Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 22 Aug 2016 (Monday) 22:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

August, 2017 Total solar eclipse. Too soon to start planning?

sporadic
580 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2008

May 29, 2017 08:46 as a reply to  @ post 18365528 |  #61

I clips into the Cokin holder, so its well secured. That was a crop, here's the full frame:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | X-T3 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
Fringer EF-FX Pro
7D | 300/4 L IS

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 29, 2017 08:52 as a reply to  @ sporadic's post |  #62

Good deal , since it was cropped it looks like if you take the filter off during the 2 min window you should have no problem picking up all the corona . Good luck , look forward to pictures afterwards the event .

jkokbaker
554 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by jkokbaker.

Jun 05, 2017 13:40 as a reply to  @ Celestron's post |  #63

Has anybody bought and used the new Lee Solar Filter?

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Celestron.

Jun 05, 2017 14:12 |  #64

jkokbaker wrote in post #18371618 (external link)
Has anybody bought and used the new Lee Solar Filter?

Have you done any research on these filters and brand ? Might want to check this out :

Prior to the event, we recommend following one of the many online guides to shooting an eclipse and practising in advance in order to calculate your exposures and ensure the best possible results.
•Designed especially for photographing solar eclipses or the surface of the sun
•Not suitable for long-exposure landscape photography
Not intended as a viewing filter for solar events
Never look through the filter directly at the sun, as there is a risk of severe eye damage.

http://www.leefilters.​com/index.php/camera/f​ilters (external link)

jkokbaker
554 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 05, 2017 15:15 as a reply to  @ Celestron's post |  #65

It's a brand new filter, with no reviews. All those disclaimers are the reason why I'm asking if anybody has used it. If I can get some reviews from real world use it might put my questions to bed.

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 05, 2017 16:52 |  #66

jkokbaker wrote in post #18371699 (external link)
It's a brand new filter, with no reviews. All those disclaimers are the reason why I'm asking if anybody has used it. If I can get some reviews from real world use it might put my questions to bed.

Being new until some positive reviews come out I wouldn't waist my money on it .

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 08, 2017 13:32 |  #67

For anyone using software, I'm confused about the camera connection required. I heard the standard USB cable will cause too much delay. People recommended using the Shoestring adapters, but they seem to also be USB. Not sure what I really need to get at this point.

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's
My Smugmug (external link) | Flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,863 posts
Gallery: 2026 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 08, 2017 13:38 |  #68

timeasterday wrote in post #18374015 (external link)
For anyone using software, I'm confused about the camera connection required. I heard the standard USB cable will cause too much delay. People recommended using the Shoestring adapters, but they seem to also be USB. Not sure what I really need to get at this point.

USB is fine.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TCampbell
452 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 09, 2017 18:28 as a reply to  @ timeasterday's post |  #69

There aren't any delay issues with USB per se... the issue is "bulb" mode. If you put a camera in manual mode and tell it to take ... say ... a 1/100th sec exposure, you'll find that you got a 1/100th sec exposure. But if you put the camera into "bulb" mode and try to take a 1/100th sec exposure you'll find the results are wildly varying even from shot to shot. But "bulb" mode is really meant for long exposures (many seconds... usually more than 30) so an error of a part of a second has no noticeable effect on the image.

The more significant issue is the accuracy of the prediction software.

The "Diamond Ring" effect should be shot maybe 9 seconds prior to totality (aka "C2" or second contact time) and the "Baily's Beads" effect maybe just 1.5 seconds prior to C2. So if your software miscalculated the time when C2 should occur you could miss the shot. These same effects re-occur just after C3 (third contact time) so you do get two chances to get them.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,548 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 09, 2017 18:49 as a reply to  @ post 18301883 |  #70

Everybody meet at MEL-S place. LOL

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 09, 2017 20:37 |  #71

The USB only connection is adequate for most cases.
The Shoestring or serial shutter connection is faster, especially if you are using more than one camera.
It has nothing to do with Bulb mode. If you take a shot via the USB interface, you have to wait until the camera has completed the operation (including writing to the memory card) before you can take the next shot. That's typically about half a second.
With the shutter release, that restriction doesn't apply and you can take advantage of the camera buffering to rattle off more shots within the the totality window.
The downside is that it's one more USB device to take up a port and/or cause problems.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 12, 2017 08:21 |  #72

Thanks for the USB info. I need to do some experimenting to see what works. If I go with the Shoestring adapter, I guess I still need something to tell the camera the exposure length, unless the interface+software is accurate enough to get to very fast exposures when doing a multiple-exposure set. Still not fully grasping how it will all work.

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's
My Smugmug (external link) | Flickr (external link)

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 12, 2017 15:59 |  #73

Sorry. I didn't make that point too clearly.
Eclipse Orchestrator still controls the camera (sets shutter speed, etc) over the USB connection. It just presses the shutter release with the Shoestring adapter, just as you would with a cable release.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

TCampbell
452 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 12, 2017 17:18 |  #74

timeasterday wrote in post #18376582 (external link)
Thanks for the USB info. I need to do some experimenting to see what works. If I go with the Shoestring adapter, I guess I still need something to tell the camera the exposure length, unless the interface+software is accurate enough to get to very fast exposures when doing a multiple-exposure set. Still not fully grasping how it will all work.

That would be the USB interface. The software written to control eclipse captures is very good at what it does... your efforts to 2nd guess it probably only introduce more risk... not reduce it.

napolar
260 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 19, 2017 21:36 |  #75

Will be heading to my father in laws for the eclipse, he will have 2 minute and 30 seconds of totality. Looking for any advice I can get on this as it is a once in a lifetime deal and I want to both see it and record it! I have downloaded the free version of Eclipse Orchestrator, it looks like it will do all I need. I am looking at getting this https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ltra_solar_obse​rving.html (external link) from B&H, anyone used the filter on a 70 - 200F4L? Is that filter good to show the partial in good detail, should I look at something better? During totality, I have read I can take the filter off, should I have anything on to ensure a good picture? Was thinking ND filter (how strong?) or polarizer? or just the hood an be done with it? Finally, I plan on setting the camera to ISO 200 and lens to F8 - should this be changed?

Any advise would be most appreciated!

Art
5D MKIII
16 - 35 L 24 - 105 L
70 - 200 F4 L 100 - 400 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap

sponsored links

24,728 views & 23 likes for this thread
August, 2017 Total solar eclipse. Too soon to start planning?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.