Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 May 2017 (Friday) 01:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Client asking for proof files

dalia
74 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 12, 2017 01:16 |  #1

After purchase of smallest package of 15 files i received this email from my client. How should i respond? Total proofs i had was 75 files. Considering that we already paid $450 for your time I don't see why the proofs would not be included as is customary with other photographers? They are only proofs and do not require any addition professional editing on your part. Particularly since they are digital files and not printed. I'm sorry but I don't see why it would be an issue? They are just something I would like to have for memories sake.

sponsored links
Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

May 12, 2017 01:50 |  #2

"The final edited photos are carefully composed, selected, and edited as part of my artistic skills to show you at your very best. The unedited proofs not selected obviously do not represent our best images together and I do not release them to the public. I don't want others to ever confuse proofs for with the high quality of my finished art. There is no true artist that provides the client with the unused paint, wood, or stone left over from the creation of a masterpiece."

HammerCope
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 12, 2017 07:40 |  #3

Well said Scott. Had a few things to say myself but yours is much better for business. :lol:

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 12, 2017 08:14 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I'm seeing more photographers deliver all images taken to the clients with the option of processing some which the client picks for an extra price. Many are turning their business to a service provider rather than a product delivery. Just price your services accordingly and deliver all images ( well maybe purge obviously blurry or mis shots ) and give the clients an option to process some images they pick to print ready status.

Many wedding photographers are heading in this direction.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 12, 2017 08:21 |  #5

dalia wrote in post #18352526 (external link)
After purchase of smallest package of 15 files i received this email from my client. How should i respond? Total proofs i had was 75 files. Considering that we already paid $450 for your time I don't see why the proofs would not be included as is customary with other photographers? They are only proofs and do not require any addition professional editing on your part. Particularly since they are digital files and not printed. I'm sorry but I don't see why it would be an issue? They are just something I would like to have for memories sake.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that you sent the clients the proofs BEFORE you sent them the final product.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

dalia
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 12, 2017 09:19 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #6

John, i share proof with clients in online gallery. And proofs has watermark.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,137 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 12, 2017 09:34 |  #7

Tell them they are welcome to screen capture the watermarked proofs then for memories. Do you ask a baker for the left over batter used to make their cake? NO you don't.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 12, 2017 09:54 |  #8

dalia wrote in post #18352751 (external link)
John, i share proof with clients in online gallery. And proofs has watermark.

So just to clarify:
Your client has the proofs or at least access to them, and your client has the final images. I don't understand what the problem is.

HammerCope
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by HammerCope.

May 12, 2017 10:26 |  #9

Sounds like they want all the Photos that didn't make the cut also. This way they can try to reprint them for free themselves.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

dalia
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 12, 2017 12:57 as a reply to  @ HammerCope's post |  #10

yes you are right Hammer Cope. Client bought smallest package and other images asking to get for free.

HammerCope
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 12, 2017 13:14 as a reply to  @ dalia's post |  #11

Just tell them they were not to the quality you wanted and they have been deleted.

Pete

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,137 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 12, 2017 13:17 |  #12

Slap a large watermark on them lower the resolution to 72ppi and provide 600 pixels on the longest edge. Makes it pretty useless other then to see what was there.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 12, 2017 13:51 |  #13

dalia wrote in post #18352973 (external link)
yes you are right Hammer Cope. Client bought smallest package and other images asking to get for free.

It might have been better if you had mentioned that in your opening post.

HammerCope wrote in post #18352993 (external link)
Just tell them they were not to the quality you wanted and they have been deleted.

Chet wrote in post #18352995 (external link)
Slap a large watermark on them lower the resolution to 72ppi and provide 600 pixels on the longest edge. Makes it pretty useless other then to see what was there.

The client has got what she paid for. End of story.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 12, 2017 16:39 |  #14

Chet wrote in post #18352995 (external link)

72 ppi...which does diddly squat nothing

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,141 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 12, 2017 23:06 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #15

The client has got what they paid for but that shouldn't be the end of. If they want more offer to sell them more. Obviously if they decline to pay then that is the end of it. Personally I would add an "unedited images" surcharge that makes it more expensive to have unedited proofs than edited images - simply on the basis that unedited images "don't reflect the true quality of my work and as such are damaging to my reputation".

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

5,311 views & 26 likes for this thread
Client asking for proof files
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.