Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox X1 system integration thread

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by agv8or. (3 edits in all)

May 09, 2017 22:28 |  #1006

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18350607 (external link)
Something is amiss then with mine. When I change the XTR to a different group, and half press the test, the red light no longer lights up on the XTR and the AD360 does not go to OFF. Perhaps I need to send this back to Adorama, and get a different one.

When you half press the X1 "TEST" button the red light is not going to light up and no flashes should fire. Half pressing the "TEST" button only transfers info from the X1 to any flash unit receivers.

When you half press the X1 "TEST" button to transfer info or to lock in a setting then release the "TEST" button and do not fully depress it. If you fully depress the "TEST" button before releasing it after a half press, then settings may not be locked in or any information transferred.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links
agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 09, 2017 22:36 |  #1007

Like I stated in an earlier post. If half pressing the X1 "TEST" button does not lock in an X1 setting for a Group when selected in the XTR16 then you are having a communication issue between the XTR16 and X1. Shut down all flash units and the X1 and restart as I suggested in my previous post.

Rand

Gear

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,414 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

May 09, 2017 22:40 |  #1008

I have done all of that, and periodically the XTR will set accordingly, other times it won't.

I just did this test. I set X1 C to 1/64, D to ---, and E to 1/128. I flip the XTR to E, the AD360 shows 1/128. I flip to D, and half press, it does nothing. I flip to C, and half press, the AD shows 1/64. I go back to D, again nothing. But when I set X1 C to --- and half press, the AD goes to OFF.

Even turning off or detaching the XTR doesn't change the behavior. I might send this back to Adorama and try a new one. It shouldn't be this difficult or tedious to try to make it all work. There is no work using the Godox flash, everything works fine. I expect the same consistent behavior on a dedicated transmitter.

Thanks for all the help!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by agv8or. (4 edits in all)

May 09, 2017 23:05 |  #1009

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18350622 (external link)
I have done all of that, and periodically the XTR will set accordingly, other times it won't.

I just did this test. I set X1 C to 1/64, D to ---, and E to 1/128. I flip the XTR to E, the AD360 shows 1/128. I flip to D, and half press, it does nothing. I flip to C, and half press, the AD shows 1/64. I go back to D, again nothing. But when I set X1 C to --- and half press, the AD goes to OFF.

Even turning off or detaching the XTR doesn't change the behavior. I might send this back to Adorama and try a new one. It shouldn't be this difficult or tedious to try to make it all work. There is no work using the Godox flash, everything works fine. I expect the same consistent behavior on a dedicated transmitter.

Thanks for all the help!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Canon version of the X1 when using XTR16 receivers. I have been complaining about this issue to Godox since the XTR16's were released. Like I stated in my previous post there have been communication issues with the X1/XTR16 combo since day one and it appears that these issues have not been resolved with the newest firmware updates.

All I can offer is what I have stated so far in my previous posts. Changing a power setting or double pressing the "GR" button, when a Group is selected next to the White dot in the X1, should lock in a power setting. Half pressing the X1 "TEST" button should lock in Group "OFF" when it is selected in the X1 (the AD360 should then display "OF") or if making a Group change in the XTR16 half pressing the X1 "TEST" button should lock in the power setting in the X1 for that Group.

If you are following the procedures I describe above and have described in my previous posts and you do not lock in or transfer a power setting or fail to turn a Group "OFF" then you are experiencing a communication error. This communication issue persists in the Canon version X1 only, in spite of newer firmware updates, which has not addressed this issue it seems.

If the condition exists after following the shut down and reboot procedure I described previously then do as I do. I found that cussing and complaining to Godox does not fix this issue. When I use my Legacy flash units with the XTR16 receivers I either use an XT16 transmitter or the XT32 transmitter. On those very rare occasions, when I use the X1 and mix in my old CL360's/180's with my X system flash units then I use the 433MHz system for my Legacy flash units. I mount an FT16 transmitter in the hot shoe of the X1 and use the FTR16 receivers for my Legacy units and I control my X system flash units with the X1.

Edit: So don't sell or throw away your 433MHz transmitter and receivers just yet! :-)

Rand

Gear

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,415 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

May 10, 2017 00:00 |  #1010

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18350622 (external link)

Thanks for all the help!

Just for the heck of it, I broke out the XT32,. manual only, but ALL of this goes away.
With the XT32, when you set the channel to off,. you are done.
When you set it back on, you are done.

The "whole story" is sent to the XTR16 as you turn the dial. No need to press test,. it just happens.

However, when the XTR16 is set to channel A,. and you turn it to "B" it will not adopt the new settings from B unless you again use the test button.

I think the point here is that the dial on the XTR16 is not going to tell the transmitter on camera to resend the additional data. The communication is not two way.

I think I said this some time back, but it's true. If you don't need ETTL, the XT32 is a newer and more pleasant user experience with clearly some lessons learned after the X1. It would be nice to see it all rolled into one controller, but for now the XT32 is much more user friendly with the older manual lights.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
276 posts
Joined Dec 2015

May 10, 2017 01:55 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #1011

Just for the heck of it, I broke out the XT32,. manual only, but ALL of this goes away.

Ha. I just broke out *my* XT32 and came to much the same conclusion - it will reliably set an old AD360 with XTR16 to OFF when asked, unlike the X1T units, which will do it sometimes but not always.

BUT: I think I also discovered another fun X1 system bug, which makes the XT32 less attractive as a solution to X1 system flakiness syndrome.

Summary: Second-curtain sync is not possible when using an XT32 on a Canon 5D Mark III and a native 2.4 MHz Godox TTL speedlight (TT685 or V860II)

When using an X1T transmitter, 2nd-curtain sync is enabled via CF04 on the X1T unit itself.
When using an XT32 transmitter, 2nd-curtain sync is enabled via the camera menu (on a 5D3, External Speedlight Control ==> Flash function settings)

I tested with two TT600s, a V860II, a TT685, an AD360/XTR16 and an AD200.

With the X1T (and its CF04 set to on), 2nd-curtain sync worked perfectly with all flashes, in manual and TTL (where applicable).
With the XT32 (and 2nd-curtain sync enabled in-camera) it worked in all flashes except the TTL speedlights (TT685C and V860IIC)

Firmware:

XT32C: 17
TT685: 3.0
V860IIC: 1.3
5D3: 1.3.3

Can anyone else with an XT32C and a V860II or TT685 replicate the failure of 2nd-curtain sync with this combo?

Owen.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by agv8or.

May 10, 2017 02:32 |  #1012

owenegan wrote in post #18350687 (external link)
Ha. I just broke out *my* XT32 and came to much the same conclusion - it will reliably set an old AD360 with XTR16 to OFF when asked, unlike the X1T units, which will do it sometimes but not always.

BUT: I think I also discovered another fun X1 system bug, which makes the XT32 less attractive as a solution to X1 system flakiness syndrome.

Summary: Second-curtain sync is not possible when using an XT32 on a Canon 5D Mark III and a native 2.4 MHz Godox TTL speedlight (TT685 or V860II)

When using an X1T transmitter, 2nd-curtain sync is enabled via CF04 on the X1T unit itself.
When using an XT32 transmitter, 2nd-curtain sync is enabled via the camera menu (on a 5D3, External Speedlight Control ==> Flash function settings)

I tested with two TT600s, a V860II, a TT685, an AD360/XTR16 and an AD200.

With the X1T (and its CF04 set to on), 2nd-curtain sync worked perfectly with all flashes, in manual and TTL (where applicable).
With the XT32 (and 2nd-curtain sync enabled in-camera) it worked in all flashes except the TTL speedlights (TT685C and V860IIC)

Firmware:

XT32C: 17
TT685: 3.0
V860IIC: 1.3
5D3: 1.3.3

Can anyone else with an XT32C and a V860II or TT685 replicate the failure of 2nd-curtain sync with this combo?

Owen.

Wireless Second Curtain sync is not a Canon protocol thus there never has been a Wireless Second Curtain sync with any Canon Master Unit, Optical or RT. How the Phottix Odin, Yongnuo YN-E3-RT and Godox X1 are able to perform Wireless Second Curtain sync I am honestly not sure but they have done what Canon has never done.

When you place the XT32 in the hot shoe of the 5DmIII it thinks that it is a Speedlite and that is the only reason you are seeing Second Curtain sync in the flash menu. You'll notice that you are unable to enable Wireless in the flash menu when the XT32 is attached.

Rand

Gear

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,414 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

May 10, 2017 02:53 |  #1013

My issue is too consistent to be a communication issue though. 3 groups with 3 different values on the X1, and flipping the xtr between them and hitting test halfway yields the same results. Group C and E will set the correct value, D won't do anything until I change one of the others to off. It feels like a programming issue where they have an array index set incorrectly...

This is after resetting the units by powering down and back up. Same result over and over. :(

What I need is the bottom half of the 685 flash unit, it works well as a master wireless controller. Still a bit too bulky though.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by agv8or.

May 10, 2017 03:34 |  #1014

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18350694 (external link)
My issue is too consistent to be a communication issue though. 3 groups with 3 different values on the X1, and flipping the xtr between them and hitting test halfway yields the same results. Group C and E will set the correct value, D won't do anything until I change one of the others to off. It feels like a programming issue where they have an array index set incorrectly...

This is after resetting the units by powering down and back up. Same result over and over. :(

What I need is the bottom half of the 685 flash unit, it works well as a master wireless controller. Still a bit too bulky though.

Have you tried using just a single flash with only one XTR16 communicating with the X1?

Until tonight it has probably been over a year since I last tried using the Canon version X1 with the XTR16 receivers so I cannot remember all the different configurations I tried but, I was more than likely using multiple Cheetah Lights and XTR16's. Tonight I used the Canon X1 with a single CL360 communicating with a single XTR16 receiver. I messed with it for over an hour with no issues. So maybe it may be an issue when using more than one XTR16?

I do know that I had so many issues with the Canon X1 communicating with the XTR16 receivers that I switched to a Nikon X1 and then to the XT32 when it became available. I never had any issues with those transmitters communicating with the XTR16 receivers but, now I have enough AD360II's and AD600's that the Cheetah Lights and XTR16 receivers are just backups.

Rand

Gear

morenjavi
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2015

May 22, 2017 07:47 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1015

Hello,

Thanks to all the people posting here, good and valuable info. I think this is the correct thread for my problem.

At present I have an AD360 (mk I), AD200 and Ving850 (mk I). I use they only on M mode.

I have the FT16 (433Mhz) as controller, so I can fire and control the power. But I need to enable/disable flashes individually. Now I solve it using a set of RF605 for group controlling, so in fact I can fire my flashes using the FT-16 (all fired) or the RF605 (controlling groups). All my flashes have two receivers now.

But I liked to have only one controller to control power and fire only the selected groups, and change groups to be fired fast & easy. Surely I need new 2.4Ghz controllers, but not sure if any of XT16, XT32 or X1 could solve my needs:

* XT16, I know it can enable/disable groups by pressing '+' & '-' but, once you disable and enable a group, does the XT16 remember the previous power setting ? Do I have to put the power setting again after disabling a group?

*XT32, can disable/enable groups without turning the power to 0? Didn't found if the XT32 have a key combination to enable/disable groups.

*X1, I have read on this thread that this device still have some issues/bugs controlling flashes in manual mode with a XTR16 receiver. Also I don't need TTL, just manual mode.

My FT16 was broken last weekend so maybe it's an opportunity to get a better transmitter. Not sure if somebody that owns any of such transmitters can enligth me :).
Sorry if some questions have been answered yet, I searched the forums but didn't found the info.

Thanks in advance.

sporadic
559 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2008

May 22, 2017 08:54 |  #1016

morenjavi wrote in post #18360278 (external link)
Hello,
* XT16, I know it can enable/disable groups by pressing '+' & '-' but, once you disable and enable a group, does the XT16 remember the previous power setting ? Do I have to put the power setting again after disabling a group?

That's what I get for not reading all of the manual, wasn't aware you could do that. I have a XT16 and can test it this evening if no one responds before then.

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
7D | 300/4 L IS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,415 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 22, 2017 11:56 |  #1017

I'm not sure if the XT-32 has the group disabling feature you want,. ?

If it does, I'd go XT32 and add the 2.4Ghz USB dongle for the older AD360. The other units have the receiver built in.

XT32 for me has been best for manual control,. (also allows HSS)

Only if you want ETTL for your ETTL compatible lights should you bother with the X1, and as you say, even then, not the most well thought out transmitter.

When I get home, if no one else has provided and answer, I will try to figure out if my XT32 does what you want.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,415 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 22, 2017 12:18 |  #1018

re: Toggling XT-32 groups, I found this over at Flash havoc;

One cool feature is that double pressing the set button toggles a group on/off (sets the power to 0 then restores it to its previous value).

I thought I recalled this but again,. haven't used it enough to recall without it in my hands.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 22, 2017 12:34 |  #1019

morenjavi wrote in post #18360278 (external link)

*XT32, can disable/enable groups without turning the power to 0? Didn't found if the XT32 have a key combination to enable/disable groups.

*X1, I have read on this thread that this device still have some issues/bugs controlling flashes in manual mode with a XTR16 receiver. Also I don't need TTL, just manual mode.

XT16: When you turn a Group "OFF" pressing the "+"/"-" buttons simultaneously, you can only turn that Group back "ON" by using the "+" button and it starts at 1/128 power. There is no way that I have found to turn the Group back "ON" and restore the original power setting.

XT32: You can turn Groups "ON" or "OFF" individually by double pressing the "SET" button. The original flash power is restored when you turn the Group "ON".

Rand

Gear

morenjavi
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by morenjavi.

May 23, 2017 03:32 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1020

Rand, Jake and 'sporadic', thanks a lot for the help, It seems the XT32 is the way to go.
I have a Pentax camera (K3-II) so not sure if I could put C/N version directly on the camera's hotshoe, but a bit of tape can fix any problem ;-)a. Anyway, as the XT32 have a sync port, I have more options to use it.

BTW, anybody interested in a near mint condition FT-16, just lightly broken ? LOL. Last weekend, during a job, one of my cameras fell down to the floor and the FT-16 received the main damage, camera and lens are OK, thanks God. I was using a peak design capture to anchor the camera so I don't understand how happened. As I had a second transmitter (RF605), I could finish the job.

Regards,
Javier.

sponsored links

377,426 views & 390 likes for this thread
Godox X1 system integration thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.