fan of quality movies...the ones that have superior lighting and photography. In spite of not being overwhelmed
by the script, Celestine Prophesy, http://www.imdb.com …80857?ref_=tt_p​v_vi_aiv_1 (external link) has that superior photography and lighting.
We all could improve our own photography by watching those types of movies and analyzing how they do stuff.

Excellent advise. Film noir movies featured hard lighting for key and back lights and rarely used fill. I think that the B&W image above would have benefited from hard lighting. The lighting looks soft and lacks shadows. Also, side lighting may have helped bring out more of the texture of the wood. Personally, I probably would have wanted to include more of the violin since it's intricate shape provides many areas that are perfect for capturing the contrast between light and shadows.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 09, 2017 10:51 |  #11

Excellent advise

Those that can do...do. Those that can't...teach.

Pigpen101
863 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pigpen101.

Apr 09, 2017 11:01 |  #12

atsilverstein wrote in post #18321528 (external link)
I'm not very familiar with black and white, this took me 3 hours to edit.

Thoughts appreciated.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by atsilverstein in
./showthread.php?p=183​21528&i=i254229433
forum: Critique Corner

I didn't attempt B&W conversion for a long time because I didn't like the results I was getting. Lighting (shadows) is very important w/ B&W. Also, for me, I found increasing the saturation a bit helped with contrast later during the conversion. You may want to look into NIK software (it used to cost $$, but Google bought it and it's now FREE). It's awesome that it's free, but now there are no updates or improvements since Google doesn't really care about it. I love the B&W conversion and the sharpening tools. It's helpful to watch some tutorials. Can't go wrong with free;-)a They are plug-ins for PSE and LR.

btw funny enough I am watching some film noir as we speak, LOL

NoLight
553 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 09, 2017 18:24 |  #13

Both images are truly beautiful. ya know like hanging on your wall beautiful!!!

trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 21, 2017 07:07 as a reply to  @ atsilverstein's post |  #14

For better overall focus, I'd go manual, use f/11, high ISO, and play with shutter speed.

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by atsilverstein.

Apr 21, 2017 08:21 |  #15

trailguy wrote in post #18333749 (external link)
For better overall focus, I'd go manual, use f/11, high ISO, and play with shutter speed.

Yes, but due to the extension tube there's little different in dof.

- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links

2,903 views & 9 likes for this thread
Fine Art attempt #2
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.