Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 May 2017 (Saturday) 13:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any thoughts on the new topaz Studio app?

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 27, 2017 13:27 |  #1

They are offering a presale/prerelease value for $70 to stakeholders. But the money is for 24 "adjustments". Any ideas that this is not just an "instagram" treatment?

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,719 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

May 29, 2017 16:35 |  #2

If you add it to your cart, you will get an itemized list of the adjustments, with links to an explanation of each one. Here is a list:

Adjustment Pro Pack
Reduce Noise
Precision Contrast
Color Theme
HSL Color Tuning
Black and White
Sharpen
DeHaze
Bloom
Focal Blur
Edge Exposure
Radiance
Smudge
Abstraction
Texture

I do not know what each one does, etc. just passing the info along. It's an a la carte way to purchase processing tools above and beyond the free ones in Studio.

Kirk

Kirk
---

bpiper7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 29, 2017 21:31 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #3

Thanks, Kirk.

I might have known you'd come through. this is what it felt like. An instagram type quickset. I suspect i can do all that with the suite of their plugins I already have.

thanks for doing the research.

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 30, 2017 07:20 |  #4

Been following the thread. Thanks Kirk, good info.

My question is / was whether they were going to go the way of ON1 and roll all of their existing suite of effects into one large raw package.

It doesn't look like it in this iteration, but that doesn't mean their long term plans are not so.

I don't see anything in that list that interest me, and as far as raw conversion goes, acr with the 2012 engine is just fine for me.

I ain't going to spring for it, discounted or not.

Thanks for taking the time.

Website (external link) |

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,719 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2017 13:54 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #5

The impression I get is that the Studio app is a free, very basic image editing "studio" - they give you some free controls like exposure and white balance adjustment. Then, you pay on an a la carte basis, for tools like sharpening, noise reduction, clarity, etc. - these get added in as modules to the free studio app, giving you more advanced controls. I imagine they will also sell filters or looks presets, and packs of them, but the looks or presets may require certain tools, which you may have to buy as well.

So, some of it may be like instagram filters, but much of the Pro pack are tools that are beyond the very basic set in the free studio app.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,669 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any thoughts on the new topaz Studio app?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.