Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Apr 2017 (Saturday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Now what do I do?

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 05, 2017 21:41 |  #46

ejenner wrote in post #18347475 (external link)
Start shooting film. You could go old-school FD, lenses are cheap, or something that you can use your EF lenses with.

It's pretty interesting IMO and I get results that even if I could make look like that with digital, I never would.

I'm somewhat in the same boat. My wife wanted to get me something for our 20th wedding anniversary. There was/is nothing I wanted. Even thought of a 5DIV, but honestly the 5DIII is really 'good enough'.

I hadn't considered film. I grew up on that medium. A possibility, certainly.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,801 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 06, 2017 09:38 |  #47

Archibald wrote in post #18346322 (external link)
Photography is about taking pictures. Acquiring gear is wonderful, but where are the pictures? Go out and take pictures! Forget about new gear for a while, spend a week taking pictures.

And don't forget to post a few of your best shots here.

This is a great point, Archie.......a point that, oddly, some people do not seem to understand.

If the money you have is in a dedicated photography fund, and you are feeling an urge to spend it rather than save it, then why not get several nice large prints of your finest photos?

At a place like AdoramaPix, where the prices are very reasonable, you could get several decent sized metal or canvas prints made. They run "25% off site wide" specials with regularity. With 25% off of their already low print prices, you could get 5 nice 24" by 36" metal prints, or 5 40" by 27" canvas prints, for the $750+- that you have in the fund. That's a lot of value for the money.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 06, 2017 10:29 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #48

Good idea, but check out my title.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,713 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Joined May 2008

May 06, 2017 10:38 |  #49

Bassat wrote in post #18347766 (external link)

Sir Tom?

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,145 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

May 06, 2017 11:19 |  #50

Bassat wrote in post #18341868 (external link)
Is it possible I've reached the end of the G.A.S. road? I have money to spend. I could even add a few $$$, for the right item. I just can't find anything I want. What is wrong with me? :)

Call the undertaker and order the coffin. You're going to need it!:-P

Mark

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,801 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 06, 2017 11:35 |  #51

Bassat wrote in post #18347766 (external link)

Ok, I think I get that........but that leads me to wonder; if your photographic goals are not to create "wall-hangers", then what are they?

I mean, what is it that you are trying to accomplish with your photography? Perhaps the answer to this, acquired via some introspection, will lead you to a better idea of what to do with the $750+-

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 06, 2017 12:59 |  #52

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18347805 (external link)
Ok, I think I get that........but that leads me to wonder; if your photographic goals are not to create "wall-hangers", then what are they?

I mean, what is it that you are trying to accomplish with your photography? Perhaps the answer to this, acquired via some introspection, will lead you to a better idea of what to do with the $750+-

As far as title goes, I was referring to what the Title Fairy has put under my avatar. It may or not be true. I am OK with it, either way.

Accomplish? Well, uuhhh, ummm, errhh, ... yes, accomplish. Really? Nothing. I take photos of whatever comes up. (I've put this out in other threads. If you've seen it, skip to the next paragraph.) Kids (grandkids mostly) playing sports, Halloween, baptisms, weddings, summer cookouts... general life of the family. I've always had a camera. My mother bought me a Brownie Hawkeye Flash in about 1965 or so. I was eight years old. Photography fascinated me. "If I point this little box at you, I can preserve you, and this moment in history forever." To my mind, cameras are time travel in a box. I have photos (not that I took) of my mother at 14, my 30-something grandfather with my 5 year old uncle, my father's (WWII Marine Vet) last Veteran's Day, my great-grandmother's wedding. In some sense, my mother will always be 14, and my dad will spend eternity crying over what he did/saw on Iwo Jima, Siapan, and Tinian. I also take photos of whatever strikes my fancy. Flowers in the yard, bugs, cropdusters, old tractors, country bridges, yadda-yadda. There are probably 200 of my photos hanging in my house. Most of the photos my entire family uses on Facebook are mine. I am happy with all of that. I can look through my photos and see my best cat ever, Sammy, just like we was 20 years ago. Or my 30-something daughter when she was 6. Honestly, nobody but me sees most (98%?) of my photos.

Some of my photos happen to be fairly good, in my wife's opinion. I am much too harsh a critic of my own work, as most photographers are. I have $15,000-20,000 (new prices) of photo gear in my closet not because I need any of it. It is there because I can afford it. Some of it gets used once or twice a year. My cameras and accessories are just toys, but they are an essential part of who/what I am. When I want to try something new, I buy something new (used/refurbed). I have stopped selling lenses because I have re-purchased too many of them. It is cheaper to just put them in the closet.

This thread is simply about suggestions for some way to go with my next purchase. So far, I am leaning to just putting the balance of my camera fund back into the family pot. I really don't want (let alone need) anything. Just looking for something that strikes my fancy. Same as I've been doing for 50+ years.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,801 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 06, 2017 13:30 |  #53

Bassat wrote in post #18347844 (external link)
I take photos of whatever comes up. I also take photos of whatever strikes my fancy. Flowers in the yard, bugs, cropdusters, old tractors, country bridges, yadda-yadda. There are probably 200 of my photos hanging in my house. Most of the photos my entire family uses on Facebook are mine. I am happy with all of that. I can look through my photos and see my best cat ever, Sammy, just like we was 20 years ago. Or my 30-something daughter when she was 6. Honestly, nobody but me sees most (98%?) of my photos.

This thread is simply about suggestions for some way to go with my next purchase. I really don't want (let alone need) anything. Just looking for something that strikes my fancy.

Well, in that case I think that the following suggestion is a perfect fit for you:

fplstudio wrote in post #18343362 (external link)
Print some photobooks for the members of your family

You could take themes and make a book based on each one, such as "pets", "family", "travels", etc. The process of designing a book of one's own photos is an especially fun and creative endeavor.

Here's a link to a good book-making site, if you're interested:
https://www.adoramapix​.com/app/products/phot​o-books/ (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose.

May 06, 2017 23:01 |  #54

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18347741 (external link)
If the money you have is in a dedicated photography fund, and you are feeling an urge to spend it rather than save it, then why not get several nice large prints of your finest photos?

That's a good point. I've got the highest amateur category with smugmug (one in which I can do my own CSS styling, but there's no commission for my work). My mom has gotten into my smugmug account, and so she's ordered quite a few prints that are large stretched canvases or prints that she professionally framed. One of the photos she had framed, I did see it looked even better with the frame that was chosen.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,242 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Oct 2014

May 07, 2017 05:56 |  #55

I'd never buy a toy that I wasn't extremely clear I wanted or "needed". In addition to the other fine suggestions, you could always sit on your toy-earmarked money until you do get a burning desire for something specific - and by then it might be enough for something really special. :)

It's a nice feeling to know that as soon as you get the hankering for something you can make it happen.

Vice President of the No-Talent Gear Head club
SL1 | 24 STM | 18-135 IS STM | 55-250 IS STM
5D3 | 35/2 IS | 40 STM | Σ50A | 50 STM | 100L | 24-70L 2.8 II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 100-400L II

jmann12180
382 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by jmann12180.

May 07, 2017 06:52 |  #56

Have you ever thought about a drone? That would open up a new world of photography opportunities. I don't own one but have been toying with the idea.

Canon 7D | Rebel XTi | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS | Sigma 10-20mm | Kenko Extension Tubes | 430EX Speedlite E-TTL II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,357 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 07, 2017 08:11 |  #57

Asked in reply 8... :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 07, 2017 09:09 |  #58

Still haven't seen Bassat rule out taking a wall out to enlarge the home studio.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 07, 2017 09:15 |  #59

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18348334 (external link)
Still haven't seen Bassat rule out taking a wall out to enlarge the home studio.

I could easily knock out a wall. I'm not sure how the finished room would look though. There's only $750 in my camera slush fund.

Now it seems I need to spend $29 to replace my Wasabi LP-E6 batteries. I'll have to plan ahead for that. $29 every 6 years or so is draining my wallet! :)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 07, 2017 09:37 |  #60

Bassat wrote in post #18348338 (external link)
I could easily knock out a wall. I'm not sure how the finished room would look though.

Yup, never said anything about putting anything in its place. LOL.

I am in the exact position. My workspace is a former carport with T and G ceiling and trusses over that. Taking out the wall would be a piece of cake, but then I have to "marry" the look of the two spaces. Not such an easy task.

If you'd like some practice, come on down.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

11,608 views & 18 likes for this thread
Now what do I do?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.