Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buy or Build

Mike ­ T.M.
517 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 20, 2017 09:24 |  #1

Hi all,

Looking at either buying or building a PC/iMac, which I know both have valid points; however, every search comes up with articles in the past. So, does anyone have a website they truly trust? I have a desktop that is not performing...I think a fan went bad and I'm too lazy in trying to figure out how to fix it. I would buy or build another PC, but I've always wanted to dip my toe in the Apple world. I'm hopping to increase my weddings and sport shoots soon and want to make sure the next pc can handle the work flow. I use lightroom now and PS, and that's about it. Thanks in advance. Thanks!

MTM

sponsored links
silvrr
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by silvrr.

Apr 20, 2017 09:37 |  #2

If your too lazy to open up your computer and check a fan and possibly replace it, I don't think building your own is for you.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
517 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 20, 2017 12:06 as a reply to  @ silvrr's post |  #3

HAHA so true...I should have perficient my statement, that I don't know what to look for.

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,818 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 21, 2017 08:46 |  #4

One can still be lazy and 'build' their own PC. Every 5 years I spend the time to research what components I should buy. Then I find a computer shop that will build oit for me. Usually they charge $50 provided you buy some of the components from them.

...but if my PC is not performing well I'm not too lazy to figure out if a component part needs replacing. I'd need to be rich to that lazy. :-D

There are hundreds of photogs online right now asking this question on different websites such as this. Find one with someone who has the same pricepoint as you. Read reviews. Reddit has several useful groups as well.

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,818 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 21, 2017 08:49 |  #5

or just read the more recent builds posted on this thread: https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=57682​8&page=121

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 25, 2017 15:54 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

if you want quality then building is the only option

Gear List

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,335 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 27, 2017 14:29 |  #7

Mike T.M. wrote in post #18332867 (external link)
Hi all,

Looking at either buying or building a PC/iMac, which I know both have valid points; however, every search comes up with articles in the past. So, does anyone have a website they truly trust? I have a desktop that is not performing...I think a fan went bad and I'm too lazy in trying to figure out how to fix it. I would buy or build another PC, but I've always wanted to dip my toe in the Apple world. I'm hopping to increase my weddings and sport shoots soon and want to make sure the next pc can handle the work flow. I use lightroom now and PS, and that's about it. Thanks in advance. Thanks!

MTM

Exactly what desktop are you currently using? Checking the fan on a desktop is a very simple procedure and likely to cost $10 or less. I would seriously check the fan before replacement of the desktop. The procedure often entails the removal of a few screws, disconnecting a cable assembly and the reverse to reassemble. Then, if you fix it, consider replacing the HDD with an SSD. That will give you a big performance boost.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2017 14:46 |  #8

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18338287 (external link)
if you want quality then building is the only option

That use to be true but no so much anymore. There are a lot of PCs out there every bit as good as what you can build for not a whole lot more. Maybe the one exception i for a hard core gaming machine but even there, you can buy some pretty beastly machines pre-built.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
517 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 27, 2017 16:17 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #9

I have the HP Pavilion Elite HPE Series. Should the fan be running all the time while it's on or only when using programs? It could be a user error :)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 27, 2017 17:41 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Mike T.M. wrote in post #18340319 (external link)
I have the HP Pavilion Elite HPE Series. Should the fan be running all the time while it's on or only when using programs? It could be a user error :)

define a fan? CPU fan? case fan? video card fan? PSU fan?

most run all the time, but will rev higher when under stress

Gear List

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 27, 2017 17:48 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #18340256 (external link)
That use to be true but no so much anymore. There are a lot of PCs out there every bit as good as what you can build for not a whole lot more. Maybe the one exception i for a hard core gaming machine but even there, you can buy some pretty beastly machines pre-built.

I completely disagree

I deal with HP, dells, lenovos almost on daily basis, and never seen one that was decently build with good components.

Memory is slowest possible speed, some low quality brand or some generic stuff.
PSU is some low-end bargain bin trash that is barely strong enough to run the system, add a video card or few hard drives and the PSU will barely supply enough power to run the system
what do you get with normal pre-build system? one year warranty, want more may more, want to actually speak to someone that you can understand, sure pay for "premium" US support.

with custom build system, if you pick good parts, you get (for no extra cost)
3 years on CPU
3 years on board
lifetime on memory
5-10 on power supply
3-10 on video card
2-5 on hard drive or SSD

other thing that really ticks me off about all pre-build systems, very often they used non-standard parts, different connectors, PSU that are different shape, its called ATX standard for a reason.

Lenovo also likes to clue the heatsink for CPU on.
Dell and HP also like to glue the motherboards to the case.

Gear List

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,335 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by John from PA.

Apr 27, 2017 18:53 |  #12

Mike T.M. wrote in post #18340319 (external link)

Do you know specifically what HP Elite HPE you have? There is one from about two years ago, the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-100 Desktop Computer that was quite popular. Since it has an Intel i5 3.20 GHz CPU it is certainly worth maintaining at this time as opposed to replacing. You don't strike me as a power user so it still has a lot of life in it.

It shouldn't be running all the time and may or may not be running when using programs. It depends on what the CPU is doing.

What makes you think you need a fan? Noise (describe if that is the case), errors that are releted to temperature, etc?

Have you ever opened the case and cleaned out the filter and fan area? You should likely have two fans, one that ventilates the case and one positioned over the CPU.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2017 22:02 |  #13

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18340395 (external link)
I completely disagree

I deal with HP, dells, lenovos almost on daily basis, and never seen one that was decently build with good components.

That's because you are dealing with HPs, Dells, and Lenovos. That's like judging a burger on McDonalds, Hardies, and Burger King and calling all hamburgers crap.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,818 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2017 11:48 |  #14

gjl711 wrote in post #18340583 (external link)
That's because you are dealing with HPs, Dells, and Lenovos. That's like judging a burger on McDonalds, Hardies, and Burger King and calling all hamburgers crap.

Perhaps you need to give examples of the PC vendors that are made of decent components.

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Nathan.

Apr 28, 2017 13:39 |  #15

No one builds an iMac, but they might put together a Mac build. Two go to sites: www.hackintosh.com (external link) and https://www.tonymacx86​.com/ (external link). Complete with buying guides.

Involves a lot of work and not without some obstacles.

Otherwise... if you have the funds, go for a genuine Mac Pro build. I'd love to have a $20,000 powerhouse with multiple redundancies and a 42 inch curved monitor. That's on my wish list.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

6,832 views & 19 likes for this thread
Buy or Build
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.