Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 May 2017 (Sunday) 04:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DsR- why does it have an [A+] setting?

ksbal
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

May 09, 2017 13:52 |  #16

A+ is for Perfectionist Photographers :lol:

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
Lyndön
Goldmember
2,173 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Lyndön.

May 10, 2017 04:19 |  #17

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18349365 (external link)
Did the 5D3 have this setting?
Does the 5D4?

I never noticed in either case.

5D classic has Green Box mode - no indention
5D II has Green Box and CA (creative auto) - indention next to CA mode on both original non-locking dial and upgraded locking-dial
5D III has A+ mode with the indention
5DS/SR have A+ mode with the indention
5D IV has A+ but no indention

So every camera in the 5D series has featured a full auto mode. It makes sense to me, since technically it's still a "semi-pro" body in Canon's lineup, right? (They could have changed this after the 6D introduction, I suppose). The only body I'm aware of without any sort of full auto is the 1D Series, but even that still has P mode.

As to why it's there? Because you don't have to have photography talent to have enough money to buy it  :p. Example: They even let me own a 1D-series for a while, lol.

The indention on the button? It could be an index mark of some sort for making sure it's installed in the proper orientation, or maybe they just thought it looked cool. FYI, many other canon models have the indention as well.

GEAR LIST

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Weather Sealed Photographer
6,493 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2005
Location: On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes

May 10, 2017 17:29 |  #18

Lyndön wrote in post #18350716 (external link)
So every camera in the 5D series has featured a full auto mode. It makes sense to me, since technically it's still a "semi-pro" body in Canon's lineup, right? .

that makes sense
:)

Lyndön wrote in post #18350716 (external link)
The indention on the button? It could be an index mark of some sort for making sure it's installed in the proper orientation, or maybe they just thought it looked cool. FYI, many other canon models have the indention as well.

Hmmm..maybe a question for Chuck Westfall- though I don't think he invites Q&A like he used to

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps  (external link) My Gear ---- (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,997 posts
Gallery: 1450 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.

May 10, 2017 17:39 |  #19

Canon isn't trying to make a statement with the 5DSR. They're trying to sell a camera. Maintaining "automatic" and printing a little A+ on there is an extremely minute way to include the buyer who would use it, regardless of the situation, or context.

There are cameras for people who want a statement piece in their hands, with no modalities, just like there are mechanical keyboards without any lettering printed. If one needs that sort of thing, its there. Just don't expect it from everyone selling a product. The company's goal is sales, not the ego of who buys their product.

I'm just guessing though.

Personally, I would rather not see A+ on any of the cameras. But that's another discussion and not really relevant.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,493 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 10, 2017 17:42 |  #20

MalVeauX wrote in post #18351405 (external link)
Canon isn't trying to make a statement with the 5DSR. They're trying to sell a camera. Maintaining "automatic" and printing a little A+ on there is an extremely minute way to include the buyer who would use it, regardless of the situation, or context.

There are cameras for people who want a statement piece in their hands, with no modalities, just like there are mechanical keyboards without any lettering printed. If one needs that sort of thing, its there. Just don't expect it from everyone selling a product. The company's goal is sales, not the ego of who buys their product.

I'm just guessing though.

Personally, I would rather not see A+ on any of the cameras. But that's another discussion and not really relevant.

Very best,

not sure it's my ego that wonders at the 'A+" ( though it may be) ..more a practical thought as the less options and choices the easier it is not to make an accidental setting

I just guessed that people,e wouldn't buy the 5DsR unless they had an idea about the technical aspects of photography but yes, of course anyone can and probably will buy it you're right. I just forgot that!

:) :lol:

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,493 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 10, 2017 17:44 |  #21

ksbal wrote in post #18350201 (external link)
A+ is for Perfectionist Photographers :lol:

need an A+++ for those!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,671 posts
Gallery: 316 photos
Joined May 2008

May 10, 2017 17:51 |  #22

I think I agree with MalVeauX. There might be a small number of customers, maybe one in a hundred, who have no clue about photography and no time to learn it, but have the money and just want the best. So they go into the store or to a website and buy a top camera. And they might appreciate the full auto setting.

I also think that it is a reminder to 5Dx owners that they don't really own a pro camera. It is a nudge to point them to a 1D camera.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,493 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 11, 2017 03:22 |  #23

Archibald wrote in post #18351419 (external link)
I think I agree with MalVeauX. There might be a small number of customers, maybe one in a hundred, who have no clue about photography and no time to learn it, but have the money and just want the best. So they go into the store or to a website and buy a top camera. And they might appreciate the full auto setting.

I also think that it is a reminder to 5Dx owners that they don't really own a pro camera. It is a nudge to point them to a 1D camera.

LOL I'm not lugging THAT weight around!

Pippan
Goldmember
1,380 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

May 11, 2017 04:24 |  #24

I Simonius wrote in post #18348922 (external link)
sure that explains the difference between that and P but doesn't answer the real question I had which is why the target market for the 5DsR would want or need the <A> mode,["In the <A> mode, all you do is point and shoot "] i.e. why would you buy the 5DsR of all cameras, and use it as a a point-and-shoot camera?

I would have thought the <A> setting was redundant for the target market
;)

The green box is so you can hand the camera to your mate or whoever (who has no clue what any of the buttons are for, other than the focus/shutter button), and be in the occasional photo.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,173 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 11, 2017 05:13 |  #25

We also need to remember that people who aren't necessarily artist photographers use these cameras too. They may be used to document medical procedures, crime scenes, etc. and in those cases someone who doesn't really care about the "style" of photography but needs high quality images might be using the camera in an intelligent automatic mode. Someone with experience in these areas (not me) could say for sure, but I'm sure some businesses/organizatio​ns will have these with zero creative intent.

GEAR LIST

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,281 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 11, 2017 09:50 |  #26

I have no qualms about green box being on my cameras, again, that there is one on the 5D4/5D3/7D2 I never really paid any attention.

But I think the reasoning why is far different from what has been preferred in this thread.

Do understand that Canon (et all) have spent decades of time, millions in money and engineers to "perfect" these automated modes, each camera generation is supposed to have better programming etc,. the camera companies actually believe that these modes, the sports setting, the landscape setting and yes the green box, are GOOD. that they, Canon/Nikon, whomever know how to make a good picture via these auto settings,. and use the hardware better than you.

who knows the day may come, but it isn't there now!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,493 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 11, 2017 11:59 |  #27

Lyndön wrote in post #18351725 (external link)
We also need to remember that people who aren't necessarily artist photographers use these cameras too. They may be used to document medical procedures, crime scenes, etc. and in those cases someone who doesn't really care about the "style" of photography but needs high quality images might be using the camera in an intelligent automatic mode. Someone with experience in these areas (not me) could say for sure, but I'm sure some businesses/organizatio​ns will have these with zero creative intent.

very good point!

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 11, 2017 12:15 |  #28

Honestly I would expect that more artists use the automatic modes over the number of people working in technical fields with the cameras.

A manual mode tends to be the go-to option when it comes to producing consistent documentation elements, because it avoid random influence by the scenes contents. Things tend to be fairly formulaic in nature in those cases, as the aim is consistency and reliability.

This however is in rather stark contrast to how many artists work. They're far more free to choose the tools and processes that meet their vision, and there are more than a handful of people running around out there who are artists first and foremost, and photographers as a secondary descriptor.

If you go digging around conversations from artists about their work and tools, you'll have no shortage of those who focus on "being there", getting into the moment, and studying their subject matter. The camera in their hands is almost a distraction to the core of their actual work, and the specifics of how they are used and what features are valued swing wildly.

I've had conversations with one photographer who despises modern digital gear because of how many features and functions are on them. His work is nearly exclusively an old manual film camera, and done purely to "Sunny-16". Interestingly enough his daughter loves her modern digital gear, but strictly uses the pre-programmed modes for sports/landscape/etc. Why? - Because that is what works for her.

Thinking about your camera is a distraction from taking a photo... Its a weird way of thinking in the eyes of some, but if it works for other people...

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,283 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

May 11, 2017 12:19 as a reply to  @ post 18349502 |  #29

I would presume that indent allows a tool to be inserted under to pop off the dial plate for repairs. Another possible reason is so that you can find your settings via tactile input?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

7,919 views & 17 likes for this thread
5DsR- why does it have an [A+] setting?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.