Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 17 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 12:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 21, 2017 09:36 |  #796

TooManyShots wrote in post #18316817 (external link)
I have been eyeing this lens for some time and I read about the focus issues when shooting wide open at the wider end...with the shooting distance more than 1 meter. Can the dock really be able to fix it? I am currently using the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS on my D7000. I want a standard zoom with better built and sharper corners. The Sigma 17-50 also exhibits the same focusing issues....back focusing shooting at wide open at the wider end when the shooting distance is beyond 1 meter. Once you zoom in to 30mm+, you get sharp focus at f2.8, at all shooting distance.

I would not want to waste money on the Sigam 18-35 if I can't reliably get sharp focus at f1.8 under 18mm at all shooting distance...because my Sigma 17-50 can do better.

I upgraded from the 17-50 also. It's still my backup lens but the 18-35 is in a whole other league! MUCH better than the 17-50 in pretty much every way. Get the dock and calibrate it and it focuses faster, is sharper all around, faster, and quieter.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

sponsored links
jmooberry
83 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by jmooberry. (2 edits in all)

May 05, 2017 11:17 |  #797

Aressem wrote in post #18318599 (external link)
Mine has been a paper weight for about 2 years, sadly. When it nails a shot though, god damn is it amazing. I tried the dock multiple times, using multiple methods and just gave up. I called Sigma and they told me I can send it off to a shop in Ontario (I'm in BC) to have it adjusted - I just haven't got around to it yet. :( I really need to get on it.

Here's one of my favourite shots with the lens though, before I realized it was so out of calibration (got lucky in servo mode with this one).

MMA Photo (external link)

Just a FYI on lens calibration by Sigma (and sorry if posted earlier)

I purchased the 18-35 and 50-100 in the last two months. Outstanding image quality....when the focus was nailed. I kept thinking it was probably user error since there's no stabilization, but began to see on some shots the focus was there, just not where I focused in my view finder. It appeared there might be some back focusing. I'm new to this lens adjustment stuff so I started reading. I bought the dock but didn't have the confidence I could do the job well. So I finally contacted the Sigma service shop in Michigan and inquired about them adjusting my lenses. The following is part of our email exchange. For $30.00 plus shipping I think this is the way to go, cheaper than buying the dock and still not sure I'm doing the job right.

I'm sending the lenses to them next week and will report back.

---------------
If the lenses need calibration that would be cover under warranty as long as you purchased them from an authorized Sigma dealer.  If you want them micro adjusted to your body that would be $15.00 each + return shipping.

If the lenses need calibration that would be about 3 weeks, if just micro adjusted to the body 1 week.

Midwest

If just back/front focusing that is adjusted electronically without taking the lens apart, if off side to side or top to bottom, or nothing sharp the alignment is off and the lens must be taken apart to calibrate.  Yes, we just need a copy of the warranty card and invoices. 

The micro adjust is to fine turn the front/back focusing to the body.

Midwest

We don’t use the dock to do the adjustment, the adjustment system that the authorized service centers have the lens can be set much closer.  If you put it on your dock after adjustment you will not see any corrections as they are kept in a different location in the lens memory when using our system.  

Midwest

Jim
Gripped 60D | 10-22 3.5-4.5 | 17-55 2,8 | 55-250 4.5-5.6 | Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART | Sigma 50-100 1.8 ART |

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

May 10, 2017 08:26 |  #798

jmooberry wrote in post #18347059 (external link)
Just a FYI on lens calibration by Sigma (and sorry if posted earlier)

I purchased the 18-35 and 50-100 in the last two months. Outstanding image quality....when the focus was nailed. I kept thinking it was probably user error since there's no stabilization, but began to see on some shots the focus was there, just not where I focused in my view finder. It appeared there might be some back focusing. I'm new to this lens adjustment stuff so I started reading. I bought the dock but didn't have the confidence I could do the job well. So I finally contacted the Sigma service shop in Michigan and inquired about them adjusting my lenses. The following is part of our email exchange. For $30.00 plus shipping I think this is the way to go, cheaper than buying the dock and still not sure I'm doing the job right.

I'm sending the lenses to them next week and will report back.

---------------
If the lenses need calibration that would be cover under warranty as long as you purchased them from an authorized Sigma dealer.  If you want them micro adjusted to your body that would be $15.00 each + return shipping.

If the lenses need calibration that would be about 3 weeks, if just micro adjusted to the body 1 week.

Midwest

If just back/front focusing that is adjusted electronically without taking the lens apart, if off side to side or top to bottom, or nothing sharp the alignment is off and the lens must be taken apart to calibrate.  Yes, we just need a copy of the warranty card and invoices. 

The micro adjust is to fine turn the front/back focusing to the body.

Midwest

We don’t use the dock to do the adjustment, the adjustment system that the authorized service centers have the lens can be set much closer.  If you put it on your dock after adjustment you will not see any corrections as they are kept in a different location in the lens memory when using our system.  

Midwest

Thanks for sharing Jim!

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

jmooberry
83 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by jmooberry. (4 edits in all)

May 12, 2017 09:49 as a reply to  @ Aressem's post |  #799

I emailed Midwest Camera Repair to see how soon the micro-adjustment would be done. I received a call from someone there and was told my lenses needed repair before they could do the micro. I was a little surprised because I hadn't noticed any of what they described as needing re-calibration with my lenses: "if off side to side or top to bottom, or nothing sharp the alignment is off and the lens must be taken apart to calibrate". The only thing I noticed was misplaced focus at times (front/back focus).

So I emailed for an explanation. The answer I received was that it was front/back focusing. I hope this is not how they make money on "repairs" that Sigma pays for under the warranty. For the money I spent on the two lenses, I want them to be accurate and perfectly adjusted. I assume that is what I will get when I get them back but now I will have to wait for 3 week to get it all back.

Anyone have a similar story to tell about Sigma authorized repair shops?

Jim
Gripped 60D | 10-22 3.5-4.5 | 17-55 2,8 | 55-250 4.5-5.6 | Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART | Sigma 50-100 1.8 ART |

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,122 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

May 12, 2017 12:21 |  #800

jmooberry wrote in post #18352780 (external link)
Anyone have a similar story to tell about Sigma authorized repair shops?

I send my Sigma lenses to Sigma..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

jmooberry
83 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 12, 2017 15:58 as a reply to  @ Bobster's post |  #801

Do you do this routinely? Do you do it for micro-adjustments or calibration or both? Do you have Sigma evaluate a lens and then do what is necessary or did you already know of a problem?

Lot of questions, I know, but this whole thing has me a little perplexed because I want the lenses to be pitch perfect when finished. I could have Midwest return everything and send it to Sigma but I figured they should know what they're doing.

Thank you for any insight you can supply.

Jim

Jim

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,122 posts
Joined May 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bobster. (3 edits in all)

May 14, 2017 09:37 |  #802

Only when they break..

My 18-35 took a tumble in a thunderstorm and nearly snapped in half - Sigma had to send the lens back to Japan for that!

The back element on my Sigmalux fell out, and they fixed it for free..

My 10-20 wasn't aligned and they serviced that for me.

My 70-200's take a lot of abuse and I send it to Sigma to service/fix about once a year (usually a 2 week or less turn around)

Calibration wise, I use FoCal (external link)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

jmooberry
83 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 14, 2017 15:15 |  #803

Bobster wrote in post #18354363 (external link)
Only when they break..

My 18-35 took a tumble in a thunderstorm and nearly snapped in half - Sigma had to send the lens back to Japan for that!

The back element on my Sigmalux fell out, and they fixed it for free..

My 10-20 wasn't aligned and they serviced that for me.

My 70-200's take a lot of abuse and I send it to Sigma to service/fix about once a year (usually a 2 week or less turn around)

Calibration wise, I use FoCal (external link)

Thanks Bob, I can tell from your excellent work that you do give these lenses a workout :) You're gifted.

Jim

jmooberry
83 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by jmooberry.

May 20, 2017 11:23 |  #804

Silk Flower:

IMAGE: http://i67.tinypic.com/90douq.jpg

Jim

jmooberry
83 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 05, 2017 18:27 |  #805

Received my lenses back from Sigma shop and am quite pleased. I never questioned the sharpness of the two lenses and now they consistently focus at the point I intend them to.

I'm still not sure I understand the categories of work the shop does on these lenses. The final work was "electronic adjustment of lenses". It was covered under warranty so no charge. I was under the impression that this adjustment would cost me $15 each but apparently that is for "micro adjustment" of camera to the lens and my 60D doesn't have that ability. At any rate I'm pleased with the work and the lenses are operating wonderfully.

Jim

Jim

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 06, 2017 02:15 |  #806

Big Brother has arrived!

IMAGE: http://www.newsshooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Sigma_50-100-1-600x447.jpg

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 07, 2017 05:21 |  #807

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

moJoePDX
276 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 14, 2017 18:57 |  #808

Hey guys!! Meeting a guy from craigslist this week to possibly buy this lens. Kind of a father's day/college graduation gift to myself. Do you guys have any recommendations for checking to see if the lens has focus issues besides the obvious "point and shoot" plan? I was thinking of bringing a water bottle or something and taking pictures of it at the closest, mid, and furthest focal length as well as shooting at a few different apertures that I frequently use on my current lenses such as 1.8, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, and 8.0.

The guy is asking $600, which I think is a fair price for a used copy. I know there's a guy selling one on here with the dock for $595 but I'm not able to check it out in person so I'm a little hesitant.

Thanks!

|| Canon 70D || Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 || Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L || Canon Speedlite 430 EX II ||

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,122 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 15, 2017 05:54 as a reply to  @ moJoePDX's post |  #809

I'd just make sure everything is smooth in working - zoom, focus etc. any focus issues can be delt with..

moJoePDX
276 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 15, 2017 21:59 as a reply to  @ Bobster's post |  #810

True! Everything seems fine. Just picked it up. Thanks!

|| Canon 70D || Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 || Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L || Canon Speedlite 430 EX II ||

sponsored links

457,050 views & 364 likes for this thread
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.