Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 May 2017 (Sunday) 14:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera ban coming?

Steve ­ M
169 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

May 28, 2017 14:57 |  #1

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I found this discussion on the BBC with regards to a general ban on all electronics except for cell phones in the cabin. Not a good thing for those of us who want to take our good gear overseas.

http://www.bbc.com/new​s/world-us-canada-39336518 (external link)

Embrace those who seek the truth; run from those who claim to have found it.

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,408 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 28, 2017 15:06 |  #2

Steve M wrote in post #18365013 (external link)
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I found this discussion on the BBC with regards to a general ban on all electronics except for cell phones in the cabin. Not a good thing for those of us who want to take our good gear overseas.

http://www.bbc.com/new​s/world-us-canada-39336518 (external link)

Well if you are flying British Airways I wouldn't worry about it. They don't seem to be able to fly at the minute.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,010 posts
Gallery: 1466 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 28, 2017 15:12 |  #3

I've refused to fly since early 2000's. Back in the 80's & 90's it was a pleasure to fly. Now, I can't stomach it, being squished in, waiting forever, being treated like some kind of criminal, it's like a modern bovine slaughter house. Just to go from one state to another, or sometimes, from one end of the same state to the other. I just drive these days. Sigh...

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,332 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

May 28, 2017 15:39 |  #4

Hard not to fly when the destination is Botswana for instance,.

I moved to General talk as this impacts lots of photo genres, including in my case, wildlife.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,276 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

May 28, 2017 15:57 |  #5

OLD NEWS that electronics are banned when flights originated in the Middle East countries listed. What has been recently under consideration is the possibility that all flights originating in EU having a similar ban!

On May 17, American and European officials met in Brussels to discuss the Trump administration’s proposed ban on laptops and tablets on trans-Atlantic flights, and according to reports, but the fortunate outcome was that the measure for flights from EU to be affected won’t be implemented anytime soon.

A joint statement from the European Commission and the Department of Homeland Security said officials will meet again next week in Washington, DC “to further assess shared risks and solutions for protecting airline passengers, whilst ensuring the smooth functioning of global air travel.” I don't think the issue is fully put to bed.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by Bassat.

May 28, 2017 16:23 |  #6

Eventually... no baggage, and everyone flies naked. Won't stop some German pilot from flying you into a mountain though.

You can die at home in a rocking chair. Most of us worry way too much about things with infinitesimal chances of actually happening. I get a real kick out of my mother in law wearing her seat belt, while smoking. THAT is funny. I believe it is about 30% of all automobile passengers will be in an accident in their lifetimes. About 95% of lung cancer victims are smokers.

With respect to flying, you take the same chance of dying every time you drive 13 miles, or board a commercial airliner. Lots of people won't fly. My guess is all of them regularly drive 13 miles.

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

May 28, 2017 16:48 |  #7

Bassat wrote in post #18365073 (external link)
Eventually... no baggage, and everyone flies naked.

Without naming names or pointing fingers, I'm sure that policy change is right up SOMEBODY'S alley. ;-)a

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,396 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 28, 2017 17:36 |  #8

Deja vu! Not so long time ago similar threads happen. I don't mind mobile phone and my no electronics film Leica.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Gallery: 994 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 28, 2017 17:39 |  #9

More comprehensive ban? All USA international flights? I don't see how something in the hold is safer, except perhaps the detectors are possibly better for finding a device.

Link here: https://www.bloomberg.​com …tional-flights-kelly-says (external link)

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

May 28, 2017 20:45 |  #10

Baggage 'handlers' manage to break anything that goes in the hold!

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2017 22:08 |  #11

Spacemunkie wrote in post #18365259 (external link)
Baggage 'handlers' manage to break anything that goes in the hold!

That is why I don't bring clothes to wear on my trip. I bring multi-purpose padding that I can later reuse as clothes.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Ah-keong
940 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

May 28, 2017 22:41 |  #12

I need a camera!

smaller than my cell phone. Yeah!!

:-D

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm | Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 29, 2017 07:08 |  #13

Bassat wrote in post #18365073 (external link)
...and everyone flies naked. .

That will still leave a hiding place or two. The primary one about halfway down the body.

I do NOT want to stand in line and watch TSA probing that hiding place.

Website (external link) |

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,408 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 29, 2017 10:37 |  #14

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18365532 (external link)
That will still leave a hiding place or two. The primary one about halfway down the body.

Well I think I would rather stand in line and watch then be the one being probed. But each to their own I suppose, each to their own.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2017 12:04 |  #15

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18365532 (external link)

john crossley wrote in post #18365672 (external link)
Well I think I would rather stand in line and watch then be the one being probed. But each to their own I suppose, each to their own.

Maybe that rather controversial reviewer of cameras knows something after all?:rolleyes:

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

3,228 views & 4 likes for this thread
Camera ban coming?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.