Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Apr 2017 (Friday) 18:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

That Expensive Green Box

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,767 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 02, 2017 16:04 as a reply to  @ post 18344584 |  #106

I love that idea.....but I think a problem is that for many of us, our cameras don't have those green box modes or program modes.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,666 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined May 2008

May 02, 2017 16:06 |  #107

Seriously, there are better things to do in life than worry about green-boxers.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,556 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2010

May 02, 2017 16:15 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #108

Most all of the Canons have the A+ (green auto)

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,269 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 02, 2017 17:49 |  #109

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18344657 (external link)
I love that idea.....but I think a problem is that for many of us, our cameras don't have those green box modes or program modes.

That is okay, those with 1D series won't have to participate. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

May 02, 2017 18:17 |  #110

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18344584 (external link)
So I see a new thread forming...Take a shot of a scene in green box - Take control of the shot and shoot in Av, Tv or even manual and see if you can get a better more creative result.....

Good idea. Start the thread - it will probably run for years and bring out all the techies, pixel peepers and neo-luddites!;-)a

I have only tried auto mode on my various cameras out of curiosity but some cameras are getting very smart indeed. For example, my Lumix FX1000 in "Intelligent Auto", under SOME conditions where I rarely shoot (handheld night shots and panoramas) instantly produced better photos than I could do without practice, a tripod and a great deal of work using tools like LR and Panavue.

icopus
THREAD ­ STARTER
v--- finally good for somethin'! 
2,634 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by icopus. (2 edits in all)

May 02, 2017 21:38 |  #111

Mr_ipsum wrote in post #18344503 (external link)
At least to me the OP seems to imply such by some of his posts on the first page.

What I'm implying, no saying, but apparently failing to do it well, is just the opposite. That one cannot assume that one is a clueless amateur for using it. AND, that person, who is assuming, by the nature of that assumption, may be, egotistical. Or, at the very least, the assumption seems egotistical.

Oh, I quit. Great idea on the new thread! Now on with your regularly scheduled programs.

It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

pbrimages
353 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 02, 2017 21:43 |  #112

icopus wrote in post #18344885 (external link)
What I'm implying, no saying, but apparently failing to do it well, is just the opposite. That one cannot assume that one is a clueless amateur for using it. AND, that person who is assuming, by that assumption, is, by it's nature, egotistical.

IMAGE: https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/56675991/ye-old-englishman-game-set-and-match.jpg

:-P

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

icopus
THREAD ­ STARTER
v--- finally good for somethin'! 
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2017 21:47 |  #113

I'm tired of my own thread.:cry:

It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

pbrimages
353 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 02, 2017 21:49 |  #114

icopus wrote in post #18344888 (external link)
I'm tired of my own thread.:cry:

Lol, you have now graduated from Beating Your Head Into A Wall - 101 ;-)a

Ready for some post-grad work?

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,391 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 02, 2017 22:33 |  #115

So I see a new thread foaming...

I corrected spelling for you. :-P

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sjones
Goldmember
2,217 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 02, 2017 22:57 |  #116

Creativity manifest from the mind, and the extent to which one requires gadgets and doohickeys to achieve their expected or needed results is personal.

That is, I already know that someone can produce excellent photos operating within the confines of the scandalous ‘green box.’ POTN is going to prove nothing different; it will only prove that different people will find different approaches better suited to their needs, while viewers will argue over which photo was the best, proving the inconclusive power of subjectivity.

And if someone doesn’t need anything else to facilitate their creative objectives, then it’s a mute point to argue that greater flexibility is mandatory.

On the other hand, if others need more control or more sophisticated levels of automation, then that’s why choice is great. My camera doesn’t allow for much choice given its six decade old design, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything else.

Moreover, simply jacking open the aperture or throttling down the shutter speed to make things blurry in a particular way is not an exercise in creativity itself; and no, it doesn’t even mean that it helps, at least not for ALL people.

That North Carolina guy might have slapped up an obnoxious post, but he’s right in that: “shoot however you want - produce whatever makes you happy.” Well, unless you’re a commercial photographer, then you’ve got additional folks to make happy.

To be sure, I actually agree that if someone wants to advance in their photography, they might want to consider what’s lurking behind the green box. And when I say advance, at least in regards to hobbyists, I say it based on the photographer’s personal expectations rather than on the comparative demands of our Darwinistic hyper-competitive society. Maybe they’ll learn that the green box or P mode or whatever is all that they need. Would a DSLR be overkill then? Maybe, but maybe they like the lens selection or the ergonomics or the optical viewfinder or the full frame option or...

And I also get that, as much as we ingratiatingly say spend your money however one pleases, it can still be annoying to witness the wealthy flaunt items without fully appreciating them, let alone knowing how to use such items.

Then again, these issues do not specifically address the OP’s point; he wasn’t arguing against learning about a camera’s capabilities or defending plutocratic excess…he was simply reprimanding certain condescending attitudes towards green box usage because such attitudes are a) condescending and b) could be based on misguided presumptions…at least, that’s my presumption.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

pbrimages
353 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 02, 2017 23:07 |  #117

Archibald wrote in post #18344659 (external link)
Seriously, there are better things to do in life than worry about green-boxers.

Exactly! Take my tighty whities, for example...

Wait, what?

:eek:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,269 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 02, 2017 23:16 as a reply to  @ sjones's post |  #118

So without the cliff notes version of what you posted, it seems fair to say that you agree with all the previous replies then?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

aezoss
432 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by aezoss.

May 03, 2017 00:04 |  #119

So I see a new thread forming...

- Take a shot of a scene in green box
- Take control of the shot and shoot in Av, Tv or even manual and see if you can get a better more creative result, but must have the same focal length and perspective otherwise the comparison is moot.

Post EXIF for both, and describe what you like more in the less automated image. :D

Although you may be saying this in jest, I'm curious to see how this plays out if anyone's interested in sharing.

New thread
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1480335

Lee

Mr_ipsum
320 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

May 03, 2017 11:33 |  #120

sjones wrote in post #18344928 (external link)
Then again, these issues do not specifically address the OP’s point; he wasn’t arguing against learning about a camera’s capabilities or defending plutocratic excess…he was simply reprimanding certain condescending attitudes towards green box usage because such attitudes are a) condescending and b) could be based on misguided presumptions…at least, that’s my presumption.

True, but do you think some of those condescending attitudes are a result of some green boxers here implying that using the green box is just has intuitive as using manual or the other modes. In effect I hear, "It's not necessary to know how to shoot in manual mode, I can get great results on Auto and my friends think I take great pictures. So I'm just as knowledgeable about photography as you are. Besides I don't want to be a professional photographer and take fancy photographs, but I'm still just as good as you."

Just my thoughts.

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

17,483 views & 170 likes for this thread
That Expensive Green Box
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.