Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buy or Build

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Nathan.

May 03, 2017 08:06 |  #31

AlanU wrote in post #18344832 (external link)
It's almost part of the Apple culture.

I'm part of the Apple culture - but that's because I worked as a graphics designer on Macs in the late 90s. I've since used PCs for work (different career industry altogether), but I've almost always fallen back on Macs for photos and editing.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
Canonuser123
709 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 04, 2017 14:20 as a reply to  @ post 18338287 |  #32

Not true, my HP Z workstations are built with very high quality parts, I get them off lease for a tenth or less than they sold for new.

Canonuser123
709 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 04, 2017 14:37 |  #33

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18340395 (external link)
I completely disagree

I deal with HP, dells, lenovos almost on daily basis, and never seen one that was decently build with good components.

Memory is slowest possible speed, some low quality brand or some generic stuff.
PSU is some low-end bargain bin trash that is barely strong enough to run the system, add a video card or few hard drives and the PSU will barely supply enough power to run the system
what do you get with normal pre-build system? one year warranty, want more may more, want to actually speak to someone that you can understand, sure pay for "premium" US support.

with custom build system, if you pick good parts, you get (for no extra cost)
3 years on CPU
3 years on board
lifetime on memory
5-10 on power supply
3-10 on video card
2-5 on hard drive or SSD

other thing that really ticks me off about all pre-build systems, very often they used non-standard parts, different connectors, PSU that are different shape, its called ATX standard for a reason.

Lenovo also likes to clue the heatsink for CPU on.
Dell and HP also like to glue the motherboards to the case.

Maybe the low end stuff, at the high end that is not even close to true. As for non standard connectors on PSU, that is about the easiest problem to get around and there are wiring adapters to go from 24 pin to whatever you need for your motherboard. I have a Lenovo TS 140 that I bought new for $300, I put it in a big server chassis and am running a big wattage PSU, I am using a cheap cable from Amazon to go from 24 pins to I believe it was 14 pins. Now it is no problem to have 13 hard drives in my Lenovo media server and the board had the proper PCIe slots for my raid cards.

My HP Z workstations are built like tanks and are easy to work on. My self built I7 6700K at stock 4.0Ghz speed PC is about 75% as fast CPU wise as my 7 year old HP Z600 and cost me 2 time as much as I paid for my Z600 off lease a few years back.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 06, 2017 20:29 |  #34

Nathan wrote in post #18345138 (external link)
I'm part of the Apple culture - but that's because I worked as a graphics designer on Macs in the late 90s. I've since used PCs for work (different career industry altogether), but I've almost always fallen back on Macs for photos and editing.

There's no chance I'd buy an Apple laptop today. The new MacBooks and MacBook Pros are complete disasters with the USB-C-only connections (and all the stupid dongles you have to buy) and loss of the magnetic power cable connector, and the MacBook Air is a couple of years old now. They are the worst revisions of just about any Mac product I can think of.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,800 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by davesrose.

May 06, 2017 21:27 |  #35

One lesser known small company that makes really good workstations is Xi Computers. I bought one of their workstations years ago, and had no problems with it. Eventually I then priced out ultra high end 3D workstations, and found there was great savings in building your own (and getting components from New Egg). It depends though....Xi seems to have really good deals with graphics cards. For pre-configured graphics workstations, Xi Computers definitely has the best prices. For your situation, they'll probably also have better deals than trying to price out individual components as well.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

JimLittle
Goldmember
3,279 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Apr 2005

May 07, 2017 08:59 |  #36

I'm very satisfied with these folks....

www.pugetsystems.com (external link)

Expensive, but worth it....

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 07, 2017 22:15 |  #37

Tony-S wrote in post #18348050 (external link)
There's no chance I'd buy an Apple laptop today. The new MacBooks and MacBook Pros are complete disasters with the USB-C-only connections (and all the stupid dongles you have to buy) and loss of the magnetic power cable connector, and the MacBook Air is a couple of years old now. They are the worst revisions of just about any Mac product I can think of.

I have no idea, really. Last August, I bought the Apple laptop I've been wanting for a really long time. It's a 17 inch 2011 Mac Pro.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by FuturamaJSP.

May 08, 2017 03:09 |  #38

When you buy a Mac you are basically paying the extra for the brand and their design but with far inferior hardware.
A computer is a tool not something that you carry with you to Starbucks to show off.
I bet my pc with 3yr old CPU and motherboard is able to beat most Mac Pros out there that cost 3-5 times more.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 08, 2017 06:32 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18348931 (external link)
When you buy a Mac you are basically paying the extra for the brand and their design but with far inferior hardware.
A computer is a tool not something that you carry with you to Starbucks to show off.
I bet my pc with 3yr old CPU and motherboard is able to beat most Mac Pros out there that cost 3-5 times more.

You are forgetting one thing...the OS. I believe most people use Macs for the OS and not too show off to you PC gamers with their shiny toys. Windows sucks in my books and this is coming from someone that uses PC's. Not n the future.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by FuturamaJSP. (2 edits in all)

May 09, 2017 03:05 |  #40

Hogloff wrote in post #18348985 (external link)
You are forgetting one thing...the OS. I believe most people use Macs for the OS and not too show off to you PC gamers with their shiny toys. Windows sucks in my books and this is coming from someone that uses PC's. Not n the future.

http://www.hackintosh.​com/ (external link)
https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Linux (external link)

its always the same the Mac fanboys keep saying how crappy, uninstable or unsafe Windows is without mentioning that nowadays Macs and Windows computers share pretty much the same hardware which means you can pretty much turn any cheap PC into a Mac running Mac OS. Where is your Mac cpus that IBM used to make? Why did Apple switch to Intel?
I think it shows how much superior PC hardware really is considering Apple itself dropped their own PowerPC cpus and switched to Windows PC cpus made by Intel :D

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 09, 2017 06:52 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18349763 (external link)
http://www.hackintosh.​com/ (external link)
https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Linux (external link)

its always the same the Mac fanboys keep saying how crappy, uninstable or unsafe Windows is without mentioning that nowadays Macs and Windows computers share pretty much the same hardware which means you can pretty much turn any cheap PC into a Mac running Mac OS. Where is your Mac cpus that IBM used to make? Why did Apple switch to Intel?
I think it shows how much superior PC hardware really is considering Apple itself dropped their own PowerPC cpus and switched to Windows PC cpus made by Intel :D

I guess you missed the part where I currently use a windows system,so just keep your childish fanboy comments to yourself.

I don't want a home brew system based on some garage based OS. I view my computer as a tool, like a hammer, that sits there not needing any attention and just does it's job when I need it. I don't get the joy out of their computers that many seem to. A windows system requires constant maintenance, at least the systems I used at work as well as my home system. It gets into my way of just wanting to process images.

Friends of mine run Mac systems for their photography. They don't have any issues with them. What a concept, a tool that just works when you need it.

speedync
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by speedync.

May 09, 2017 06:59 |  #42

I reckon I won't be buying another desktop, or laptop. Picked up an Intel Skull Canyon NUC. Brilliant bits of gear. Quad core i7 6770, I popped 16 GB of RAM in mine and a 500GB SSD, has Thunderbolt 3, USB C or mini display port, HDMI, built in Bluetooth & WiFi, Iris Pro graphics, Toslink audio, it's tiny, fast & near silent. Take it anywhere, any HDMI TV will work as a monitor when travelling, or grab a 15.6" IPS portable monitor http://www.techradar.c​om/reviews/mb169c (external link) Plenty fast enough for any editing I want to do. Does Pano merges snappy as. Great bit of gear. 3 year warranty. Everything just works.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 09, 2017 09:13 |  #43

Hogloff wrote in post #18349869 (external link)
I guess you missed the part where I currently use a windows system,so just keep your childish fanboy comments to yourself.

I don't want a home brew system based on some garage based OS. I view my computer as a tool, like a hammer, that sits there not needing any attention and just does it's job when I need it. I don't get the joy out of their computers that many seem to. A windows system requires constant maintenance, at least the systems I used at work as well as my home system. It gets into my way of just wanting to process images.

Friends of mine run Mac systems for their photography. They don't have any issues with them. What a concept, a tool that just works when you need it.

I never said anything bad about your precious Mac OS. Not in this thread or any other in this forum. Please read my comment before jumping into conclusion.
I do admit that the older Windows could be instable but calling them garage based OS is only something that a blind fanboy would do.
Also, my 3 year old "home brew" system has never required maintenance, only upgrade that I made to turn it from a cheap budget tool for editing into a high end dual purpose machine for both editing and entertainment was by adding a high end Nvidia GPU.
I always avoid cheap parts from unknown manufacturers when building my own pc.
I've also purchased pre-built systems in the past from HP, IBM and Dell and never had any problem with them either.
I am pretty sure most of the parts in Mac computers are manufactured by companies that also make parts for pc, like the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage...

blah blah blah
DA (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,378 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 09, 2017 09:56 |  #44

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18349948 (external link)
I do admit that the older Windows could be instable but calling them garage based OS is only something that a blind fanboy would do.....

I don't think that it's fanboy-ism, but OS expertise. The Mac OS has a very tightly controlled UI making it very difficult for novice or average users to get themselves into trouble. It's set up for you, you leave it be and it works. Windows has taken the opposite approach allowing users to change anything they want and many of those changes can seriously degrade performance or make the system unstable. In photographic terms, Mac OS is like a P.S camera where settings have been chosen to give the most people a satisfactory experience. Windows is like a DSLR where quite a bit of knowledge is needed to get the most out of the tool unless you just keep it in the green box and don't change anything until you really understand what it is your changing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 10, 2017 02:07 |  #45

gjl711 wrote in post #18349978 (external link)
I don't think that it's fanboy-ism, but OS expertise. The Mac OS has a very tightly controlled UI making it very difficult for novice or average users to get themselves into trouble. It's set up for you, you leave it be and it works. Windows has taken the opposite approach allowing users to change anything they want and many of those changes can seriously degrade performance or make the system unstable. In photographic terms, Mac OS is like a P.S camera where settings have been chosen to give the most people a satisfactory experience. Windows is like a DSLR where quite a bit of knowledge is needed to get the most out of the tool unless you just keep it in the green box and don't change anything until you really understand what it is your changing.

haha what is this? a Mac forum for their devoted followers?
I know 80 yr olds who have learned to use Windows and I learned how to use a computer on a Windows PC in the 90s at the age of 13. Actually I have friends who learned to use crappy old Windows 3.1 when they were still in kindergarten.
So if old folks and kids could easily learn to use Windows then it can't be as complicated as you claim it to be.

Also as i said before i never said anything negative about the mac OS so stop bringing up how much better mac OS is over all the other OS. I've never used it and probably never will because game developers only release kids games for iOS...

blah blah blah
DA (external link)

sponsored links

6,853 views & 19 likes for this thread
Buy or Build
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.