Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 May 2017 (Tuesday) 10:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the better photo editing software for beginners ?

Mathmans
267 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mathmans.

May 25, 2017 03:49 as a reply to  @ post 18361862 |  #16

There is no »fix all with one click« software on the whole world. You need to learn at least basic software functions like you need to learn everything you do in your life. Life is a learning process.
I started with Corel Paint shop pro and later moved to Photoshop with it's ACR plugin (RAW converter).
At the moment I use: Photoshop+ACR, Lihtroom, DxO Optics Pro, Capture One Pro, Topaz Labs plugins, Imagenomic plugins and NIK plugins and I didn't get the knowledge how to use all this software during my night sleep. I had to learn.
When starting with Paint Shop I figured most functions by myself and the rest I got it from Google.
When I moved to Photoshop I knew the basics but I also had to learn because Paint Shop to Photoshop is not 1:1. I don't know all Photoshop functions and tricks but I know enough to get me where I want with my photos. And If I don't, I just type in the Google: »how you do this and that in Photoshop«.
There are also books and Youtube tutorials.
Photoshop is not hard to learn; you just need to put in some effort.

Lightroom is far from my favourite software but I guess it's a good start and it has most of the tools to get you from RAW to final photo. Later you can add Photoshop if you'll need it.
On the other side; ACR plugin for Photoshop has the same functions as Lightroom except catalogs. If you get Photoshop with ACR you can do the same and much more as with Lightroom.

There is also free photo software. If you find this software good enough for most of your wotk, then why not. It's free. You can try it and wipe it from your PC if you don't like it.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links
bones519
347 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 25, 2017 08:03 |  #17

I was somewhat lost with Lightroom and then I found Anthony Morganti's series of Lightroom tutorials on YouTube. They're very easy to follow, removed the question marks and sent me on my way. I would recommend to follow the series in order and pay attention to Cataloging.

As others have mentioned there are a lot more tutorials on YouTube. Lightroom is actually pretty easy to use but comes with a lot of hidden power. Once you get good with it, then perhaps branch out with Photoshop if you want more photo manipulation and rendering tools.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

May 25, 2017 18:58 |  #18

The OP describes himself as "I'm a beginner in photography. I'm just starting to learn."

So I would suggest that (assuming he is using a Windows computer) that he starts with something free, dead simple, and has a simple online tutorial available - Windows Photo Editor. Check out a tutorial at: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=QzyTT1a6ruk (external link)

Assuming he gets enthused about editing and wants something more, then he can start looking at GIMP, LR, PS etc., but I don't think is a good idea to start a novice in something like LR (which I use but found a PITA to learn) or GIMP.

Now, how about a comment fro the OP on what he has heard from us so far?

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,473 posts
Gallery: 632 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Azathoth.

May 26, 2017 07:12 |  #19

Lightroom. Learn how to crop, level photo, correct exposure and white balance, apply contrast, saturation and lift shadows. And apply sharpening. You don't need much more more than that.

Learn from the beggining how to use a proper software. Using a crappy one is a waste of time. And i don't recommend using GIMP, the interface is terrible.

Try a demo version and invest some time learning it.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,822 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 26, 2017 07:23 |  #20

Azathoth wrote in post #18363360 (external link)
Lightroom. Learn how to crop, level photo, correct exposure and white balance, apply contrast, saturation and lift shadows. And apply sharpening. You don't need much more more than that...

OP has already stated that they are looking to do more than simple adjustments. See post #11

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,887 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 26, 2017 08:11 |  #21

gjl711 wrote in post #18363366 (external link)
OP has already stated that they are looking to do more than simple adjustments. See post #11

Yes. Elements now, maybe Photoshop later.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,305 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 26, 2017 12:03 |  #22

Money and time not being an issue, why wouldn't a beginner want to learn the industry standard from the beginning rather than later? Photoshop! It is the "better photo editing software". If the question is..... what is an easy to learn photo editing software?, or what is an inexpensive photo editing software?, then many of these reponses make more sense.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,887 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 26, 2017 12:33 |  #23

texkam wrote in post #18363514 (external link)
Money and time not being an issue, why wouldn't a beginner want to learn the industry standard from the beginning rather than later? Photoshop! It is the "better photo editing software". If the question is..... what is an easy to learn photo editing software?, or what is an inexpensive photo editing software?, then many of these reponses make more sense.

The OP indicated he'd already tried Photoshop.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

May 26, 2017 12:43 |  #24

RDKirk wrote in post #18363535 (external link)
The OP indicated he'd already tried Photoshop.

The OP had come across some Avanquest (French firm, I think) software ... Photo Clip (?) ... that appears to provide 'beginner-oriented' tools for adding/removing significant elements of images. It is hard to find any independent reviews of Avanquest's photo software. My guess is that it will be easy to use but that it will provide only for limited user input and not allow much control.

It's not especially cheap.

OP was looking for advice on this software in particular.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 26, 2017 21:16 |  #25

Affinity Photo does what photoshop does for a lot less money. It is also a bit easier to use than photoshop.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,015 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 26, 2017 21:40 |  #26

teekay wrote in post #18363071 (external link)
The OP describes himself as "I'm a beginner in photography. I'm just starting to learn."

So I would suggest that (assuming he is using a Windows computer) that he starts with something free, dead simple, and has a simple online tutorial available - Windows Photo Editor. Check out a tutorial at: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=QzyTT1a6ruk (external link)

Assuming he gets enthused about editing and wants something more, then he can start looking at GIMP, LR, PS etc., but I don't think is a good idea to start a novice in something like LR (which I use but found a PITA to learn) or GIMP.

I agree. OP should start with something simple. OP has indicated he/she wants an easy editor and yet will allow removing objects, etc. Those needs are a bit in conflict. So a choice has to be made. I would agree with something like Windows Photo Editor or Irfanview that will allow changing brightness, color, contrast, cropping, rotating, and so on. For removing objects, Elements or Photoshop would be much better, but that does not go with the need for something simple.

I use Lightroom for almost all my editing, and find it fast and simple. But it was not always so. I also recall a steep learning curve of at least a year or two. Now, 10 years later, I am still discovering new things about LR. It is a powerful editor, but is hard to learn, and isn't even a good tool for local editing and removing objects. (It also does cataloging, but that is a minor thing for me.) So I would not recommend LR as a simple editor, but as something to consider for later.

Now, how about a comment fro the OP on what he has heard from us so far?

Yes, a bit of feedback from the OP would be useful.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,292 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 27, 2017 06:03 |  #27

I am surprised to read MS Photo Editor is still around. I thought it went away with Windows 2000. Is it available for Window 7? If so, where can I find it?

bones519
347 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 27, 2017 06:25 |  #28

Sibil wrote in post #18364045 (external link)
I am surprised to read MS Photo Editor is still around. I thought it went away with Windows 2000. Is it available for Window 7? If so, where can I find it?

teekay and Archibald are referring to Windows 10 Photo Editor (included with the OS) and not the old MS Office Photo Editor.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,292 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 27, 2017 08:15 |  #29

bones519 wrote in post #18364053 (external link)
teekay and Archibald are referring to Windows 10 Photo Editor (included with the OS) and not the old MS Office Photo Editor.

Got it. Thank you.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,360 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

May 27, 2017 10:51 |  #30

A program like Photoshop is today a multiple of capabilities...

1. convert RAW files to 16-bit workspace (using ACR), for adjustment before outputting JPG or TIFF files for printing or web display
  2. edit images and graphics at pixel level detail, and use of other graphic art tools like adding text, pixel manipulation/replaceme​nt in JPG files
  3. basic photo database tools (using Bridge)

Photoshop Elements can do #1 and #2 with less powerful tools than full-blown Photoshop, for a whole lot less expense than Photoshop.
Corel Paintshop Pro is the non-Adobe equivalent to Elements.
Way back decades ago, Photoshop was a graphic arts toolkit with some photo editing capability, which did only #2; #1 and #3 were added much later, with the ACR and Bridge module additions.
Lightroom is a photographer's toolkit, and somewhat like Photoshop, with #1 and a much more powerful #3 than Photoshop has, but you need another program to do #2

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

6,497 views & 15 likes for this thread
What is the better photo editing software for beginners ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.