Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 01 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your 2017 landscapes here

tnick771
165 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by tnick771. (2 edits in all)

Jun 10, 2017 13:15 |  #601

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4214/35180411766_4663b76411_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VALN​Ky  (external link) Geysir (external link) by Tyler Nickel (external link), on Flickr

Canon 6D and a couple lenses, I don't know... just trying the hardest I can :)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
markesc
Goldmember
1,836 posts
Gallery: 605 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 10, 2017 14:44 |  #602

Bcaps wrote in post #18374601 (external link)
There is something about falling water that is just so tranquil that I can just sit and zone out for hours looking and listening to the song the water makes as it crashes over the rocks. Many millennia of falling water has carved and sculpted that central rock into a really interesting shape that showcases the ribbons of water flowing over its surface. This was taken in the Columbia Gorge last fall.

Should really be viewed on black, click the flickr (external link) link to do so.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …159440626/in/ph​otostream/  (external link)
Quicksilver (external link) by David Young (external link) on Flickr

I miss those days where you could go there and just zone out. Now that EVERYONE has decided to move here, it's no better than a trip to a crowded shopping mall during Christmas. You can go on a rainy week day off season, doesn't matter = MASSES of people. So I basically just gave up on most all landscape photography because of the hostile takeover Portland has undergone, and taken up bird photography. A lot more respectful crowd that doesn't pepper you with camera questions, and a lot less of people trying to take the same exact photo as you are, then sizing up your camera/lens.

None the less, great image, it's just frustrating for the ones that grew up here to watch an area get loved to death, and the forest service has basically no budget anymore for trail upkeep, and the people in general don't respect staying on trail. The "rules don't apply to me, I'm special" crowd has ruined the experience even if you're not even there to photograph but just want to zone out/take it all in.

So if you're thinking about moving here, expect to sit in traffic, and expect this as your typical weekend, not the pristine well done image above:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
870 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bcaps. (3 edits in all)

Jun 10, 2017 15:57 |  #603

markesc wrote in post #18375422 (external link)
I miss those days where you could go there and just zone out. Now that EVERYONE has decided to move here, it's no better than a trip to a crowded shopping mall during Christmas. You can go on a rainy week day off season, doesn't matter = MASSES of people. So I basically just gave up on most all landscape photography because of the hostile takeover Portland has undergone, and taken up bird photography. A lot more respectful crowd that doesn't pepper you with camera questions, and a lot less of people trying to take the same exact photo as you are, then sizing up your camera/lens.

None the less, great image, it's just frustrating for the ones that grew up here to watch an area get loved to death, and the forest service has basically no budget anymore for trail upkeep, and the people in general don't respect staying on trail. The "rules don't apply to me, I'm special" crowd has ruined the experience even if you're not even there to photograph but just want to zone out/take it all in.

So if you're thinking about moving here, expect to sit in traffic, and expect this as your typical weekend, not the pristine well done image above:

Yeah, I hear you. I've been to Oneonta a few times and have never seen more than a handful of people there, but that was in early spring and fall (and early in the day), never in the summer . That's pretty insane in your attached photo. And while I have never seen more than 5 or so people at Panther Creek Falls, the delicate moss on the upper falls has been trashed by people walking all over it.

On the other hand, when I visited the Gorge last fall I also went to three other falls and didn't see a soul at two of them and only 3 people at the other one (Falls Creek Falls). When I was hiking in to FCF with my wife, I saw a guy coming towards us hiking out by himself, in a suit and tie. I whispered to my wife, "Look at this guy!". When he got to us he said, "You're a little under dressed, don't you think", and laughed as went on his way. I thought it was pretty funny and realized once we actually got to the falls why he had a suit on. There was a couple there in wedding attire who had just been married by the gentleman who was hiking out :)

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,451 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 10, 2017 20:46 |  #604

I miss those days where you could go there and just zone out. Now that EVERYONE has decided to move here, it's no better than a trip to a crowded shopping mall during Christmas. You can go on a rainy week day off season, doesn't matter = MASSES of people.

Looks dreadful. You are not alone. I know this is going somewhat astray from the purpose of this thread, but this just happened today - forecast was for a high of 95 in Denver, so I drove up to an accessible mountain pass near Denver to beat the heat, it was packed, parking lot was full, road lined with cars, people everywhere (although much more widely dispersed than your photo), seemingly each person with 2 or 3 dogs. I think the great outdoors is becoming more popular, I suspect due to the much wider dissemination of information made possible by the internet - people can see what's out there now on their computer. Of course, as one of those people that is making it crowded, I don't suppose we can exempt ourselves, but yeah, I miss the less crowded good old days. (if you work hard enough at it, you can still beat the crowds, but it takes some work)

Flickr (external link)

5280Pics
Goldmember
2,073 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 11, 2017 01:24 |  #605

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4207/34386690834_42dcc4a938_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UoCM​aU  (external link) DSCF5358 (external link) by Noah (external link), on Flickr

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,014 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 11, 2017 04:09 |  #606

5280Pics wrote in post #18375730 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UoCM​aU  (external link) DSCF5358 (external link) by Noah (external link), on Flickr

Did you have elbow room there, have to get up early to get a good spot.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear flickr (external link)

Kena
160 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 11, 2017 07:42 |  #607

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4250/34408947140_02fb2c8452_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UqAR​cj  (external link)

Canon 5D III, 400D, Canon 24-70 F2.8 L, Canon 16-35 F4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200 F4 L, Manfrotto 405 Pro geared head.

Stiga
Cream of the Crop
7,578 posts
Gallery: 887 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jun 11, 2017 08:18 |  #608

Gatesgarth ?

Nice one :-)

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

5280Pics
Goldmember
2,073 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 11, 2017 11:20 |  #609

Bianchi wrote in post #18375751 (external link)
Did you have elbow room there, have to get up early to get a good spot.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Bianchi in
./showthread.php?p=183​75751&i=i138776131
forum: Nature & Landscapes

I was there about an hour before sunrise. I was the 3rd photog to set up, and within 10 min there were 20 more. probably well over a 100 people there by the time I packed up and left.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,286 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 11, 2017 11:32 |  #610

5280Pics wrote in post #18375930 (external link)
I was there about an hour before sunrise. I was the 3rd photog to set up, and within 10 min there were 20 more. probably well over a 100 people there by the time I packed up and left.

This is why I will likely never bother with some amazing locations. I don't care to share eblow space with everyone trying to get the same shot. I'd rather just see it quietly, enjoy it, and not just hear a bunch of talking, see a bunch of cell phones flashing and sharing eblow space with a bunch of photogs grumbling all feeling the same frustration and annoyance with the constant crowds. Ugh.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,170 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 11, 2017 11:58 |  #611

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by markesc in
./showthread.php?p=183​75422&i=i105968653
forum: Nature & Landscapes

hmm...i've been wanting to do a road trip up there to hit up a bunch of waterfalls...i'm probably going to wait till fall though, as i would suspect that would be less crowds, maybe some fall foliage? i feel like most spots that attract lots of people can still be beautiful in off-seasons, and early mornings to avoid crowds...of course i know nothing of the area, just what i experience around here...i take it most waterfalls still have water in fall, right?

i recently went to fern canyon at the top of california, and there were quite a few people there...so it took a bit of patience to wait for everyone to get out of a shot:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4244/34175007283_1ce64190dc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/U4VR​2v  (external link) p-biglagoon_ 320c (external link) by andre gregoire (external link), on Flickr

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

vasher
321 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 12, 2017 08:42 |  #612

We had a nice leisurely breakfast in Moab before heading out, got there around 8:30 or so, only a couple other people on the trail. Not much drama lighting-wise, but much better for the blood pressure. :-)

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4167/33886496844_c24fe3bcae_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/TCr9​VA  (external link) SW Trip-2585 (external link) by vashnic (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

markesc
Goldmember
1,836 posts
Gallery: 605 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 15, 2017 03:24 |  #613

DreDaze wrote in post #18375952 (external link)
hmm...i've been wanting to do a road trip up there to hit up a bunch of waterfalls...i'm probably going to wait till fall though, as i would suspect that would be less crowds, maybe some fall foliage? i feel like most spots that attract lots of people can still be beautiful in off-seasons, and early mornings to avoid crowds...of course i know nothing of the area, just what i experience around here...i take it most waterfalls still have water in fall, right?

i recently went to fern canyon at the top of california, and there were quite a few people there...so it took a bit of patience to wait for everyone to get out of a shot:
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/U4VR​2v  (external link) p-biglagoon_ 320c (external link) by andre gregoire (external link), on Flickr

Don't want to discourage anyone, just know what to expect. I actually do more wildlife/bird photography now just because of the crowds, it's rewarding in a different way

Bcaps
870 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 17, 2017 14:45 |  #614

DreDaze wrote in post #18375952 (external link)

Some of the falls will have a very low flow that time of year. The can bounce back a bit if the area is getting a lot of rain though.

Nikon D810

Bcaps
870 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 17, 2017 15:07 |  #615

I was there with my wife, just enjoying it more for the beauty than for photography. As I was taking it all in some guy yelled at me to move to get out of his shot. Pretty unbelievable.

Nikon D810

sponsored links

490,389 views & 13,543 likes for this thread
Post your 2017 landscapes here
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.