Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,068 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 02, 2017 17:21 |  #32656

Well crap. I need to sell my MC 11...didn't know they slashed the price.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links
rantercsr
Goldmember
2,889 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by rantercsr.

May 02, 2017 17:45 |  #32657

from my research ,, It works with canon lenses ,, but kinda .. sorta, maybe type thing depends on specific lenses.. but supposedly work very well in photo mode with sigma lenses ..
yeah I just ordered one too

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,536 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 02, 2017 17:45 |  #32658

David Arbogast wrote in post #18344730 (external link)
Well crap. I need to sell my MC 11...didn't know they slashed the price.

It might be temporary, who knows. Sony did the same with laea3 last year or so, then the price went back to normal.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,889 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 02, 2017 17:49 |  #32659

also appears to be a few sigma items on sale...

tempted to get a sigma lens..

but I just ordered a couple of sony lenses...-?

I need to play the lottery more often

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,736 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

May 02, 2017 18:09 |  #32660

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18344515 (external link)
One of the main reasons, besides bounced flash, that most wedding photogs have hot-shoe mounted flashes, is for help with focus acquisition in dark places. Even with my goto in the dark setup (1DXii with a 35Lii) I will have a hotshoe mounted Canon 600EX-rt, in Master Mode, with the flash in the bounced position and the flash turned OFF from firing (if desired) so that I can get superior and faster and basically bullet proof in the dark focus confirmation with the infrared focus assist beam from the flash. It is not a light setup, in fact it couldn't be heavier, but it will never not acquire focus quickly.

My kit, boiled down to its basics, is the following:

1) two cameras
2) two hotshoe mounted flashes all the time (just because I setup my straps and utility belt to make it work so no needed changes are required)
3) two belt hook clipped on battery packs for these flashes
4) a spare flash on my belt
5) 24-70 F2.8 is the work horse on the main camera
6) depending on the location, my Canon 70-200 F2.8 or Tamron 85 1.8 VC is the lens on the 2nd camera most of the time
7) 35 1.4 is my goto dark indoor setup on the main camera (usually shot at F1.6 or F2 for DoF control)
8) when the 35 goes on the main camera, I put the 24-70 on the backup

I sort of have it as my main rule and practice, to never take the 24-70 off the main camera so that I always have the ability to capture anything that may happen (all those extra shots that you just take of all the other stuff can be taken with that camera). I will also setup this camera with three different Program modes that I use (C1 = no flash Auto ISO with EC being the way I adjust ISO, C2 = no flash with NO Auto ISO and ISO being changed directly, C3 = Flash Setup with the ability to change ISO to bypass the Camera's ISO 400 default (this is important)).

In many ways, a wedding photog is like a field surgeon - you just have to get the job done. With that as the mindset for the 80% of the time, (i.e. main camera 24-70), you need to also remember to deliberately search out the other 20% - to try and add something special (but don't get 100% caught up on this and blow the 80% and screw up the timing of everything - weddings have a time schedule that needs to be kept but are often not exactly on schedule) - and that is why having that 2nd camera, with different lens mounted, and then another goto lens, on hand for quick access, is the key to the 20% - sometimes that is the 35F1.4, sometimes it is the 100 macro, sometimes it is the 85 shoot at 1.4, sometimes it is the 70-200 at 200mm, and cropped, of people watching the wedding, etc).

You should be able to completely screw up the 20%, and while it won't be your best day, the job will get done professionally with good execution on the 80%.

My other piece of advice is to have a contingency plan. Lets say the day of the wedding someone steals your gear, your car breaks down, you have a family emergency, etc - what will you do? Do you have a friend you can call in the case of an emergency - it is better to have thought about this, it may not work out, but at least you will have some kind of plan. For my own wedding, I had the backup plan of setting up my Sony A7Rii (in silent mode) with a Metabones IV with a Canon 24-70 F2.8 II set at Auto ISO, SS 1/125, F3.2 (i.e. point and shoot) and I have a great brother-in-law who likes to do stuff and is crazy personable, and I informed both him and the paid photog that he would never be in the main photog's way (ever) but he had this camera all day, with 2 batteries, and took 1500 pictures - and he did a great job - as a backup to disaster, I had coverage of my own wedding - and you know what, the main photog showed up 1hr late because he had car problems - and the bride was not happy - but, in that hour, my brother-in-law was out taking lots of family guest pictures and they turned out great (and this was the types of photos that the paid photog didn't have enough of to make that 20% other stuff his best effort - but of course he nailed the 80% so when added together I was happy.

Thanks for sharing your setup bro. I've already shot a quite number of weddings. But hey we cannot stop learning. thanks again.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,735 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 02, 2017 18:49 |  #32661

TRhoads wrote in post #18344697 (external link)
I found myself looking at Canon 100-400s today...

I may have to sell you mine. I'm debating getting the Sony 100-400 but mostly so that the Sony extenders can be used. I have both Canon 1.4x and 2x extenders and although the "naked" Canon lens AF's fine, it doesn't work well with either extender.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,279 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2017 19:14 |  #32662

^ Gene, I meant to comment on your dad's grill. You did a great job with the restoration. I bet the steak tasted great too.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,735 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 02, 2017 23:19 |  #32663

digital_AM wrote in post #18344807 (external link)
^ Gene, I meant to comment on your dad's grill. You did a great job with the restoration. I bet the steak tasted great too.

Thanks, Alfredo. It got a bit too windy yesterday afternoon so I 'christened ' the new grates today. The steak did seem to taste especially good too. ;-)a

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,736 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by vinmunoz. (2 edits in all)

May 03, 2017 04:20 |  #32664

That's it I'm a TTL guy now. I can't believe how stupid I am. Been practicing TTL to prepare myself for a wedding.

Here's a couple of TTL shots I tested yesterday. Both FEC -1 Both Auto ISO. Both Direct Flash.

The first was shot at 2.6 feet away and the second was at 16feet

The speedlight magically adjust exposure. no more blown out shots i get when i use manual mode in speedlight. With my gary fong collapsable lightsphere diffuser maybe i will keep the FEC at 0. and look the camera went ISO200 only.

P.S.: I love that Gemini PA Speaker, it's 2000Watts and bluetooth capable. it has mic output and has separate volume knobs. I do karaoke using my iphone and youtube. haha And I got that for only $179 from guitarcenter. It sounds good.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

May 03, 2017 05:27 |  #32665

vinmunoz wrote in post #18345045 (external link)
That's it I'm a TTL guy now. I can't believe how stupid I am. Been practicing TTL to prepare myself for a wedding.

Here's a couple of TTL shots I tested yesterday. Both FEC -1 Both Auto ISO. Both Direct Flash.

The first was shot at 2.6 feet away and the second was at 16feet

The speedlight magically adjust exposure. no more blown out shots i get when i use manual mode in speedlight. With my gary fong collapsable lightsphere diffuser maybe i will keep the FEC at 0. and look the camera went ISO200 only.

P.S.: I love that Gemini PA Speaker, it's 2000Watts and bluetooth capable. it has mic output and has separate volume knobs. I do karaoke using my iphone and youtube. haha And I got that for only $179 from guitarcenter. It sounds good.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by vinmunoz in
./showthread.php?p=183​45045&i=i115366034
forum: Sony Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by vinmunoz in
./showthread.php?p=183​45045&i=i37165987
forum: Sony Cameras

Yes TTL is god-send, and the Sony version, while kind of on the overexposed side, seems more consistent than Canon where if you take 3 shots of the same thing, you get 3 different flash exposures.

The only time I don't use TTL is when I use multiple lights as it doesn't really get the ratios right.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,621 posts
Gallery: 365 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2017 06:26 |  #32666

Another from Bowling Ball Beach. Patience paid off, waiting for just the right swirls to work through the boulders.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2815/33615090353_4340547182_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Tds8​ek  (external link) Bowling Ball Beach Studies-No2 (external link) by Travis Rhoads (external link), on Flickr

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,621 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2017 06:26 |  #32667

And last night at our photo club meeting, we were learning about strobes and OCF...we had a simple still life of flowers setup and this was just a snapshot to start with, but when cropped so heavily that it was less than 1/4 of the original width of the RAW file..I really liked it.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 03, 2017 08:41 |  #32668
bannedPermanent ban

Worldwide Production of Mirrorless Cameras - Year Over Year (YOY) is up 44.1%
Worldwide Production of DSLR Cameras - YOY is down 4.7%

Looking at shipments...
Worldwide Shipment of Mirrorless Cameras - YOY is up 45%
Worldwide Shipment of DSLR Cameras - YOY is down 8.3%

Breaking down shipments by region...

Shipment of Mirrorless to Japan - YOY is up 36%
Shipment of DSLR to Japan - YOY is down 9.3%
Shipment of Mirrorless to Europe - YOY is up 44.9%
Shipment of DSLR to Europe - YOY is down 15.8%
Shipment of Mirrorless to Americas - YOY is up 78.1%
Shipment of DSLR to Americas - YOY is down 11.7%
Shipment of Mirrorless to Asia - YOY is up 39.1%
Shipment of DSLR to Asia - YOY is down .9%

Again, worldwide shipments of Mirrorless are up 45%. The ONLY region with shipment growth above the worldwide average is the Americas which has increased 78.1%. Total interchangeable lens camera shipments to the Americas = 535,114
Total DSLR shipments to the Americas = 409,823 which means DSLR represent 76.6% of the market
Total mirrorless shipments to the Americas = 125,291 which means mirrorless represent 23.4% of the market.

Worldwide, mirrorless accounts for 36.4% of all shipments however in the US, it's only 23.4% of the market. But again (as I've illustrated above), the MOST growth, YOY, is coming from the Americas which means that, compared with last year, the growth in the "Americas" market for mirrorless is driving mirrorless adoption worldwide - at least compared to the average adoption rate across the planet.

*note - shipments to "other areas" show a larger percent increase YOY for both DSLR and mirrorless, but the volume is so low that it only represents 2% of the entire ILC market.

http://www.cipa.jp …ocuments/e/d-201703_e.pdf (external link)

Gear List

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

May 03, 2017 10:06 |  #32669

TRhoads wrote in post #18345094 (external link)
Another from Bowling Ball Beach. Patience paid off, waiting for just the right swirls to work through the boulders.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Tds8​ek  (external link) Bowling Ball Beach Studies-No2 (external link) by Travis Rhoads (external link), on Flickr

The composition and the tones are spot on travis. Fantastic job!

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,621 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2017 10:09 |  #32670

davidfarina wrote in post #18345241 (external link)
The composition and the tones are spot on travis. Fantastic job!

Thanks! I spent a good bit of time working on the tones...I went between high contrast, to low contrast and settled somewhere in between.

sponsored links

3,774,924 views & 33,336 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.