Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,749 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 19, 2017 17:33 |  #33151

David Arbogast wrote in post #18358697 (external link)
Excellent. Love these.

idsurfer wrote in post #18358698 (external link)
Very nice shots gene! Those could totally go in a magazine add!

digital_AM wrote in post #18358702 (external link)
Very nice series Gene. Have you considered using one light and compositing several shots together with the light fired on the left, right, front, and behind? It's a common technique when shooting cars or real estate.

Thanks, everyone. The trouble with using only one flash Alfredo is getting the light behind the bottle in the right location so it's hidden and exposing only the area I want as well as the light placement on the sides to highlight the rim of the bottle. For me, this was a lot of trial and error to line everything up and then get the exposure I wanted out of each flash...and to get a reflection I wanted too. This was all done in Manual Mode. Of course, unless I write all this down, in two weeks I won't remember how I did it. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I used a mix of glycerin and water to spray on the bottles for the droplets.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links
KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 19, 2017 17:40 |  #33152

I was going to go out and take some Macro's and it started raining. I decided to share some photos of my new macro setup.

I am using a Manfrotto 410 Geared head. I have replaced the standard Manfrotto quick release with an arca swiss system. Amazon has the adapter made by a company called "Hejnar." It includes a replacement plate and an arca screw clamp. I bought mine used off FM forums, so had to purchase a separate clamp from Amazon.

On top of that I have a Novoflex Castel- L focusing rail. This is pricey, but I like that it is very well made and has a dovetail bottom so that you can attach it to an arca clamp easily and even adjust it forward and backwards as needed. Novoflex makes another model called the Castel- Q which has an arca clamp built in. I don't like this model though since I shoot macro with a lens collar and the clamp faces horizontally. The castel L needs a separate clamp to be screwed on in order to accept your camera plate/lens plate.

Here are some photos of the setup.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4248/34761674735_b43d510de3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UXLE​Pz  (external link) 410 1 (external link) by Daniel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4181/34761674575_774f9fb4f6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UXLE​LP  (external link) 410 2 (external link) by Daniel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4228/34761674335_42955da960_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UXLE​GF  (external link) 410 3 (external link) by Daniel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4192/33953305463_c82e8ac977_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/TJky​Nk  (external link) 410 4 (external link) by Daniel (external link), on Flickr

I also have an off camera flash setup using the Wimberly F-2 macro bracket, a Nissin flash and a small soft box that can attach to my lens plate, L plate on my camera, or onto the Castel L. This gives me a lot of versatility for lighting. If anybody is interested in seeing those I could share it as well.

Just a thought from Daniel
Pictures (external link)
Gear

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

May 19, 2017 18:24 |  #33153

navydoc wrote in post #18358731 (external link)
Thanks, everyone. The trouble with using only one flash Alfredo is getting the light behind the bottle in the right location so it's hidden and exposing only the area I want as well as the light placement on the sides to highlight the rim of the bottle. For me, this was a lot of trial and error to line everything up and then get the exposure I wanted out of each flash...and to get a reflection I wanted too. This was all done in Manual Mode. Of course, unless I write all this down, in two weeks I won't remember how I did it. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I used a mix of glycerin and water to spray on the bottles for the droplets.

Gene, you might find this interesting

https://petapixel.com …-photo-single-speedlight/ (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,629 posts
Gallery: 366 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

May 19, 2017 18:38 |  #33154

A couple of the headshots I did for the Owner of the Landscape Architecture firm in California...standard headshots bore me to tears, I would much rather them be environmental portraits...in this case, in one of the spaces he designed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,749 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 19, 2017 18:56 |  #33155

digital_AM wrote in post #18358757 (external link)
Gene, you might find this interesting

https://petapixel.com …-photo-single-speedlight/ (external link)

That was interesting, thanks. However, that seemed like a LOT of work, both in shooting the image and editing in PS, which I did very little of.

Here's his full tutorial for anyone that might be interested. I haven't shot this way enough to even think about creating a tutorial for how I did mine. :-)

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital_AM.

May 19, 2017 22:40 |  #33156

^ Agree with you Gene. That method is a bit involved. I liked your version too with the flash behind the bottle.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital_AM. (2 edits in all)

May 19, 2017 22:56 |  #33157

A view of the War Eagle valley in Northwest Arkansas. Loxia 21

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,743 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by vinmunoz.

May 20, 2017 01:15 |  #33158

i recently bought an OEM battery grip for the A7RII. I noticed an issue of draining the batteries way faster than normal. anyone saw/read this issue somewhere?

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,749 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by navydoc.

May 20, 2017 03:42 |  #33159

digital_AM wrote in post #18358885 (external link)
A view of the War Eagle valley in Northwest Arkansas. Loxia 21

That lone blossoming tree really makes this shot, nice.

For anyone curious, here's one of the beer shots SOOC. All I did was resize to post here. Most of the editing done other than crop was dust removal on the dark tile 'stage'.

And...a pullback shot of my elaborate setup. :-)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,629 posts
Gallery: 366 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

May 20, 2017 05:36 |  #33160

vinmunoz wrote in post #18358924 (external link)
i recently bought an OEM battery grip for the A7RII. I noticed an issue of draining the batteries way faster than normal. anyone saw/read this issue somewhere?

I have not noticed that, typically when I am using the grip I am shooting a lot, so I expect the batteries to not last long. But overly fast draining, I have not experienced that.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

invi2003
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Gallery: 437 photos
Joined Mar 2007

May 20, 2017 11:04 |  #33161

Getting her clean

HOSTED PHOTO

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 20, 2017 11:14 |  #33162

Thank you Gene. Agree. That tree anchors the image.

navydoc wrote in post #18358949 (external link)
That lone blossoming tree really makes this shot, nice.

For anyone curious, here's one of the beer shots SOOC. All I did was resize to post here. Most of the editing done other than crop was dust removal on the dark tile 'stage'.

And...a pullback shot of my elaborate setup. :-)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by navydoc in
./showthread.php?p=183​58949&i=i19094368
forum: Sony Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by navydoc in
./showthread.php?p=183​58949&i=i231545172

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

May 20, 2017 11:35 |  #33163

Ive been so busy with life that i havent been shooting a lot lately. I really enjoyed going out on a short trip with my girlfriend last weekend. Got a few cool shots and its quite motivating me to get out more. Heres my fave shot from then:

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,749 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 20, 2017 12:23 |  #33164

invi2003 wrote in post #18359081 (external link)
Getting her clean

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by invi2003 in
./showthread.php?p=183​59081&i=i17294985

He, he, I have some shots of my Caddy going through the car wash shortly after I bought it too.

Nick ­ Aufiero
459 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by Nick Aufiero.

May 20, 2017 12:48 |  #33165

So I shot a show less than a week ago at 1600 iso and had absolutely no problems. Now today I have this issue. I'm really hoping my cameras and screwed up but it works perfectly fine outside even at a very high iso. It seems just to be indoors now. I was outside and a slight drizzle last night But I drive the Camera off and it wasn't much rain at all. I also just don't understand why it's when it's Low light and high ISO

Manual and autofocus.
Most settings turned off. E front shutter on or off etc.

The issue is seeming to be with the shutter. It's like when you use a flash and the shutter speed is too high and you get the shutter in the image. That is what it is but at certain parts. Like in these images the black bar in the middle is not supposed to be a part of the image

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

My site is www.NickAufiero.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,805,592 views & 33,336 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.