Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9 Announced

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,133 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 22, 2017 07:19 |  #106

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18334601 (external link)
Of course with a uwa, it is easy to manually focus, your dof is nearly everything you see in the frame. I am pretty sure discussions are around everyday walk-about lenses.

It's quite easy to MF large aperture lenses in the Sony, at least for me. In fact, for swimming, I do better with MF due to the fact the AF confusion when a swimmer is under water. With peaking fine tuned to your lens of choice, you can quickly MF without 10x magnification.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links
DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,927 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 22, 2017 07:26 |  #107

Wilt wrote in post #18334206 (external link)
How do you figure?

• 2380g 5D MkIV w/ 70-200 f/2.8
  • 2105g A7RII w/ 70-200 f/2.8

difference = 275g or 9.7oz

You're correct when comparing it against the 5Dmk4, but compare it to what it is meant to be competing against, the Nikon D5 and Canon 1D X.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 22, 2017 09:16 |  #108
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18332928 (external link)
But before people go investing tens of thousands of dollars in Sony glass, they need to know that they can trust Sony to keep the same mount configuration for years and years and years to come. . Nobody spending 20 or 30 grand on a collection of lenses is going to be satisfied using adaptors.

Yeah, what you said.

I lived through the Canon FD mount abondonement and it hurt...so it happens to the best of companies.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 22, 2017 09:23 |  #109
bannedPermanent ban

DaviSto wrote in post #18333394 (external link)
I think the generally accepted position is that -- for the same level of quality (basically FL and aperture) -- there is scarcely any difference between a traditional DSLR and a FF mirrorless set-up. If you are going for native glass, what you gain on the body you lose on the lens (potentially, time and time again). If you are using adapted lenses, you may save some bulk/weight but you are likely to lose out a little on performance.

Fair enough, if you want to put together a more cheerful walk-about kit using slower lenses, you can maybe gain a couple of hundred grams advantage and a few cubic inches ... but it is not going to be a lot for any like for like comparison.

If you really want to save weight and space, you have to go cropped. It's physics.

You are wrong. The Zeiss Batis line of lenses are compact, light and deliver excellent image quality. I also have a couple of Sony lenses, the 35 2.8 and 28 f2 which are tiny.

My travel kit weight wise has been reduced by about 40% compared to my previous Canon kit...so to say there is no weight advantage is totally BS.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 22, 2017 09:23 |  #110

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18334601 (external link)
Of course with a uwa, it is easy to manually focus, your dof is nearly everything you see in the frame. I am pretty sure discussions are around everyday walk-about lenses.

From what i read here the discussion was about lack of UWA on the e mount when there are a few to choose from that are both manual or AF

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 22, 2017 09:29 |  #111
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18333602 (external link)
Not a fad, but marketing propaganda. We all fall victims of that, to various degrees. In the case of Sony mirrorless, the smaller FL for less-than-FF allowed Sony to beat that drum in an effort to gain market share, along with the mirrorless drum. Olympus had the size advantage and mirrorless design, for years before Sony, but did not beat that drum as strongly. When Sony failed to win more share in the FF market after plateauing at 3 Million and is prevented from getting more share from Nikon/Canon, it lets consumers continue to beat the size/weight drum to differentiate from its FF competition.

Sony deserves the size/weight advantage distinction for the FF mirrorless body; but as the petapixel article showed, that same advantage apparently has failed to materialize when lens size and weight are considered. Yes the FF mirrorless body is smaller and lighter. But if the weight saving is ONLY in the body, and the body is 25% of the weight of a kit with lenses, then a 20% drop in body weight amounts to 5% in kit weight.

Wilt you speaking from experience here? My Sony travel kit is roughly 40% lighter than my Canon 5d2 travel kit with same lens range coverage...yet the Sony camera/lens combination produces much better quality images.

You can cherry pick lenses like the big heavy GM lenses to make your point, but if you really want to be truthful, you would look a bit deeper yourself into the full range of lenses and you would see for yourself that you can create a much lighter kit if you really want.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 22, 2017 09:30 |  #112
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18333608 (external link)
I think the point is that with Sony, you have access to smaller sized primes than with Canon, even if you kept the canon selection down to the sl1, the smallest Canon dslr. Or at least that seems to be what I glean from Sony owners.

Exactly right. The SL1 is also a crop camera.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 22, 2017 09:39 |  #113
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18334218 (external link)
For that matter, the E-mount FF camera has a shortage of WA lenses, too. 28mm f/2 is is the widest, apart from 16-35mm f/4. Got multiple 24mm-something zooms

Sony has an agreement with Zeiss. If you look at the Zeiss wide lenses you'll see they have lenses from 25mm down to 18mm...in native Sony mount.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 22, 2017 09:42 |  #114
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18334288 (external link)
Yes. But all those other (of 22) lenses in the link by bpaulette were manual focus; only the two Batis were AF. So the existence of any other WA alternatives would be of less interest to aging eyes.

The zoom focus on the viewfinder makes manual focus a breeze.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 22, 2017 09:44 |  #115
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #18334321 (external link)
Manual focus on Canon is not that difficult with LV and 10x and if your stacking just pick a spot and go in/out mm by mm until you get the DOF you want.

Sure if you want to hold you big DSLR with say you heavy 70-200 2.8 lens at arms length to try focusing using the back of the camera. Good luck with that.

alex66
247 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 22, 2017 10:36 |  #116

Hogloff wrote in post #18334665 (external link)
I lived through the Canon FD mount abondonement and it hurt...so it happens to the best of companies.

Yes that really wound me up at the time, when I was burgled and had to replace my Canons I went and bought a Contax and a few Zeiss primes. I loved the FD especially the AE1 and F1 and would have bought it again if it was not for the abandonment of the mount and as I recall it was with little to no notice.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,692 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 22, 2017 10:47 |  #117

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,968 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Apr 22, 2017 11:06 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #118

It's starting to seem like it isn't really a 20 FPS camera . . . at least not when you really need it to shoot at 20 FPS.

I thought this camera was specifically geared toward to action sports and wildlife/bird market segment, because they are the people needing super-fast frame rates and a super-huge buffer size. But these are also the people who shoot almost exclusively with AF tracking engaged. And these things I have been reading make it seem like it only shoots at 10 FPS when using AF tracking.

That is strange - if your subject isn't in rapid motion and you don't need AF tracking, then you don't need fast frame rates, either. So the only times you really need 20 FPS is exactly when it will not operate at 20 FPS . . . . is this really the case?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by rxjohn.

Apr 22, 2017 11:17 |  #119

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18334779 (external link)
It's starting to seem like it isn't really a 20 FPS camera . . . at least not when you really need it to shoot at 20 FPS.

I thought this camera was specifically geared toward to action sports and wildlife/bird market segment, because they are the people needing super-fast frame rates and a super-huge buffer size. But these are also the people who shoot almost exclusively with AF tracking engaged. And these things I have been reading make it seem like it only shoots at 10 FPS when using AF tracking.

That is strange - if your subject isn't in rapid motion and you don't need AF tracking, then you don't need fast frame rates, either. So the only times you really need 20 FPS is exactly when it will not operate at 20 FPS . . . . is this really the case?

10 fps refers to with an A-mount lens and an adapter. I don't believe that is the case with e-mount lenses... and as long as aperture is larger than f11, it will AF track.

And I don't imagine many will be shooting at f11 with high shutter speed.

Also, my understanding is RAW shoots at 12 fps.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scrumhalf.

Apr 22, 2017 11:38 |  #120

I'm don't think I'm about to jump into the Sony world anytime soon, but I was doing some thought experiments.

Right now, I shoot a 6D with a 24-70 II, 70-200II, 100/2.8L, etc. for family, portrait or landscape/scenic shots.

I am also a birder and I use a pair of 7D2s on a 100-400 II and a 500/4 II.

I can see incorporating the A7RII or A9 into the first group, either with the Canon lenses with an adapter, or go to a native Sony ecosystem. But for the birding application where focusing speed and performance is very important, I think that staying with the 7D2-based system would be the best.

Any thoughts?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links

36,151 views & 178 likes for this thread
Sony A9 Announced
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.