Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buy or Build

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 10, 2017 07:05 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18350688 (external link)
haha what is this? a Mac forum for their devoted followers?
I know 80 yr olds who have learned to use Windows and I learned how to use a computer on a Windows PC in the 90s at the age of 13. Actually I have friends who learned to use crappy old Windows 3.1 when they were still in kindergarten.
So if old folks and kids could easily learn to use Windows then it can't be as complicated as you claim it to be.

Also as i said before i never said anything negative about the mac OS so stop bringing up how much better mac OS is over all the other OS. I've never used it and probably never will because game developers only release kids games for iOS...

But that's the point. Listen to what is being said. People switch to the Mac not for it's hardware, but for it's OS. Just a few weeks ago my System locked up because NIK Define has an issue and stopped working. Logically I tried killing Define by clicking on the close app button...no luck. Tried using System Manager to kill Define...no luck. Tried to log off Windows...no luck. I had to do a hard reboot to restart the system. This is the problems with Windows. My friends that use Macs say they never experience these types of problems. That is why my next system is going to be a Mac.

Back to the original question...either buy a prebuilt system or pick out your own components and have the shop put it together for you. I see no pleasure in building up a computer and see a potential to spend a lot of frustrating time when things don't work. My last computer was customized by me, but was built up by experts for an extra $50. Money well spent.

sponsored links
FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 10, 2017 08:44 |  #47

and you are still ignoring the fact that you can run Mac OS on a PC that is actually way faster and most probably cheaper...
Also just because the software you use isn't very stable when running it on Windows doesn't mean the OS itself is to blame.
My guess is that some software are just like games. They are more optimized with certain OS than other just like some games are less stable when running on a PC than on a console.
If I were you I'd contact the software developer and ask them to release an update to address the issue.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 10, 2017 09:00 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18350840 (external link)
and you are still ignoring the fact that you can run Mac OS on a PC that is actually way faster and most probably cheaper...
Also just because the software you use isn't very stable when running it on Windows doesn't mean the OS itself is to blame.
My guess is that some software are just like games. They are more optimized with certain OS than other just like some games are less stable when running on a PC than on a console.
If I were you I'd contact the software developer and ask them to release an update to address the issue.

Sure I can put the Mac OS onto the PC using some hack software...no thanks...if I want Mac OS, I'll get the real thing.

As far as unstable software, it exists...but it should NEVER bring down the OS. That's just unacceptable from an OS standpoint. Windows could not deal with the hung processes...could not stop or delete them. I should never have to hit the off button on my computer to clear up the system. That however occurs in Windows...too often for my liking.

Like I said, I use my computer as a tool...but too many times I fight the tool rather than processing my images.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by FuturamaJSP. (2 edits in all)

May 10, 2017 09:40 |  #49

wow... its like blaming Canon for making bad cameras because you are not able to get satisfactory results with a third party lens.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,506 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 10, 2017 09:51 |  #50

Hogloff wrote in post #18350778 (external link)
But that's the point. Listen to what is being said. People switch to the Mac not for it's hardware, but for it's OS. Just a few weeks ago my System locked up because NIK Define has an issue and stopped working. Logically I tried killing Define by clicking on the close app button...no luck. Tried using System Manager to kill Define...no luck. Tried to log off Windows...no luck. I had to do a hard reboot to restart the system. This is the problems with Windows. My friends that use Macs say they never experience these types of problems. That is why my next system is going to be a Mac.

Back to the original question...either buy a prebuilt system or pick out your own components and have the shop put it together for you. I see no pleasure in building up a computer and see a potential to spend a lot of frustrating time when things don't work. My last computer was customized by me, but was built up by experts for an extra $50. Money well spent.

I had this type of thing happen on both my MacBook and Mac Mini...

In fact when it happens on a Mac you have your hands even further tied because it's not as easy to launch into a system manager and kill the process that's frozen.

I remember having to reboot my Macs a number of times actually, usually the crashes happened when using Gimp or handbrake if I remember right.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,008 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 10, 2017 10:08 |  #51

Hogloff wrote in post #18350866 (external link)
Sure I can put the Mac OS onto the PC using some hack software...no thanks...if I want Mac OS, I'll get the real thing.

As far as unstable software, it exists...but it should NEVER bring down the OS. That's just unacceptable from an OS standpoint. Windows could not deal with the hung processes...could not stop or delete them. I should never have to hit the off button on my computer to clear up the system. That however occurs in Windows...too often for my liking.

Like I said, I use my computer as a tool...but too many times I fight the tool rather than processing my images.

So when it happens do you look at the error logs, find the problem and resolve it? Windows doesn't have to be unstable but it takes a little effort.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 10, 2017 10:11 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18350902 (external link)
wow... its like blaming Canon for making bad cameras because you are not able to get satisfactory results with a third party lens.

No, it's just stating the OS is not solid enough to control the applications that run on it. Oh...and by the way, where can I purchase this non-third party image processing package from Micro$oft?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 10, 2017 10:14 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18350916 (external link)
I had this type of thing happen on both my MacBook and Mac Mini...

In fact when it happens on a Mac you have your hands even further tied because it's not as easy to launch into a system manager and kill the process that's frozen.

I remember having to reboot my Macs a number of times actually, usually the crashes happened when using Gimp or handbrake if I remember right.

I don't have much experience with Macs...some through work. Had no issues at all.

I've used all versions of Windows from the very first. All have had major issues of locking up...everyone of them. I've had enough...need to try the Mac OS. From what I've read and heard from friends, it is much less prone to major issues.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 11, 2017 02:16 |  #54

You know what? I think I will switch to Mac as well because I mean what your friends said must be true.
Every single software out there must be running smoothly on Mac not to mention that you can never get virusis.
Even though I am not familiar with the hardware or the OS I am still going to ditch everything I have to switch to Apple.
Thank God, I mean Steve Jobs, for have created such a perfect product!

IMAGE: http://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/steve_lives-2.jpg

blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 11, 2017 07:17 |  #55
bannedPermanent ban

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18351677 (external link)
You know what? I think I will switch to Mac as well because I mean what your friends said must be true.
Every single software out there must be running smoothly on Mac not to mention that you can never get virusis.
Even though I am not familiar with the hardware or the OS I am still going to ditch everything I have to switch to Apple.
Thank God, I mean Steve Jobs, for have created such a perfect product!

QUOTED IMAGE

Sorry if I hit such a hot button with you. Try to keep your posts somewhat civil and mature.

I just speak from my experience with windows and it's been quite frustrating at times. And yes, I much rather believe my friends rather than someone like you who I know nothing about except your posts and that sure as hell does not give me any confidence.

And why does it bother you so much if I switch to a Mac. Do you care the same that I use a Stanley hammer?

Larry20d
287 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 11, 2017 09:05 |  #56

I have both PCs (2 of them) and a 2010 IMAC I7 27". I bought the IMAC for post processing RAW photos. I've never had an operating system issue. My wife likes the IMAC because it is "pretty" and being an all-in-one takes up less space. However, I wouldn't buy another one (or any brand all-in-one). In my opinion the PCs can do everything the IMAC can do, st substantially less cost. Yes, from time to time I have to address an issue on the PC by either using task manager to close a recalcitrant program or by re-booting. Not a big deal to me. I also like the option of easily opening the "box" and installing, upgrading, or replacing parts. For example I just installed a SSD drive in one of my PCs (leaving the hard drive installed for data). I would not want to attempt this (or most any other modifications to the IMAC). I would never fault or criticize anyone for choosing a MAC if they feel that ie the best tool for them.

5D Mark III, Canon 80D,16-35L, 24-105L, 70-300L IS, 100-400L IS, Nifty 50 1.4, Canon 135L, Canon 85 1.8, Canon EFS 18-135, Canon 55-250, Sigma 150 Macro, EFS-18-135, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Extension Tubes, Canon G10

speedync
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

May 11, 2017 22:20 |  #57

It's not the operating system. It's the compatibility of all the different parts with the operating system. That's why Apple is generally stable. Buy a good quality off the shelf system made by a reputable brand, & it's pretty damn good. My last 3 computers have been mid to higher end (HP, Toshiba and Intel) and have not given an ounce of trouble. The previous couple of built to specs desktops always had odd little glitches and gotchas. The OEM's build and test their systems before they go into production. Build it yourself and you're doing the testing

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,661 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 11, 2017 22:30 |  #58

philmar wrote in post #18341034 (external link)
Perhaps you need to give examples of the PC vendors that are made of decent components.

Puget systems, AVA Direct, JNCS, Digital Storm, etc.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,661 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 11, 2017 22:33 |  #59

Oh Geez, replied above before seeing that YET ANOTHER thread had devolved into PC Vs. MAC Holy Wars.

Seems to me that some of those involved have even been suspended for the same in the past?

So,. can I expect that to stop here and now?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

dwaisman11
37 posts
Joined Apr 2017

May 17, 2017 14:04 |  #60

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18338287 (external link)
if you want quality then building is the only option

Absolutely. Building will give you the flexibility and the option for the best components money can buy. Which in my experience are not always available when you get equipment of the shelf.

Best of luck

Photography tour Patagonia (external link) at Photography tours (external link)

sponsored links

6,372 views & 19 likes for this thread
Buy or Build
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.