Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2017 (Friday) 23:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7RII & Metabones IV Autofocus Not Working

heldGaze
539 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 06, 2017 23:26 |  #1

Something happened and I can no longer use AF on my camera and lenses. It used to work for both my Canon 11-24mm f/4 L and the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, connected to my Sony A7RII via the Metabones IV adapter. I have tried reseating the adapter and the lenses. Of course I've checked to make sure the AF switch is turned on, flipped it back and forth a few times. In my settings menu (page 3) for the camera when I click on Focus Mode it says "Invalid with this lens. If the lens has an AF/MF switch, perform the operation from the lens." I am using back-button focusing, where when you flip the AF-MF switch up the AEL button will can change between using AF and MF assist, and when it is switched down the button executes either AF or the MF assist.

I was able to use AF in the past on both lenses. I recently upgraded the Sony firmware, to version 3.20. I can't remember if the problem began before or after that upgrade however, as I do like to shoot in MF a bit, but these are expensive pieces of equipment and AF is nice to use when you want it.

Any thoughts on what I can do to resolve this issue? When I check the Sony firmware version it is reporting that the lens is version 47. But I don't know if that is for the lens or the adapter. I'm not certain how to check or upgrade the Metabones adapter's firmware, but I do know that the Metabones IV is firmware upgradable. So that is something I do want to look into, I just need to learn how to do it.

Has anyone else experienced a loss of AF functionality when upgrading the Sony A7RII to firmware v3.20?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
C&C Always Appreciated

sponsored links
heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 07, 2017 00:08 |  #2

FIXED!

Ok, after reading through the pages on the Metabones website, I learned that there are actually two modes this adapter can work in, and in my old version of the firmware, when the adapter is in the Advanced mode AF isn't working. I switched from Advanced to Green mode and AF is working as before. I must have accidentally made the switch to Advanced mode when I was doing some astrophotography, because the change requires powering on without a lens attached, but holding the button on the adapter and then attaching a lens and powering down before releasing that button. I think I may have done that either while switching lenses, or when putting a lens back on after shooting through my telescope using prime focus.

To be clear, the exact steps are:

1. With no lens attached, turn on camera body.
  2. While holding down the WO/CF button on the adapter, attach lens.
  3. Without ever releasing the WO/CF button, switch off the camera's power.

The WO/CF button is on the bottom left side of the adapter.

This page on the Metabones website describes the differences between the modes and how to change between them, either temporarily or permanently: Green Power Save Mode (external link)

I am in fact using v0.47 of the Metabones IV Smart Adapter firmware. I really need to upgrade as there have been numerous updates since (v0.54 released last month) including some important features added, such as: "Native" autofocus features including DMF, Eye-AF and fast CDAF on all E-mount cameras (see Press Release for details).

Firmware download and change history are available here (external link)

Can and admin modify the title of the thread and put a "SOLVED" or "FIXED" at the end? This might help someone else in the future.

C&C Always Appreciated

PKmode
477 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2017 05:55 as a reply to  @ heldGaze's post |  #3

Thanks for this. While I just got an A7RII, I have seen many people post this problem in reviews but no one had a fix/reason. Had me concerned and I was thinking of not bothering with the MB4. Good to know.

Becoming a gear junkie.:rolleyes:

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 20, 2017 20:57 |  #4

PKmode wrote in post #18330977 (external link)
Thanks for this. While I just got an A7RII, I have seen many people post this problem in reviews but no one had a fix/reason. Had me concerned and I was thinking of not bothering with the MB4. Good to know.

Right on, I'm glad it helped. That's the whole reason I took the time to write it up the solution. Feel free to copy/paste/share with whomever needs to know. I just wish I could personally edit the title of the thread to put Fixed in there.

I'm also glad you replied. These steps are something that I may forget when I need it. I had intended to print them out on a little sheet and leave them in my camera bag but hadn't done that yet. You've reminded me and now I've got these steps on a little cheat sheet for when I'm in the field and can't remember the exact steps to get back into the right mode.

C&C Always Appreciated

Arutemu
Goldmember
2,802 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 29, 2017 18:41 |  #5

OMG, thank you so much, OP!

This totally fixed my Metabones IV! A week ago I dropped my photo bag with the adapter in it and the lens attached. The adapter was at the bottom. Everything else was fine after testing, but the Metabones lost AF after the drop. I was inconsolable and was about to send it to Hong Kong for repairs, when I saw this thread. Followed the steps and - bingo! Problem solved!

I don't know which mode I am in now , but I don't care. It is working now :-D

Thank you!

住めば/external linkFlickrexternal link
GEAR / FEEDBACK

PKmode
477 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 01, 2017 16:05 |  #6

Can either of you guys confirm if it works with Eye AF on any non-native E mount glass? Also, either of you use any Sigma Art lenses? Curious how AF works.

Becoming a gear junkie.:rolleyes:

bpaulette
635 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 01, 2017 17:06 |  #7

PKmode wrote in post #18343780 (external link)
Can either of you guys confirm if it works with Eye AF on any non-native E mount glass? Also, either of you use any Sigma Art lenses? Curious how AF works.

Eye-AF does not work on Metabones with adapted glass.

I've heard that Eye-AF does work on the Sigma MC-11 adapter with supported Sigma lenses, but I believe only in AF-S (? someone correct me if I'm wrong)

- BP -
---------------
Sony A7R II | Sonnar FE 55 | Zeiss Batis 85 | FE 90 Macro G | Metabones IV
24L II | 85L II | 135L | 24-105L | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 40-Shorty | Bower 14mm | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 03, 2017 00:37 |  #8

PKmode wrote in post #18343780 (external link)

bpaulette wrote in post #18343832 (external link)
Eye-AF does not work on Metabones with adapted glass.

I've heard that Eye-AF does work on the Sigma MC-11 adapter with supported Sigma lenses, but I believe only in AF-S (? someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Having not tested it myself I cannot say from experience, but I recall something to the effect from my reading long ago that EyeAF did not work at the time, but that they were trying to make it work. So maybe the newest FM does have it, or maybe it's coming, I can't say for sure though.

C&C Always Appreciated

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 03, 2017 00:40 |  #9

Arutemu wrote in post #18342162 (external link)
OMG, thank you so much, OP!

This totally fixed my Metabones IV! A week ago I dropped my photo bag with the adapter in it and the lens attached. The adapter was at the bottom. Everything else was fine after testing, but the Metabones lost AF after the drop. I was inconsolable and was about to send it to Hong Kong for repairs, when I saw this thread. Followed the steps and - bingo! Problem solved!

I don't know which mode I am in now , but I don't care. It is working now :-D

Thank you!

I was in the same boat, like OMG did I really just spend all this money and lose AF? Did I do something wrong and break it? After a bit of research though I figured out the problem, and I'm really happy that I shared my research it and it is helping others out.

C&C Always Appreciated

sponsored links

8,033 views & 2 likes for this thread
Sony A7RII & Metabones IV Autofocus Not Working
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.