Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 May 2017 (Friday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

At what point do you begin thinking about choking a client?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,847 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

May 05, 2017 14:26 |  #1

I'm looking at the local minor league baseball schedule to see what game I'm taking the kids to this weekend and a client calls at 2:30 FRIDAY AFTERNOON wondering when he will get the work he asked me about via email yesterday afternoon.

The product in question are three pieces out of one large batch of product that arrived in three different shipments and 5 different packages. I have ZERO documentation about this batch of product. The 3 shots he is asking about should have been done with all the previous product except the client had his head in his ass this time around.

We were supposed to be working this batch like the others we do a few times a year for the past 3 years, but nothing has been according to plan this time

I tell him I will try to get them done this weekend ... client totally loses his cool with me on the phone saying he has other photographers and I need to step it up or lose the work.

I say nothing and just let him freak out a little.

Hang up and send him this:

Just to be perfectly clear here. We talked about these "product" on the 25th of April, 10 days ago, via text and phone call. You said you needed to check the size they were to be shot AND check the status of the other two missing "product" that did not ship to me.

10 days pass and the first I f...ing hear back about them was yesterday afternoon.

Now the house is on fire.

- Left Handed Brisket

Client wrote:
> Product 1
> Product 2
> Product 3
>
> Can you see if you have these, and can you knock them out as (1)s for "His Employee" to finish up?

I had the product and had told him I had the freaking product. My guess is he not only forgot I had them he forgot to clarify with the manufacturer and then tell me how to shoot them.

he asked for them ASAP ("As Soon As Possible") which is fine, but I don't think by Monday is possible. LOL

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by PhotosGuy.

May 05, 2017 14:51 |  #2

My guess is he not only forgot I had them he forgot to clarify with the manufacturer and then tell me how to shoot them. he asked for them ASAP ("As Soon As Possible") which is fine, but I don't think by Monday is possible. LOL

That works for me. And backsass from him & I'd consider firing him unless he's a very good client or politely agrees to 3X "RUSH" charges for Monday PM delivery.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 05, 2017 15:22 |  #3

The joy of being self employed is that you can tell him to take a walk, after pointing out why he's being asked to take a walk in case he's wondering. I has the extraordinary pleasure of telling a fishing club to go away recently, after pointing out how, as I was also the manager of a maintenance firm that manages rivers and does environmental consultancy work, as well as landscape maintenance, , how AMAZINGLY helpful I could have been to them, if only their chairman hadn't been a dick to me in several e mails making unreasonable demands in a very rude way, but ah well, their loss :)

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,847 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

May 05, 2017 16:05 |  #4

fwiw, to all you new to the industry. Ultimately, it is my fault for proceeding without the previously agreed upon conditions being met. But when one party gives a little, the other should give a little too. I gave a lot on this job and he hasn't done ****.

this client has meant a lot of revenue over the years, telling him to pound sand isn't in the cards right now. I will however dig up all the old paperwork and tell him that next time I will not consider the job entered into production without each condition being net.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,351 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 05, 2017 23:06 |  #5

Your screw up does not equal my problem. If you want it to be my problem that is +50% rush job fee.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,373 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2017 02:17 |  #6

I had to deal with a dick today as well. Why must people be dicks?

Pour your guts into your work, get treated like *@#!. Hope things work out for you.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2017 10:02 |  #7

I usually hold of on the choking part until the invoice has been paid.  :p

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

May 13, 2017 06:45 |  #8

You do realize your client is able to read and can easily find these forums, don't you?

If you have a client you don't like working with - drop them and move on. Public **** is not a good thing. What you write here will last long after you are gone. Prospective clients will be able to read it and won't call.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 19, 2017 15:46 |  #9

The customer is not always right, but the customer is the customer.

Regardless of how 'outrageous' this client is, they are the ones holding the money that will become your paycheck. Handling the client (and their expectations) is what will make or break almost every single job you ever get as a photographer.

The most important thing missing from your summary of the situation is what the expected turnaround time. If the product shipped on April 25th, when were they EXPECTING to get the product photos? In the past, what sort of turnaround have you provided? Does your contract state an estimated time of delivered assets for any / all work? If not, you may want to define that, and add a clause that allows for a 'rush' ahead of that SLA for a fee.

We all have clients who are being difficult, but without knowing the details of what was promised or expected, this may just be a situation of failing to set expectations, which entirely falls on you.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

sponsored links

2,329 views & 6 likes for this thread
At what point do you begin thinking about choking a client?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.