Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 May 2017 (Saturday) 15:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is Flickr Posterizing my images?

calypsob
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 27, 2017 15:16 |  #1

I just got done uploading an image and was disappointed to see yet again that flickr is posterizing my data. Why does this happen? Is there a way to avoid this ? Is see it mostly in the shadows to the right of the center down in the mountain area.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4199/34930866035_c7e83ff776_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VdHP​uX  (external link) Killer Sunset from the Blue Ridge Parkway (external link) by Wes Schwarz (external link), on Flickr

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,143 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 27, 2017 15:36 |  #2

calypsob wrote in post #18364363 (external link)
I just got done uploading an image and was disappointed to see yet again that flickr is posterizing my data. Why does this happen? Is there a way to avoid this ? Is see it mostly in the shadows to the right of the center down in the mountain area.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VdHP​uX  (external link) Killer Sunset from the Blue Ridge Parkway (external link) by Wes Schwarz (external link), on Flickr

Can you show us the image before you uploaded it to Flickr so that we have something to compare it to.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 27, 2017 18:07 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #3

https://drive.google.c​om …h479N_kZr6dTkzZ​lhwdUJwLTg (external link) here is a psd

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,586 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 27, 2017 20:15 |  #4

I think John wanted the actual file you uploaded to Flickr.

(You didn't upload that massive PSD, did you?? That might explain a great deal, if you did.)

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Peano
Goldmember
1,692 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Peano. (4 edits in all)

May 28, 2017 09:10 |  #5

I downloaded your linked image and opened it in Photoshop so I could zoom in, and I really am not seeing any posterization. Your image is a bit out of focus, but I don't see any stepwise gradients like this. [EDIT: Also downloaded your PSD file and compared it with the Flickr image; the only difference I see is that the Flickr image isn't quite as sharp -- and it's downsized, of course. As a side note, it might be a good idea to use sRGB instead of Adobe RGB when uploading for web viewing.]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose.

May 28, 2017 10:06 |  #6

It could be that you're seeing differences in color between the web and Photoshop. The short answer is to convert and preview your image in sRGB colorspace while in Photoshop. The long answer is that web browsers are starting to accept ICC color profiles, and are starting to accept other colorspaces. Flickr may only accept sRGB still.

web browser color management guide (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 28, 2017 22:37 as a reply to  @ Damo77's post |  #7

no I uploaded a jpeg, I dont think flickr would produce and image with a psd

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 28, 2017 22:38 as a reply to  @ Peano's post |  #8

I see some large chunky things going on in the shadows mid center to the mountains. Maybe it is simply a jpeg artifact.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 28, 2017 22:39 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #9

I always save jpeg to srgb.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,586 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 28, 2017 23:10 |  #10

calypsob wrote in post #18365329 (external link)
no I uploaded a jpeg

Ok, great! Then may we see that?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 29, 2017 10:05 |  #11

calypsob wrote in post #18365331 (external link)
I always save jpeg to srgb.

Are you sure you proof in sRGB?

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Peano
Goldmember
1,692 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 29, 2017 11:08 |  #12

calypsob wrote in post #18365330 (external link)
I see some large chunky things going on in the shadows mid center to the mountains. Maybe it is simply a jpeg artifact.

Yes, I think you're seeing jpeg artifacts (blocking) in the shadows. That's pretty common in shots like this. Here's a section zoomed at 1600 percent with contrast exaggerated to bring out the artifacts.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,408 views & 2 likes for this thread
Why is Flickr Posterizing my images?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.