Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?

this thread is locked
idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by idkdc. (2 edits in all)

Apr 23, 2017 19:51 |  #286

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18336298 (external link)
Canon doesn't have the same fanfare that apple does.

Take a look at the size of their booth compared to Sony and Nikon at any tradeshow. Also take a look at the physical locations that Apple distributes their product through and after-purchase support.

Apple could sell anything and their customers would buy it blindly.

This says more about you than about Apple.

Kodak and Polaroid were conservative when digital came out... That worked in their favor greatly.

You're going to equate film vs. digital with SLR vs. Rangefinder vs. Mirrorless? Seriously? You do know that Sony's potential customers are DSLR owners, right? Alienating them doesn't do Sony any favors in the same way that vegans alienating carnivores doesn't help save the planet.

1DXII(2) | 5D4 | D850 | 8-800mm

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,983 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 23, 2017 20:07 |  #287

I should have made this call earlier today but,

This thread is DOOMED!

And possibly Wilt's wallet too!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by idkdc.

Apr 23, 2017 20:11 |  #288

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18336315 (external link)
This thread is DOOMED!

And possibly Wilt's wallet too!

Don't forget his marriage too! :D

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 23, 2017 20:34 |  #289
bannedBack in 3 months

idkdc wrote in post #18336308 (external link)
Take a look at the size of their booth compared to Sony and Nikon at any tradeshow. Also take a look at the physical locations that Apple distributes their product through and after-purchase support.

This says more about you than about Apple.

You're going to equate film vs. digital with SLR vs. Rangefinder vs. Mirrorless? Seriously? You do know that Sony's potential customers are DSLR owners, right? Alienating them doesn't do Sony any favors in the same way that vegans alienating carnivores doesn't help save the planet.

Actually from the review of the last big photo show on Luminance Landscape, the Sony booth had more traffic around it than the Canon booth. Yeh, Nikon was dead.

Seems to me like Sony is gaining a bunch of momentum as of late...the A9 will just continue that ball a rolling.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 23, 2017 20:57 |  #290
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #18336345 (external link)
Actually from the review of the last big photo show on Luminance Landscape, the Sony booth had more traffic around it than the Canon booth. Yeh, Nikon was dead.

Seems to me like Sony is gaining a bunch of momentum as of late...the A9 will just continue that ball a rolling.

they are still in denial stage.. give it time

Gear List

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 23, 2017 21:15 |  #291

Hogloff wrote in post #18336345 (external link)

I mean that makes sense if they have a new product announcement when Canon or Nikon don't. Let's watch that ball roll instead of calling the game prematurely.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 23, 2017 21:27 |  #292
bannedBack in 3 months

idkdc wrote in post #18336384 (external link)
I mean that makes sense if they have a new product announcement when Canon or Nikon don't. Let's watch that ball roll instead of calling the game prematurely.

Right, with the A9 and it's high resolution yet to be announced brother...I don't see it stopping.

I agree it's all about new exciting releases...where is Canon / Nikon with these.

Let me see, 5dmkv with an extra fps....

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 23, 2017 21:46 |  #293

Hogloff wrote in post #18336395 (external link)
Right, with the A9 and it's high resolution yet to be announced brother...I don't see it stopping.

I agree it's all about new exciting releases...where is Canon / Nikon with these.

Let me see, 5dmkv with an extra fps....

What exactly are you agreeing with? Leave your words out of my mouth, lol. The 5DIV sells just fine no matter what you think of it.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 23, 2017 21:54 |  #294
bannedBack in 3 months

idkdc wrote in post #18336408 (external link)
What exactly are you agreeing with? Leave your words out of my mouth, lol. The 5DIV sells just fine no matter what you think of it.

I'm just saying there has been no exciting releases from Canikon lately as they continue to do small incremental releases which are boring...thus loss of audiences at their booths in shows.

Contrast that with Sony which continues to have major technical advancements and it shows at their booths.

Sony is changing the photo world and will bring Canikon along screaming out of their comfort zones of slowly agonizingly upgrading their cameras.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 23, 2017 22:07 |  #295

Hogloff wrote in post #18336413 (external link)
I'm just saying there has been no exciting releases from Canikon lately as they continue to do small incremental releases which are boring...thus loss of audiences at their booths in shows.

Contrast that with Sony which continues to have major technical advancements and it shows at their booths.

Sony is changing the photo world and will bring Canikon along screaming out of their comfort zones of slowly agonizingly upgrading their cameras.

Which has nothing to do with what I said - you said "you agree." Agree with what?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,857 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Apr 23, 2017 22:09 |  #296

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18336190 (external link)
A9 IS DIRECT COMPETITION OF 1DXII AND D5 .
THAT MAKES IT $2000 CHEAPER THAN COMPETITION. YOUR MATH IS REALLY FLAWED.

That I cannot afford to buy a $4500 camera has no bearing on my inability to buy a $6000 camera.

Can you buy a $250000 exotic car any better than the $400000 one?!

Your logic is incredibly flawed while my math may be really flawed :lol:
Look please drop the attitude, so we can have adult conversations about the pros and cons and the pure speculations in a not-yet-released product!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,857 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 23, 2017 22:14 |  #297

Hogloff wrote in post #18336209 (external link)
Wilt, you could not have picked two lenses on the opposite spectrum from each other. The Sony 55 1.8 is one of the best 50ish lenses made and the plastic fantastic is just that...a POS.

But I could afford to buy the POS lens, while I cannot afford to buy a $1000 substitute. Look I don't know the whole Sony arsenal, and two guys on this thread talk about the 55mm f/1.8 and how good it is and not software-corrected. And so it was mentioned in my post. sheesh

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 23, 2017 22:22 |  #298
bannedBack in 3 months

idkdc wrote in post #18336425 (external link)
Which has nothing to do with what I said - you said "you agree." Agree with what?

I agree that Canikon has no exciting releases so why would people be excited around their booths.

Sony has been releasing exciting cameras lately and it shows at the excitement of their booth.

Now do you agree with this...Canon has not released anything to get excited about?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 23, 2017 22:24 |  #299
bannedBack in 3 months

Wilt wrote in post #18336439 (external link)
But I could afford to buy the POS lens, while I cannot afford to buy a $1000 substitute. Look I don't know the whole Sony arsenal, and two guys on this thread talk about the 55mm f/1.8 and how good it is and not software-corrected. And so it was mentioned in my post. sheesh

Then I suggest you educate yourself before complaining about things. If you really want a $150, they are available for every brand...

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by idkdc. (3 edits in all)

Apr 23, 2017 22:42 |  #300

Hogloff wrote in post #18336447 (external link)
I agree that Canikon has no exciting releases so why would people be excited around their booths.

Sony has been releasing exciting cameras lately and it shows at the excitement of their booth.

Now do you agree with this...Canon has not released anything to get excited about?

You're not agreeing with anything, you're just repeating what you believe in.

C300II, 1DXII, 35LII, 5DIV, 100-400mm f/3.5-f/6.3L IS II, 11-24mm f/4L, 16-35mm f/4L, 16-35mm f/2.8L III have all been solid releases.

sponsored links

109,812 views & 836 likes for this thread
Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.