Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2017 (Saturday) 02:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5diii Menu Problem after firmware update

Karrie63
Hatchling
8 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2017

May 27, 2017 02:15 |  #1

Hi all, I received my 5diii back from sensor cleaning and firmware update. I expected the settings to be changed but not what I actually found. The menu button only brings up a few items (3) and only when in A mode. On all the other modes, the screen shows nothing. I am unable to find anything online except advice to reset to factory settings - I can't do that because I don't have access to the menus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My Idsiii came back from the same service with no problems.

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 27, 2017 04:50 |  #2

Karrie63 wrote in post #18363978 (external link)
Hi all, I received my 5diii back from sensor cleaning and firmware update. I expected the settings to be changed but not what I actually found. The menu button only brings up a few items (3) and only when in A mode. On all the other modes, the screen shows nothing. I am unable to find anything online except advice to reset to factory settings - I can't do that because I don't have access to the menus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My Idsiii came back from the same service with no problems.

Have you tried contacting the service centre.

I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 27, 2017 05:45 |  #3

Sounds like they didn't take it out of diagnostics mode or it is in some sort of tech mode. Frustrating... :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Karrie63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2017

May 27, 2017 05:54 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #4

I will call them on Monday when open again. Was hoping maybe there was just a setting or something I missed.

Karrie63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2017

May 27, 2017 06:00 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #5

Very frustrating and a bit scary too.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,263 posts
Joined May 2003

May 27, 2017 06:17 |  #6

Have you tried removing the backup battery? From the "sticky" at https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205511

5D, 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III - The small memory battery for these models is not located alongside the main/rechargeable battery. It's in a tray located on the left hand side of the camera, right near the bottom of the rubber covers over the USB, PC, etc. sockets. Lift those covers out of the way, then look for a small screw. You need a precision Phillips screwdriver (probably size 0) to remove that retaining screw, before you can slide out the tray and access the battery. Be very careful not to lose the tiny screw!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

May 27, 2017 06:28 |  #7

There is nothing you can do to cause the menu to not show up, unless the service center didn't turn off their diagnostics mode. The backup battery only stores clock and minimal user settings. It can't hurt, but I doubt it will help.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Karrie63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2017

May 27, 2017 06:50 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #8

I tried that along with removing the battery pack - no luck. I am also thinking it is still in diagnostic mode. I will get in touch with the repairers next week.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

May 27, 2017 07:15 as a reply to  @ Karrie63's post |  #9

Was this a Canon facility or a 3rd party shop? Hopefully the former and not the latter. In the future I would do firmware updates myself and don't have anyone other than an official Canon shop do that update. It is very trivial to perform. Usually Canon cameras in diagnostic modes will still show a menu, but it will be a different menu than what you are accustomed to. This sounds like no menu at all other than in green box mode? What are the menu options that do show up?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,263 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by John from PA.

May 27, 2017 08:43 |  #10

Keep us posted. Indications at https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/2993659​5 (external link) would seem to indicate, at least with the 1DIII an individual personally can't get it out of diagnostic mode and will have to return it. Probably true of the 5DIII as well.

Karrie63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2017

May 27, 2017 18:15 |  #11

The work was done by a very reputable Canon agent. Will keep u guys updated on the outcome after speaking with them. Thanks for all the replies.

Karrie63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2017

May 28, 2017 21:14 |  #12

So it turned out that after the Firmware Upgrade, the Vello Grip I have been using locked up the camera when switched on. First time the guys came across that situation. Until I replace the grip with a Canon one, I will use the grip in the off position - I only really use it to give me a bit of balance with long lenses. What a relieve!!

sponsored links

2,926 views & 0 likes for this thread
5diii Menu Problem after firmware update
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.