Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9 Announced

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,043 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 10, 2017 12:52 |  #256

stanwelks wrote in post #18351087 (external link)
Why will pulling a still off a 4K clip only result in a .jpg? Isn't there a way to do it in a video editing program and export higher quality? Regardless, I didn't think about the benefit of shooting RAW and shutter speed issues with taking stills...

Thanks.

The video is not RAW, so no way to pull a real raw from it.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by EOS-Mike.

May 11, 2017 20:11 |  #257

I read about half this thread. Not sure if I'm covering new ground, but here goes:

This camera will revolutionize many industries. As soon as I read the announcement a few weeks ago I knew Sony was going to win big with this one. Only if there's a technical glitch will this thing fail. Here's why:

* The film and television industry is going to drop everything for this machine. I'm talking about unit still photographers. There's one on every single TV show and film. They are ghosts on the set. Barely seen, and NEVER heard. The evolution/revolution is already taking hold because of mirrorless, and the A9 was already invented in the minds of each unit still photographer. They used to use big DSLRs with unwieldy, heavy sound blimps. Imagine going from that to a compact A9. Heaven. The sound blimps were a grand, not counting each tube that you needed for each lens. Many settings had to be configured ahead of time with the lid open and, yada yada: sound blimps are annoying, but were a necessity.

* The Sony A7s was the first step for unit still photographers. Finally a full-frame camera that was 100% quiet. Sure, iphones are quiet, and many point and shoots, but the biggest obstacle on set is light. The photographer never gets to choose the light, so flash is out of the question (remember, they have to be ghosts). The A7s and A7sII had a silent shutter mode that didn't cause distortion. So, problems solved, right? Well....not exactly. The A7s and A7sII were fantastic in low light and were 100% silent, but they were only 12mp of resolution. So making billboards is more of a challenge, and 12mp doesn't give much room to crop. Better get a lot of telephoto primes or hope your zoom can nail the shot.

(Side note: Grabbing a still from video can't compete with the quality of a still from a dslr/mirrorless, and the stills need to be perfect for the movie posters, magazine ads, etc.).

* A couple facebook friends of mine shoot as unit still photographers. They immediately dumped their Canikon gear for the Sony A7s series. Interestingly, though, one of my friends recently jumped into the Fuji system as well: Fuji X-T2. Why? Silence AND higher resolution (24mp). It works in many situations, and when it gets dark the Sonys take over.

* And that brings us to the A9. Is it full frame? Yes. Does it shoot a boatload of photos per second? Yes. It it higher resolution? Sure is. Is it silent? 100%.

It will become the number one stills camera in the industry before the end of the year. I guarantee it.

And, if the members of the various pres corps are wise, they will get one as well before they are made to. Listen to a Whitehouse press conference (or any press conference for politics, sports, etc.). It sounds like a classroom of kids playing with bubble wrap. That needs to stop.

I don't believe this thing will make much of a difference in sports (with a couple exceptions--golf, tennis, gymnastics and more), but in Hollywood it will own the day.

I want one. Can't afford one, but it would be nice.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

May 12, 2017 05:29 |  #258

EOS-Mike wrote in post #18352349 (external link)
I read about half this thread. Not sure if I'm covering new ground, but here goes:

This camera will revolutionize many industries. As soon as I read the announcement a few weeks ago I knew Sony was going to win big with this one. Only if there's a technical glitch will this thing fail. Here's why:

* The film and television industry is going to drop everything for this machine. I'm talking about unit still photographers. There's one on every single TV show and film. They are ghosts on the set. Barely seen, and NEVER heard. The evolution/revolution is already taking hold because of mirrorless, and the A9 was already invented in the minds of each unit still photographer. They used to use big DSLRs with unwieldy, heavy sound blimps. Imagine going from that to a compact A9. Heaven. The sound blimps were a grand, not counting each tube that you needed for each lens. Many settings had to be configured ahead of time with the lid open and, yada yada: sound blimps are annoying, but were a necessity.

* The Sony A7s was the first step for unit still photographers. Finally a full-frame camera that was 100% quiet. Sure, iphones are quiet, and many point and shoots, but the biggest obstacle on set is light. The photographer never gets to choose the light, so flash is out of the question (remember, they have to be ghosts). The A7s and A7sII had a silent shutter mode that didn't cause distortion. So, problems solved, right? Well....not exactly. The A7s and A7sII were fantastic in low light and were 100% silent, but they were only 12mp of resolution. So making billboards is more of a challenge, and 12mp doesn't give much room to crop. Better get a lot of telephoto primes or hope your zoom can nail the shot.

(Side note: Grabbing a still from video can't compete with the quality of a still from a dslr/mirrorless, and the stills need to be perfect for the movie posters, magazine ads, etc.).

* A couple facebook friends of mine shoot as unit still photographers. They immediately dumped their Canikon gear for the Sony A7s series. Interestingly, though, one of my friends recently jumped into the Fuji system as well: Fuji X-T2. Why? Silence AND higher resolution (24mp). It works in many situations, and when it gets dark the Sonys take over.

* And that brings us to the A9. Is it full frame? Yes. Does it shoot a boatload of photos per second? Yes. It it higher resolution? Sure is. Is it silent? 100%.

It will become the number one stills camera in the industry before the end of the year. I guarantee it.

And, if the members of the various pres corps are wise, they will get one as well before they are made to. Listen to a Whitehouse press conference (or any press conference for politics, sports, etc.). It sounds like a classroom of kids playing with bubble wrap. That needs to stop.

I don't believe this thing will make much of a difference in sports (with a couple exceptions--golf, tennis, gymnastics and more), but in Hollywood it will own the day.

I want one. Can't afford one, but it would be nice.

I agree with this completely. While it was associated with sports/wildlife and thus critically panned because it doesn't have long sports glass, I feel like it was incorrectly marketed. Yes the standout feature is the 20 FPS and that's a sports/action shooter draw. But like Mike said the silent shooting is good for a huge audience. The parent taking pictures of their kids At the school play. Not only do they bring their Canon Rebel with flappy mirror and shoot on auto which means that silly pop up flash popping up and blinding kids. But multiple that by 10 and it's annoying. Or trying to take pictures at a golf tournament. Obviously can't while the payer is swinging with a traditional dslr, but it's possible with this (though I'm not sure you'd get the chance since tournament officials might not be aware of the silent shooting). Or especially wedding shooters. I know a lot of friends who are wedding shooters who get a ton of heat from priests and other officials when they're clacking away with their D5's.

If you're a wedding shooter your desired lenses are already out (24-70, 70-200, 85 1.4, 35 1.4, macro). Sure you might not ever use the 20fps, but outside of that this seems like the ideal camera. An a9r doesn't make sense since it'll be much larger files, the a9s might not make sense since it'll be even lower res. And an a7iii might not have the pro features that the a9 has. One of my closest friends is getting 2x a9 for his wedding work since he's shooting wih the a7rII and his common complaints is the large file size, the lack of dual card slots, and the difficulty in moving af points. The a9 fixes all of his complaints with a more manageable file size, dual card slots, and af joystick and touch screen. And for most users the buffer issue is overblown, not often will you shoot for 12 seconds at full burst.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,399 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

May 14, 2017 19:23 |  #259

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18332111 (external link)
Canon and Nikon both are having emergency WTF are we going to do meetings right now.

Completely doubt that imaginative dream. Canon and Nikon have been watching Sony for years, just as Sony has been watching them. They know Sony's rate of progress, so whatever their plan is, it's going to be more along the lines of some game plan already in the works, however slow is may seem to happen outwardly.

As far as this camera goes, it looks like it would be fun to use, if I was starting an entire system from scratch.

But if I tossed aside over 10K worth of Canon and lenses for Sony and whatever lenses and adapters they put in front of me, what kind of customer service and gear changes will I be facing in 3 years?

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 15, 2017 07:49 |  #260

mdvaden wrote in post #18354708 (external link)
Completely doubt that imaginative dream. Canon and Nikon have been watching Sony for years, just as Sony has been watching them. They know Sony's rate of progress, so whatever their plan is, it's going to be more along the lines of some game plan already in the works, however slow is may seem to happen outwardly.

As far as this camera goes, it looks like it would be fun to use, if I was starting an entire system from scratch.

But if I tossed aside over 10K worth of Canon and lenses for Sony and whatever lenses and adapters they put in front of me, what kind of customer service and gear changes will I be facing in 3 years?

That will depend on the success of their system.

While it's true that this camera is a big deal, everyone knows that Canon products are very easy to find. For professionals, that's essential.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,399 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by mdvaden.

May 15, 2017 16:54 |  #261

EOS-Mike wrote in post #18355044 (external link)
That will depend on the success of their system.

While it's true that this camera is a big deal, everyone knows that Canon products are very easy to find. For professionals, that's essential.

I find the waiting game intriguing, but I'm also very patient. I don't buy-in to the idea that Canon or Nikon are just sitting on their ass ignorantly, nor a couple of other manufacturers. But I'm still curious to see at which point in time other manufacturers start taking heavier blows at Sony's recent product line. Along the lines of what you said, Canon, like Nikon, is easy to find, deal with, and predictable. There's little gamble with it.

One this is certain, even if Canon and Nikon had put out similar mirrorless already, they would have lost a percentage to Sony anyway, and would have put another dent in their own DSLR sales.

Sony's mirrorless stuff is actually not super innovative. It's old technology to Sony, Canon and Nikon, except Sony is marketing the more recent end of the matter. Although it could become an expense, Canon and Nikon could be using Sony as a guinea pig to study the market, consumer reactions and strength or weakness of customer commitment. We know Sony made some big Boo-Boo's too, and only Sony gets the lashes for it's own mistakes. Including Canon lenses not working reliable at all focal lenses when adapted.

I find the whole matter more educational and entertaining than worrisome or irritating.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 24, 2017 10:17 |  #262
bannedPermanent ban

In stock, order sent to warehouse
1 product in this order
Expedited Delivery

:p

Gear List

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 25, 2017 16:13 |  #263

Hi all.

So i managed to pick up the New Sony A9 today and did a quick unboxing video of it.

I have not even turned the camera on as i only had time to record and edit this video.

I will be sure to test out its many features.

Any specific things you want me to test, let me know

Video below. Give it a couple of minutes at the time of posting this until it is live on the link provided!

https://youtu.be/Z-VSN3s9DRA (external link)

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

May 25, 2017 16:24 |  #264

mdvaden wrote in post #18355507 (external link)
I find the waiting game intriguing, but I'm also very patient. I don't buy-in to the idea that Canon or Nikon are just sitting on their ass ignorantly, nor a couple of other manufacturers. But I'm still curious to see at which point in time other manufacturers start taking heavier blows at Sony's recent product line. Along the lines of what you said, Canon, like Nikon, is easy to find, deal with, and predictable. There's little gamble with it.

One this is certain, even if Canon and Nikon had put out similar mirrorless already, they would have lost a percentage to Sony anyway, and would have put another dent in their own DSLR sales.

Sony's mirrorless stuff is actually not super innovative. It's old technology to Sony, Canon and Nikon, except Sony is marketing the more recent end of the matter. Although it could become an expense, Canon and Nikon could be using Sony as a guinea pig to study the market, consumer reactions and strength or weakness of customer commitment. We know Sony made some big Boo-Boo's too, and only Sony gets the lashes for it's own mistakes. Including Canon lenses not working reliable at all focal lenses when adapted.

I find the whole matter more educational and entertaining than worrisome or irritating.

I'm hoping that this camera is a big success and that the early adopters taking delivery of it over the next few days all get a whole lot of satisfaction from owning and using it.

I'm not a Sony shooter, nor am I even slightly tempted (yet), but I know that it's got to be a good thing if/when innovative/capable new cameras hit the market ... no matter what the brand.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,118 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 25, 2017 17:05 |  #265

jonneymendoza wrote in post #18362957 (external link)
Hi all.

So i managed to pick up the New Sony A9 today and did a quick unboxing video of it.

I have not even turned the camera on as i only had time to record and edit this video.

I will be sure to test out its many features.

Any specific things you want me to test, let me know

Video below. Give it a couple of minutes at the time of posting this until it is live on the link provided!

https://youtu.be/Z-VSN3s9DRA (external link)

How bad is Banding with the Eshutter + artificial lights?

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

May 25, 2017 18:38 |  #266

mdvaden wrote in post #18355507 (external link)

Sony has no incentive nor responsibility to make Canon glass work effectively on their system. It's through reverse engineering of 3rd parties that's even possible. Can't fault Sony for not ensuring that Canon lenses work well. Sure having good reliability makes brand switching easier, but for ever a Canon glass adapted means one less native lens sold. I can't think of another brand that has a stacked sensor, has something with no blackout, something with 93% coverage in AF points, etc. It may not seem groundbreaking but we're at a time of diminishing returns with technology, it takes more and more to completely "wow" us. The iPhone was revolutionary. Now with each model? Ehh, not so much.

Every brand makes head scratching decisions. Canon for huge crop with the 5DIV and lack of 4K in consumer line products, Nikon for making a ode camera like the D7500 and omitting a second card slot and other decisions, Panasonic for not using PDAF for video AF, and Sony for not having a 2nd UHS-II as a minimum or XQD, not better using touch screen, and not having a fully articulating screen option.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,118 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 25, 2017 18:58 |  #267

A9 reviews trickling in, great looking model to boot

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by nekrosoft13.

May 25, 2017 20:01 |  #268
bannedPermanent ban

Canon 500mm big white on a9

https://youtu.be/GjPHz​e8dOCE (external link)

Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 26, 2017 00:21 |  #269

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18363104 (external link)
Canon 500mm big white on a9

https://youtu.be/GjPHz​e8dOCE (external link)

Cool video! It does appear to maintain 20 FPS, or close to it, even while focus tracking.

I am surprised that the A9 made so much noise when it was shooting - I thought that all mirrorless cameras were completely silent. I wonder if anything can be done to silence all that shutter noise.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 26, 2017 00:36 |  #270
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18363235 (external link)
Cool video! It does appear to maintain 20 FPS, or close to it, even while focus tracking.

I am surprised that the A9 made so much noise when it was shooting - I thought that all mirrorless cameras were completely silent. I wonder if anything can be done to silence all that shutter noise.

you can turn on shutter sound if you want or you can turn it off.

and all mirrorless cameras are not silent, they still have shutters, a9 is first camera that doesn't need to use physical shutter.

Gear List

sponsored links

35,963 views & 178 likes for this thread
Sony A9 Announced
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.