Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 May 2017 (Friday) 00:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Picked Up Something Today - This is Going to be Fun

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 12, 2017 11:21 |  #16

Colorado CJ wrote in post #18352829 (external link)
It's an aerial video/photo platform. Can shoot 4k video or RAW photos. It flies for 27 minutes with a range of 4.5 miles, though I'll always fly it in close.

Basically a Phantom 4 "Drone", but MUCH smaller, it could almost fit in a pocket.

It has tons of tech built inside with too many features to post here.

Could you tell us the make and model, or perhaps a link - I would like to look it up and research it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Colorado ­ CJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
666 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 12, 2017 11:32 |  #17

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18352885 (external link)

Could you tell us the make and model, or perhaps a link - I would like to look it up and research it.

Sure.

It's called the DJI Mavic Pro

http://store.dji.com …f8g10IYvQtwBamx​oC4pnw_wcB (external link)

My Photography Website
http://andrewmarjamaph​otography.com (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,766 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 12, 2017 11:34 |  #18

Is this one heavy enough to require registering with the FAA?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Colorado ­ CJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
666 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 12, 2017 11:50 |  #19

Chet wrote in post #18352898 (external link)
Is this one heavy enough to require registering with the FAA?

You don't have to register if you are part of the AMA (American Modelers Association). Otherwise you do.

A good thing about the AMA is that they give you a 1 million dollar insurance policy when you join.

My Photography Website

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 12, 2017 12:27 |  #20

Out here where I live it is wide open for miles and miles and miles, with just wilderness as far as the eye can see in many areas.

Nobody I know locally has ever registered a drone with anybody, and yet I have several friends who fly them on a regular basis. I guess there could be concerns if you use them where other people could see it, but here you just get off all by yourself and it's all good. The local airport has one plane come and go each day - the FedEx plane, between 3pm and 4pm every day. Not really any air traffic that a drone would interfere with.

If I got a drone like this (or a cheaper one), I don't think I would bother to register it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

May 13, 2017 08:03 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18352865 (external link)

Holey Shamoley!

I thought that most small drones were much, much less. . In fact, I have given a few away as birthday gifts to kids, and haven't paid more than $70 for any of them. . One of them was only $35 on special at B&H!

I am assuming that at the $995 price point, this has some kind of incredible technology, or comes with one of those dock type thingies that allows you to see what it sees when it is in the air.

It actually has a lot of technology packed into it. The Mavic and DJI's Phantom 3 & 4 series have 720p real time video downlinks to a monitor, phone or tablet (depending on model). All have GPS onboard and can be very stable even in some wind. People are getting nice 2-4 second long exposures from them. The Mavic is very compact and folds up for great portability. The Phantom 4 Pro has the best camera in it's class at 20mp. All of these units have a number of autonomous flight features like the ability to track or follow a subject, fly a pre determined waypoint course, circle a point of interest, etc.

The Mavic has a decent 12mp sensor. A good photog friend of mine has one and does excellent multirow panos with it.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
6,834 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 13, 2017 08:10 |  #22

cutwater wrote in post #18353547 (external link)
It actually has a lot of technology packed into it. The Mavic and DJI's Phantom 3 & 4 series have 720p real time video downlinks to a monitor, phone or tablet (depending on model). All have GPS onboard and can be very stable even in some wind. People are getting nice 2-4 second long exposures from them. The Mavic is very compact and folds up for great portability. The Phantom 4 Pro has the best camera in it's class at 20mp. All of these units have a number of autonomous flight features like the ability to track or follow a subject, fly a pre determined waypoint course, circle a point of interest, etc.

The Mavic has a decent 12mp sensor. A good photog friend of mine has one and does excellent multirow panos with it.

That is incredible. Wow.

Colorado ­ CJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
666 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Colorado CJ.

May 15, 2017 00:40 |  #23

Here's a quick video shot a few minutes from my home with my new Mavic Pro

I've been a photographer for many years, but these are my first tries in cinematography. I have A LOT to learn, but it should be a ton of fun.

This was filmed at a local hiking area called Devil's Backbone. Shot in 2.7K at 30P.

https://youtu.be/S6i3s​9q84YQ (external link)

Unfortunately I'm going to have to return this one as the right side of the video is blurry, a known issue with the Mavics. I'll be requesting a new one though, this thing has HUGE potential as a tool for my photography and in getting my feet wet in cinematography.

My Photography Website

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,405 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (8 edits in all)

May 15, 2017 05:34 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #24

If you want to break current laws, then sure don't register it. However if you have a fly away, and damage can be traced to you, the fines alone will cost you about 27 of these drones. :)

It's $5 to register it unless you want to sell imagery. Then you enter a whole new arena of registration. So those that are buying these to expand their photography or movie business will need to get their commercial license. That leads you to a whole another nightmare to deal with, unless you are a pilot already or love sectional maps, metars, notams, and meteorology. :(

I also don't see how being a member of AMA means you don't register? In fact AMA calls out specifically that you still have to register, as does the FAA.

http://www.modelaircra​ft.org/aboutama/faa-uas-faq.aspx (external link)
http://amablog.modelai​rcraft.org …raft-remains-federal-law/ (external link)

I was pretty happy to pick up the DJI P4 at $850 during a one day sale online and at B&M stores. It is fun!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,405 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

May 15, 2017 06:21 |  #25

frozenframe wrote in post #18352548 (external link)
Sweet, lucky you!!
Alan, if I'm not mistaken it's the DJI Mavic Pro.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18352774 (external link)
Sometimes, it is difficult for me when I encounter posts that assume that I already know something or am already familiar with something, or that are intentionally posted to "get me guessing". Guessing isn't fun - I just want the info.

Any time I feel like I am guessing at something, GOOGLE to the rescue! I am waiting for a Google browser sidebar so that as I scroll through web content, the google window constantly changes with additional info and links to that topic or various keywords seen in the middle of the browser. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 15, 2017 08:19 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18354998 (external link)
Any time I feel like I am guessing at something, GOOGLE to the rescue!

Well of course I know that I can Google something. But I simply don't feel like I should have to go off-site to another webpage just to find out what someone is talking about.

I think that people should write posts in such a way that folks reading them do not have to go outside of the post itself in order to understand what is being written. That is just common courtesy.

When using acronyms, for example, the first time that an acronym is used in a post, it is thoughtful for it to be spelled out, so that no one has to go use Google just to find out what SOOC means (straight out of camera), or what DOF means (depth of field), et cetera.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,405 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (19 edits in all)

May 15, 2017 08:40 |  #27

That is just a difference in opinion I guess. There is no way to provide enough info in a post to give everyone everything they need to know so they don't have to go outside POTN, plus I personally don't want to read essays for every post. However in this case, reply #3 had the pertinent info for subsequent research.

I take the responsibility to educate myself instead of expecting somebody to provide enough info that I don't have to research further. I find I become more interested in something this way, and actually learn more than whatever somebody might type up in a post. Again just a difference in approach, everyone is unique in this regard. Neither is right or wrong, but one way is more manageable than the other. :)

I will often have 10+ tabs up in a browser with different searched content on what I read on the boards, fun stuff! Drives my wife crazy...

---
EDIT:

I found this advertised deal for those interested.

$400 for a refurb DJI (Dà-Jiāng Innovations in China) Phantom 3 (Standard though, not Pro (professional)) is a pretty good way to get an outstanding drone (ie. quadcopter, ie. a flying craft with 4 horizontally oriented propellers) with 3 way gimbal (3 dimensional pivoting system to help stabilize a device, like a camera), GPS (global positioning system, ie. satellites in semi-synchronous orbit about the earth), 2.7K HD (high definition, but not quite 4K - horizontal resolution in the order of 3840 (or 4096) pixels) video, 12Mpx (12 million pixels - which is the resolution of the sensor to digitally record an image) and a host of other features. It is a bit tough to find other drones in this price range with the feature set and battery life of this unit.

http://store.dji.com …standard-refurbished-unit (external link)

Black Friday (the Friday after Thanksgiving, an American holiday, and is one of the busiest shopping periods of the year) usually has many drone deals, so if you are in no hurry, that is probably the best time to really start watching for price drops. The Bebop Parrot 2 (another make and model of a drone) seems like an interesting option to look into. I really like the design of the Mavic Pro however, much more portable than the DJI Phantom 4 (a sibling drone to the Mavic Pro).

You can purchase an open box Mavic Pro from Amazon Warehouse Deals for under $900, which could be a good value. Amazon has a great return policy if you don't like what you receive.

https://www.amazon.com …mbc?ie=UTF8&con​dition=all (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. (5 edits in all)

May 15, 2017 09:12 |  #28

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18355082 (external link)
I will often have 10+ tabs up in a browser with different searched content on what I read on the boards, fun stuff!

Oh, yeah, I hear you when it comes to that. On this window that I am currently browsing POTN (photography on the net) on, I have 14 tabs open. One of them is the webpage for the drone that the OP started this thread about.

But wait - there's more!

My Netflix window has 8 tabs open because I like to do deep research on the movies I watch, and on the cast members.

My Shutterstock window has 4 tabs open, to track earnings, upload new images, research what my competitors are doing, and reading SS-provided content for contributors.

My email window has 10 tabs open now, as I often research the things that I get emails about, and like to further the research beyond the original intent of the email. This window contains Facebook and eBay tabs, among several others.

My photo submissions tab has 7 tabs open - this contains the various publications that I am researching so as to submit photos to them.......things such as submission guidelines, staff member's contact info, and so forth.

My weather window has only two tabs open at the moment. I use this to track hour-by-hour weather predictions for the different areas around me that I photograph at on a daily basis. Sometimes this window has 6 or 7 tabs open, if I am contemplating day trips to outlying areas.

My literature window only has two tabs open at the moment. This is where I research English literature and the writers thereof, and also where I access a literature-oriented forum.

My 'natural world research' window has 7 tabs open now. This is where I research various species of mammals, birds, plants, and, currently, fungi. I also use this window to research physical geography on both this continent and others.

I have another window with 7 tabs open. The content of this window is personal.

My home improvement window has 3 tabs open, all relating to wire semi-conductors used for in-floor heating. This is for my upcoming kitchen floor project.

My music window has 9 tabs open. This is where I create and curate various playlists and where I research modern music history. There is some crossover between this and the literature window, due to artists such as Jim Morrison, who referenced classic poetry in many of his lyrics.

The Yellowstone Map deserves its very own window, as does the WA State Travel Alert webpage. Only one tab open in each of these two windows.

My upcoming events page has five windows open currently, to track the events of: two local conservation organizations, my local artist's association, the regional photography club that I belong to, and the local Performing Arts Center (PAC). I really don't want to miss anything!

FAA (Fine Art America) has its own window, I have that up because I like to keep track of sales and uploads.

Alamy also has its own window, for the same reasons, but there are three tabs open in this window, sales tracking, upload/keyword tool, and their agency-specific forum.

So there you have it - 16 windows with a total of 80 tabs open right now. The total number varies, and can range from as few as 50 all the way up to well over 100.

Because I already have so many windows and tabs open, the last thing I want or need is to have to open even more tabs just to figure out what someone on POTN is trying to say.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,405 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (11 edits in all)

May 15, 2017 09:15 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #29

Yikes... that is a lot of things to keep open and track. :eek: I would never allow such self-induced mayhem, I would get pretty confused. :)

You would probably not like getting the commercial drone license. EVERTHING is an acronym, hundreds upon hundreds of things you have to study for the test. They have acronyms inside acronyms... It stinks, I have a new appreciation for aircraft pilots. :(

This is a sample METAR, and is actually quite short. This is just one small thing you have to understand how to read to get your commercial drone license.

METAR CYWG 172000Z 30015G25KT 3/4SM R36/4000FT/D -SN BLSN BKN008 OVC040 M05/M08 A2992 REFZRA WS RWY36 RMK SF5NS3 SLP134

This is a weather report for Winnipeg, Manitoba. Not sure why I would have to know how to read these to fly a drone below 400' but I do.

You then get into NOTAMs, Sectional Map legends, etc. - https://www.dartdrones​.com …107-and-airman-knowledge/ (external link)

Here are FAA terms for the VFR sectional map part of the test: https://www.faa.gov …ital_products/a​ero_guide/ (external link)

To the OP, I would love to see some videos of your new drone in flight, not just from the drone itself. It is a very cool design and quite different from the Phantoms. You can embed videos here too once you have some. I plan on running my P4 along a NS train track to get some nice stills for their annual calendar, but have yet to get it out of standard flight mode, I plan on running it in sport mode here soon. I need some practice with it though in this mode.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 15, 2017 09:31 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18355099 (external link)
Yikes... that is a lot of things to keep open and track. :eek: I would never allow such self-induced mayhem, I would get pretty confused. :)

Just wait 'till the football season gets underway. Then there will be another two or three windows open, each with many, many tabs. It's hard to keep up with 32 teams, each with 53 players on their roster. It is actually a bit overwhelming, and I need to continue my NFL research deep into the off-season just to fully digest what all happened during the season itself.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18355099 (external link)
You would probably not like getting the commercial drone license, based on your comments here. EVERTHING is an acronym, hundreds upon hundreds of things you have to study for the test. They have acronyms inside acronyms... It stinks. :(

I would never go for that license. I am a wildland firefighter, and keeping current on my certification requires a lot of classes and so forth. It also stinks - so many terms and acronyms to keep up with. Like the drone license, it's a government thing, and our government always manages to make a complicated mess out of things that could be simple and easy. They're too concerned with trying to keep everybody safe and protected. I've never cared much for safety - it is often at odds with personal freedom, and in my book, freedom should win every time.

sponsored links

6,233 views & 15 likes for this thread
Picked Up Something Today - This is Going to be Fun
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.