Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 06 May 2017 (Saturday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Amamba (showing now: Amamba)
Overall Rating7.5
Overall Image Quality8
Value for Money9.5
Bokeh10
Sharpness8
Contrast7
Focusing7
Must Have7
Suitability to Intended Use8.5
Got What I Expected7
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Minolta AF 70-210/4

Minolta AF 70-210/4, reviewed by Amamba

Amamba
Goldmember
3,675 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Amamba.

May 06, 2017 16:21 |  #1

This is a 30+ year old lens, so most of the negatives would be common for all of the lenses from that era. And to get the negatives out of the way: it's large, heavy (for a mirrorless user, anyway), unstabilized, with a screwdrive motor that is somewhat noisy and not fast (not slow either, though). Some CA, some loss of contrast in some lighting situations (again, typical for a lens released in 1985, and easy to fix in post.) It's sharp, but not super sharp. Out of all these cons, the only two that really impact how I use the lens are weight / size and the lack of stabilization.

Now the pros. The lens is known for it's beautiful creamy bokeh, and wonderful colors, which were the two primary reasons I bought it. It did not disappoint. I use this lens for portraits, and it's been good enough that I didn't buy a 85mm prime. Also, constant f4 is a plus.

I would not recommend the Beercan as a general purpose tele, unless you have a body with IBIS and don't mind carrying a DSLR size lens around. But as a portrait lens, it shines.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,275 views & 0 likes for this thread
Minolta AF 70-210/4, reviewed by Amamba
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.